TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> HMO is now set to be free, second Tivos in a house $6.95/month... <<<

Pages (12): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
terminus303 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for terminus303 Find more posts by terminus303 Add terminus303 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
terminus303
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by sublime
Notice I made an edit (before your post even). What's so hard for you, and others, to comprehend about DirecTV selling off ALL of their non-core assets, not just TiVo? TiVo's current contract with DTV runs through 2007 as it is.

Anyway, back to your prognosticating of doom and gloom. Enjoy.

It could be they are selling off those assets because they are bringing all those services inside. they have the satellites and own a PVR company so maybe they plan to sell satellite music and PVRs themselves and eliminate several of their outside suppliers.

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cletus is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cletus Visit Cletus's homepage! Find more posts by Cletus Add Cletus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cletus
connecticutie

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo
That is incorrect unless they have chaned it recently.
I can't verify right now though as tco is down:

Our apologies. This page is currently unavailable due to maintenance. For activation or account issues, please call TiVo Customer Support toll-free at 1-877-367-8486, between 8am and 8pm Pacific.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We expect to restore this page at 9:00AM Pacific.

They just pushed it another 30 minutes back, to 9:30 PST.

Anyway, it still won't be of any use for me, since I have all series 1 units.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

papabrody is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for papabrody Find more posts by papabrody Add papabrody to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
papabrody

My guess is the NDS box for DirecTV. I don't know what directv would need the TIVO stock cash for unless he is planning to launch more satellites, maybe on a different horizon for those w/out a sw/se exposure. Does anyone have any other ideas what they would use the cash for?

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sublime is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 09:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sublime Visit sublime's homepage! Find more posts by sublime Add sublime to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sublime
Cynic.

quote:
Originally posted by terminus303
It could be they are selling off those assets because they are bringing all those services inside. they have the satellites and own a PVR company so maybe they plan to sell satellite music and PVRs themselves and eliminate several of their outside suppliers.

Or to help pay off their 2.4 billion dollar dept. Hard to say really.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222
It only searches channels you receive. So there's no hoping involved.

I'm wrong.

TCO searches all channels in your lineup. I only have analog basic cable so I receive every channel in my lineup except 1 - HBO. So I never noticed this.

I just did a few searches to test:

"Coupling" - found episodes on my local PBS but not on BBCA since BBCA is not in my lineup

"Sopranos" - did find episodes on HBO but only HBO, not the other flavors of HBO like HBO2. That's because HBO is the only premium channel on my cable providers analog lineup. Even though I do NOT get that channel, TCO searched it

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 11:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

The reason they announce all this stuff simultaneously is to stop the stock from cratering.

The market, by and large, viewed the package of news as, well, non-news.

The market continues to presume that Tivo will be dumped by DirecTV.

The evidence that I see has DirecTV potentially having 25% of their customers on Tivo by the end of next year. They can't roll out an NDS PVR until they have one -- which they don't for DirecTV. In the meantime, they keep signing up people for Tivo.

While News can do whatever it wants, it does not make any sense to have 15-30% of your customers on one DVR and some on another. As time passes, the logic of dumping Tivo passes with it.

If they don't want to pay Tivo $40 million per year, then they ought to renegotiate before the payments get that high. In fact, perhaps they've already done that.

Again, they certainly could do dump Tivo, but given that they are going to a standard UI across the boxes and selling many, many Tivos each day, I'm still unclear how they would.

Mark

Last edited by rogo on 06-09-2004 at 11:34 PM

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 11:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

Another thought....

You have any one box on lifetime, you probably never want to add another one.

"Breakeven" now exceeds 43 months without the time value of money, or is close to 4 years with it. While a box might last longer than that, it's hard to believe too many people will want to risk that it doesn't than gamble that they'll keep it that long.

The Series 1 box with Lifetime that you've had for years becomes a "must keep" because now you can add additional boxes much more cheaply and go with monthly on them....

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 12:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000

So does the 6.95 apply to a Series 1 TiVo? My buddy has a Series 1 Sony that I sold him and is paying 12.95/month for. He also has a Series 2 that has lifetime (but not currently connected to his broadband, I think). Will he get the price break?

listen
get

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

miadlor is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for miadlor Find more posts by miadlor Add miadlor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
miadlor

From TiVo:

"Currently I have more than one monthly subscription on my account. Do I need to do anything to get the Multi-Service Discount?
No, there's nothing you need to do. If you have the monthly billing option, we will automatically change your next billing statement to reflect the new pricing of $6.95 per month. "

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 12:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000

quote:
Originally posted by Peter000
So does the 6.95 apply to a Series 1 TiVo? My buddy has a Series 1 Sony that I sold him and is paying 12.95/month for. He also has a Series 2 that has lifetime (but not currently connected to his broadband, I think). Will he get the price break?
I feel silly quoting myself, but I just called TiVo to ask about this. The discount does apply to a series 1 unit as well. Thanks me.

listen
get

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rseligman is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 12:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rseligman Find more posts by rseligman Add rseligman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rseligman

quote:
Originally posted by morac
According to TiVo's MSD FAQ if you have at least one TiVo with a lifetime subscription on your account, other TiVo's will get the $6.95 a month rate.
It's not just if you have one lifetime sub already. From the same URL:
quote:
In order to be eligible for the discounted monthly service... you must have one box paying the regular monthly fee, annual, or paid in full with product lifetime service.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj

How will Tivo verify "service address"

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skaeight is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 02:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for skaeight Find more posts by skaeight Add skaeight to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skaeight

I'm sure they will either use your IP or the ANI that your tivo is calling from. Although if it's calling a local number I'm not sure if there would be ANI.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrStrange is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrStrange Visit DrStrange's homepage! Find more posts by DrStrange Add DrStrange to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrStrange
Advanced Member

I'm not sure Tivo would care that much. This isn't like DirecTV where a $5 mirroring fee gives a receiver to $35-$100+ dollars worth of service. At a mere $6/box discount and with a limit of 5 discounted receivers per account, I don't forsee any heavy trafficking in black market service-discounted Tivos. Tivo might even find the marketing benefit of getting boxes in other homes worth the six bucks.

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rseligman is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rseligman Find more posts by rseligman Add rseligman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rseligman

quote:
Originally posted by ellinj
How will Tivo verify "service address"
My assumption is that "service address" refers to the mailing address to which the sub is registered, not to an IP address. For instance, a house with two phone lines and a TiVo on each line would still qualify, since both units would be registered to the same service address.

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 03:04 AM
rogo
Advanced Member

More on DirecTV (excerpted to avoid copyright violations)

TiVo-DirecTV Relationship
Is Secure, TiVo Chief Says

By ELLEN SHENG
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
June 9, 2004 3:23 p.m.

TiVo Inc.'s chief executive tried to reassure investors Wednesday that the digital-video recorder company's ties to DirecTV Group are still secure.

Chief Executive Michael Ramsey said the relationship between DirecTV and TiVo is still strong and there is no talk of changing it. "The reality is, we have a great commercial relationship," Mr. Ramsey said, speaking at an investor conference in New York sponsored by Deutsche Bank.

TiVo, which makes digital-video recorders, gets the bulk of its business from a co-marketing agreement with DirecTV, but some have worried that the relationship between the two companies may be loosening since News Corp. took over DirecTV late last year.

Mr. Ramsey emphasized Wednesday that TiVo has gotten strong support from DirecTV, and that the enthusiasm hasn't waned despite recent events. Mr. Ramsey also defended Mr. Hartenstein's resignation from the board, saying "he just didn't have time to do it."

Regarding speculation that DirecTV might be positioning News Corp.-owned NDS to replace TiVo, Mr. Ramsay said, "We're it right now," adding that the relationship won't change "for as long as I can see."

DirecTV is planning on rolling out some new set-top boxes later this year. The boxes, made by Thomson, will incorporate TiVo technology.

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222
I'm wrong.

TCO searches all channels in your lineup. I only have analog basic cable so I receive every channel in my lineup except 1 - HBO. So I never noticed this.

I just did a few searches to test:

"Coupling" - found episodes on my local PBS but not on BBCA since BBCA is not in my lineup

"Sopranos" - did find episodes on HBO but only HBO, not the other flavors of HBO like HBO2. That's because HBO is the only premium channel on my cable providers analog lineup. Even though I do NOT get that channel, TCO searched it

Thanks for checking. As a DirectTV subscriber I often get quite large returns of channels when I do a program search. I use a local lineup for a nearby city but it still includes a lot of channels that really aren't local as well as a bunch of channels I don't get. Unfortunately I am not so intimate with my programming that I know all the channels I receive so it is fairly hard to use unless the program is on a major network.

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timckelley is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 03:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for timckelley Find more posts by timckelley Add timckelley to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timckelley
No Friends Have TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
PS - don't forget RF modulators , etc.. as a way to have one TiVo show up on every TV in the house

That's what I do. hehehe!

Signal source: Time Warner analog cable, no box

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrlajoie is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 05:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrlajoie Find more posts by mrlajoie Add mrlajoie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrlajoie

I would think that the best way for TIVO to handle satisfying the users who have paid for HMO would be to offer a $50 rebate on any FUTURE Tivo unit. Think about it, you already have HMO, and the least expensive TIVO's are running around $199. That would bring the price down to $150, plus you would only have to pay $6.95 for the monthly service! Even if you connect the second unit to STANDARD cable or Antenna you would be able to watch anything that you record with your primary unit.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

eao is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 09:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for eao Find more posts by eao Add eao to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eao

quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
Here it comes - people who bought at the full price wanting a bone thrown to them apparently believing every price drop should be made retroactive to date "X" where "X' is "the day I bought it". Oddly nobody makes the same request when prices go up.

Prices change. You paid what it cost at the time you bought it. Tomorrow it may cost something else. Life's like that. Deal.

This argument doesn't hold water for a couple of reasons.

For one, if I buy something at the store today and it goes on sale in a week, I can go into the store and get the difference refunded to me. I haven't seen TiVo making such concessions. I bought in at the top of the market long ago so I'm not asking for that but some customers were screwed by this.

Second, as mentioned in other posts, this is a service you pay for, not an asset. So, when TiVo devalues it instantly to $0, it's not like when Maxtor lowers the price on my hard drive because something better comes along. I can't resell this service for any value whereas I could recover value for an asset like a hard drive.

TiVo is well within their rights to charge whatever they want for their service. Personally, I think this could have been handled better with a "We recognize you're a loyal customer" email; that would suffice for me. Instead, I find out from the news letter about the "new" feature. That's crap, it's a slap in the face to the early adopters who would help pull along future developments.

As you say, that's life. My response is that for my next pvr, I will build a freevo and have full control over all the features, drives, access and media I want while not waiting for another service to be devalued from under me. As an early adopter, that's both my ability and prerogative, a prerogative that is highly influenced by the lack of tact with which this was handled. That's capitalism and I'm an angry consumer, deal.

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged