TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Big screen Now Playing logo burned on screen.... <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Piggers is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Piggers Find more posts by Piggers Add Piggers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Piggers
FavoriteColorIsClear

Angry Big screen Now Playing logo burned on screen....

Ok here it goes.....tonight I noticed the logo on the Now Playing screen is burning into our 2000.00 big screen. I am very upset about this because we have only had the tv for 4 months.

The burning seems to be a big issue with big screens. That I understand. Most of the stations are taking that into consideration and animating there logos or displaying them for a few seconds every so often.

My question.....is there a hack out there to make the Now Playing screen transparent?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 02:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

You can change the time out before Now Playing reverts to Live TV; I think TW lets you set that.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

doogie is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 05:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for doogie Find more posts by doogie Add doogie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doogie

Have you setup your brightness and contrast correctly with a setup DVD or something? Having correct white and black levels should dramatically help preventing burn in.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Piggers is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 07:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Piggers Find more posts by Piggers Add Piggers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Piggers
FavoriteColorIsClear

quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
You can change the time out before Now Playing reverts to Live TV; I think TW lets you set that.

I am not sure how to do this is TW. Any steps you may know of to do this? I have read on the other forum about transparentcy but nothing concrete. I also read that leaving the -f9999 or something like that out of the mfstools command line during backup process will do this. If that is the case then there must be a way to manually change this.

At this point I would prefer to delete the icon totally or make the background black.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 07:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by doogie
Have you setup your brightness and contrast correctly with a setup DVD or something? Having correct white and black levels should dramatically help preventing burn in.

I'd agree you most likely have your contrast set way too high. You can buy the Avia DVD (and another whose name I cannot recall right now) to set your DVD player. Then record a movie on Tivo and compare it to a DVD to get your Tivo settings correct. Hopefully you have a TV that remembers the settings for different inputs--it you don't--it's a PITA.

But beyond that, is there some reason you're leaving the Tivo on the Now Playing display (or some other screen)? It will revert to live TV after X number of minutes (I don't think you can change it), but there's really no reason you should be leaving it there in the first place.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rwhitlow is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rwhitlow Find more posts by rwhitlow Add rwhitlow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rwhitlow
Posting Deficient

I've never had a problem with the Now Playing causing a Burn-in, but it has been pretty common knowledge that there is a risk of burn-in in Big Screen Technology.

I've never let a video game be hooked up to mine for that very reason. I also lecture the kids constantly on turning the TV off when they are not watching.

You think this is a prob, what about the guys who spent $6-10K on plasma, only to fond their burn-in even worse!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18
TiVo Forum Special Member

I've had a Tivo on my big screen for nearly 3 years, and have no burn-in at all.. I agree with the others, my guess is you have your brightness and contrast set too high.. Note that most RPTV manufacturers ship them with the settings way too high, and need to be lowered.

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Piggers is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:16 PM
Piggers
FavoriteColorIsClear

quote:
Originally posted by maharg18
I've had a Tivo on my big screen for nearly 3 years, and have no burn-in at all.. I agree with the others, my guess is you have your brightness and contrast set too high.. Note that most RPTV manufacturers ship them with the settings way too high, and need to be lowered.

Yeah I do see where you are coming from with the contrast and brightness. They are all set pretty low. On a scale of 1 to 63 they are all setup to 30. That is as low as I can go without the screen looking to dark.

There is a guy who has accomplished the transparent screens but he would not disclose how he did it. So it is all a guessing game from here.

I downloaded his screen shot.

On the other forum the thread is called "Transparent GUIDE to LIVE TV!!!!"

Attachment: image001.jpg
This has been downloaded 398 time(s).

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

philwojo is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for philwojo Find more posts by philwojo Add philwojo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philwojo

That still won't help you. There are still static images left on the screen.

Any static image left on the screen for a long time will burn-in to your screen.

You really need to get Avia of Digital Video Essentials (DVE for short) and calibrate your settings. The contrast and brighteness work in conjuctions with one another. If you don't have them set properly you will not have a good picture.

Also, keep in mind, that all RPTV come from the factory with a very bad grey-scale setup. Meaning not all grey's are equal. This also causes the picture to be darker than it should sometimes. If you really want to make you RPTV look great, look in to a professional calibration of your TV, not cheap, but the difference is night and day.

As a possible fix to your current burn-in I have read and some people claim that leaving your tv on a station that isn't broadcasting and gives you SNOW on your screen can get ride of the burn-in. It may be worth a shot. I have read that it at least reduces the effect. It seems they leave it on a snow pattern for several hours, it is supposed to even out the phosper wear on your tv.

Hope that helps, and get that setup DVD at minimum to keep this for happening again.

phil

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Piggers is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:46 PM
Piggers
FavoriteColorIsClear

I will give that a shot. I thank you all for your feedback.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gotxp is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gotxp Find more posts by gotxp Add gotxp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gotxp

quote:
Originally posted by Piggers
Yeah I do see where you are coming from with the contrast and brightness. They are all set pretty low. On a scale of 1 to 63 they are all setup to 30. That is as low as I can go without the screen looking to dark.

There is a guy who has accomplished the transparent screens but he would not disclose how he did it. So it is all a guessing game from here.

I downloaded his screen shot.

On the other forum the thread is called "Transparent GUIDE to LIVE TV!!!!"

The reason it is transparent is b/c the menu backgrounds are missing from the mfs... There are some scripts floating around that will do this... I restored an incompleate backup once that didnt have those menus and I must say it is kinda kewl at first but the menu backgrounds give an exta tivo pazaa...

I also agree that the text is what would mainly burn in since the background is slightly animated anyway...

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Piggers is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 09:01 PM
Piggers
FavoriteColorIsClear

The only logo that actually burned in screen was the directv logo on the top left corner of screen of the now playing list. No text or anything else burned in.

The reason I asked for a transparent hack was because the disney logo on the bottom left corner of screen is there for hours per day. Now that is transparent and I don't have that image burned in screen. Basically my thoughts were to make that transparent like the disney logo it would not be a issue anylonger. Or maybe possibly get rid of the logo completely.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

quote:
Originally posted by Piggers
I am not sure how to do this is TW..

Resource Editor -> Constants -> TimeOutToLiveTV

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Piggers is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:33 AM
Piggers
FavoriteColorIsClear

Could anyone post a copy of the resource editor. I cannot seem to find it anywhere. It seems like I have everything but that tivoweb module.

Thanks

Update: I did try and type the tivo/resources because the resource editor link was not visible. It did bring up the page but there are no resource groups to choose from. I am doing a reboot after update resources to see what happens.

Last edited by Piggers on 06-22-2004 at 02:27 AM

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Piggers is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 03:11 AM
Piggers
FavoriteColorIsClear

Well I could not get the Constants link to come up in the resource editor so I looked for a different allternative.

I found a script called TCTimout.tcl. You can set the timeout period to whatever you want. I set the now playing screen to timeout after 20 seconds. That should keep the now playing or any directv/tivo menu from staying up for longs periods of time.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JJBliss is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JJBliss Visit JJBliss's homepage! Find more posts by JJBliss Add JJBliss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JJBliss
tivo.cjb.net

Glad it helped. You use it to timeout quckcly, and I wrote it for myself so that it never times out.... I thought about speeding things up after the fact.

Good to see it used for something else....

JJ

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged