Registered: Nov 2000
Location: Wilmette, IL USA
Upgrading SA1 - Choices, Choices -> Opinions?
Ok, I've finally decided to get around to upgrading (again) my old Philips HDR112 from it's current 60GB drive. Since I've got todlers, I don't get to use the box much anymore because the 60GB drive is always full of things like Dora and Blues Clues
Well, I picked up a new WD 160GB drive ($23 after tax and rebate) so that is an easy choice. Since I was going to pop open the box, I also figured it would be the perfect time to also drop in some networking so the Cachecard seems the logical choice. That would enable me to load some fun utilities and also perhaps schedule some programs to watch for myself. I've been lurking on the >137GB thread, as well as several others trying to decide just what to load, and I thought it would be an ideal question to pose to the group.
So, a few questions....
1) With the 160GB drive, should I bother with LBA48, or not. I'll get a few more hours (~25 or so at basic), but have to deal with what appears to be a semi-stable patch. The space would be nice, and it seems unlikely (or is that a certainty) that the SA1 will never get an update beyond the current version of 3.01 (from memory). Too bad the now "free" HMO will never be back ported for those with network cards.
2) Assuming I go for the LBA48, which CD image download is "best" for booting off the CD and doing a full copy of the 60GB to the 160GB with subsequent expansion. I need to keep all those older recordings if I value my daddy-hood.
3) Is there any advantage to the electriclegs RAM upgrade if I get the cache card with at least 256MB of PC100 on it?
4) Ok, so I've got the drive and cache card in. I'm going to load Telnet, FTP, and at least TiVoWeb. What additional utilities (and/or TiVoWeb modules) do people consider "must-haves"? I realize a few are probably not allowed to be discussed, but of those that ARE, which would you recommend?
5) Any place to get a discount on the cache card or is 9th tee the only place to get it?
6) With all the extra space, has anyone used the mode "0" hack to improve upon best quality? Opinions?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by gof on 06-25-2004 at 01:56 AM
POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator
| IP: Logged