TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Need to move dish - mounting help required <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
elucas is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for elucas Find more posts by elucas Add elucas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elucas

Unhappy Need to move dish - mounting help required

After 8 years of great signal, some trees have finally started to block my dish. Time to move it... Currently it's mounted on my home's south facing wall and my only recourse is to mount it on the west side of my house on the rafter or on the west wall under the eaves. Dish faces SSE. I tried to attach my current mount to my rafter, but because of my cement roofing tiles and length of the dish pole, couldn't turn the dish far enough south. It appears that I'm faced with having to purchase another mount. Any suggestions?

I did try calling DirecTV. For $99 they'd have someone come out and move the dish. I told them that was out of line, so they offered me $60 off of Starz over the next 6 months. Still not worth the hassle for me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zechman is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zechman Find more posts by zechman Add zechman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zechman
Alpha Geek

IMHO you can easily rack up $40 in just materials, let alone the time involved.

I'd take up DTV on the offer of sending out an installer, unless you know that the installer(s) in your area are lousy.

--Dwayne

DSR6000 #1: 185hrs/200G/LBA Kernel/CacheCard/",#401"
DSR6000 #2: Stock 2-drive with the bad remote
and one shiny new HR10-250!!!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jon J is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jon J Find more posts by Jon J Add Jon J to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jon J
Yes. I did it.

Re: Need to move dish - mounting help required

quote:
Originally posted by elucas
...they offered me $60 off of Starz over the next 6 months.
I would have snapped up that offer real quick.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Stanley Rohner is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stanley Rohner Find more posts by Stanley Rohner Add Stanley Rohner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stanley Rohner
Advanced Member

IMHO
There's no guarantee the "pro" installer is going to do a "pro" job. You'd be better off doing it yourself.

They usually just come out and slap the thing on your house and get to the next place as fast as they can. You've already put more thought into it than they will. The "pro" that did my bro-in-laws house didn't even mount the bracket on a stud. It was installed right into the thin roofing boards.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

steuert is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for steuert Find more posts by steuert Add steuert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steuert
TivoGeezer

"Still not worth the hassle for me."

I agree with the posters who have suggested letting DTV do the work, for a net cost to you after the Starz credit of $40. It is not too difficult to monitor the work the installer's doing, and usually if you suggest a couple places to him where you'd like to have the dish installed he will oblige.

On the other hand, if you've had your dish for 8 years it is probably the older round 2 LNB model. Often DTV will supply and install a new 3 LNB "multi-sat" dish w/o charge if you plan to add some revenue-producing programming. I too have been a subscriber for about 8 years, and when they added the Tucson locals, for which I will need the multi-sat dish, they offered to provide one free, although I did have to talk to customer retention to get it free - the first CSR insisted I would have to pay $50, and sometimes they try to add a $15 s/h charge.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged