TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Two movies worth catching: Mambo Italiano / Kilometer Zero <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dswallow is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

Two movies worth catching: Mambo Italiano / Kilometer Zero

Of the last 8 DVD's I've watched, 2 stand out as things I really enjoyed. Maybe it's just that the other 6 were so bad...

Mambo Italiano
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330602/ (Trailers available)

This comedy with Paul Sorvino is filled with Italian humor. The story is sometimes a little forced, but the actors still manage to give performances that make those forced moments forgivable. Someone reviewing it at IMDB calls it a cross betweek Kiss Me Guide and My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and I'd say that's a pretty accurate way to convey the story. If you're looking for something a little different in a comedy, this little gem is worth viewing.

KM.0 (Kilometer Zero)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251777/

I hate Spanish. I hate listening to people speak Spanish. It grates on my nerves. But after 20 minutes of getting into this story, that was all forgotten. It's an amusing romp through a day where a number of people make plans to meet at a public place, and some of them end up getting confused and going off with the wrong person. The stories all are intertwined around each other with a mix of drama and a bit of romance in some strange places, and while there's an amateurish quality to the writing, I'm not sure that isn't just a cultural difference, since I find I can make that comment for a lot of foreign films -- and I sort of doubt they're all made by amateurs. Anyway, if you're in the mood to deal with subtitles, and come across this movie, have some confidence that it's an interesting story.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WinBear is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WinBear Find more posts by WinBear Add WinBear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WinBear
13EEE

Oh, is Km. 0 now available in the US for rental? I've sort of been waiting for that. I "discovered" it on IMDB about a year ago.

Mambo Italiano was a lot of fun. The comparison between the other 2 movies seems fairly apt. I saw this in the theatre and noticed some of the bit parts in the credits and wanted to rewind to see if I could spot them.

Similarly, I recommend "Camp" which has been out on DVD for a few months. I never thought I was all that into showtunes, but this movie made me buy the soundtrack. It's about a summer camp for musical theatre. A beautiful straight boy arrives and becomes the center of attention. His story and the young drag queen's are the most fleshed out. I was really left wanting to see more of the story about the 2 black girls who performed the opening and "big moment" songs. The kids are enthusiastic and the songs are infectious.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged