TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> DirecTV support of DVR's is so laughable, but it's just not funny. <<<

Pages (11): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 09:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlankMan Find more posts by BlankMan Add BlankMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlankMan
TiVo Forum Special Member

DirecTV support of DVR's is so laughable, but it's just not funny.

<updated 26-jan-2004>

Ok so the issue here that I brought up with DirecTV was a bad example and the unit is probably operating as designed.

But the point of this thread was to show how bad DirecTV's Support is. If you're in doubt, check out this thread that has been running for 8 months detailing a problem that has been around for over a year, approaching two years. Even though TiVo representatives were able to reproduce the problem and contacted DirecTV regarding it, DirecTV to this day still denies it exists.

And their response to the TiVo employees was to tell them to not comment on it any more. Can you say Coverup?

The DirecTV coverup thread.

<Original post>

Ok I send this this:

quote:
I'm currently listening to Channel 841 Blues. It shows the name of the song and the artist on the screen for each song, but then after a while it no longer does that until I force it to display the info via the remote. Why is this happening? Why does it stop? I want to see the name of the song and the artist without having to do anything. Now, I'm not talking about it putting up the info at the start of the song then blanking it during the song to prevent screen burn-in then displaying the info again when the next songs starts for the next song, it stops completely until I intervene. Why? This is a Sony SAT-T60 Receiver with TiVo, a DVR, that you support.

Can anyone guess what their answer was?
quote:
Thank you for writing. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing
problems with your DIRECTV system. Resetting your system can resolve
many of the problems you could be experiencing. To reset your system,
follow these steps:

1. Turn off the receiver box.
2. Unplug it from the electrical outlet.
3. Leave it unplugged for 15 seconds.
4. Reconnect it to the electrical outlet and return to normal viewing.

If this does not resolve your problem, please call our technical support
center. To reach them, call 1-800-531-5000 and select the option for
technical assistance.

Think I'll keep this thread going and update it every time this happens, maybe if DirecTV gets wind of this thread they can be shamed into improving customer support, nothing else is helping. Or at least anyone considering getting a DirecTV DVR and comes here will know what their in for. I welcome everyone to post their 'Reboot the DTiVo response here too. I think I've got a couple more around I might dig up and post.

<added>

Since quite a few people are focusing on the rather unimportant issue I used as an example here, I have decided to add the purpose of this thread here and state a few facts.

Purpose: To show that DirecTV's email support is ineffective (And support on the whole). To show that DirecTV's usual first response is to reboot the DVR pretty much regardless of the problem. To show that they always want you to call. Even though the example issue used here is trivial and actually most likely working as designed, DirecTV's response was to Reboot the DVR. Their answer was to Reboot the unit to fix a nonexistent problem?? It does not appear they read, understood, or researched the issue contained in the problem statement. In this case my complaining about a trivial issue appears to strengthen the purpose of this thread.

Fact: DirecTV has an email support mechanism.

Fact: Numerous posters have stated DirecTV's email support is ineffective.

Fact: I choose to use DirecTV's email support system.

Fact: I expect to get a reasonable level of support when using DirecTV's email support system.

Fact: The purpose of this thread is to enlighten potential DirecTV customers that DirecTV's Support leaves a lot to be desired regardless of the method of communicating with them. (Existing customers pretty much know this already.)

Fact: Numerous DirecTV customers that have been experiencing the Favorite Channels and Channels I Receive loss problem have contacted DirecTV by phone also. DirecTV still has not acknowledged the problem exists while numerous TiVo employees have acknowledged that there is a problem and even this fact has been brought to DirecTV's attention.

SAT-T60 230h TurboNET (x2)
HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

Last edited by BlankMan on 01-27-2004 at 03:15 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spaceghost is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 10:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spaceghost Find more posts by spaceghost Add spaceghost to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spaceghost

Yeah, I've got a thread going detailing my trouble with DTV support(Fed up with DTV protection plan...). I'm on the fourth receiver they have sent me, and none have worked correctly. The latest one is rebooting whenever it records after a couple of days use - I can wipe the system and it fixes it for a couple of days, but then it starts happening again. The tech support person I most recently spoke with told me that the problem was because I had the receiver plugged into a surge protector and that I need to plug it directly into the wall. This sounds like a load of crap to me, but I'm trying it to so what happens - so far though, their support sucks. I've been without full use of my service for over a month now.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bonscott87 is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 11:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonscott87 Find more posts by bonscott87 Add bonscott87 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonscott87
Lets go Red Wings!

By the way, the display is *supposed* to disappear after 15-20 seconds. It's by design to help prevent burn in.

Hughes E86 HD STB
MX-500 remote and 43" Hitachi widescreen HDTV
Vonage phone service, no landline!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 01:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlankMan Find more posts by BlankMan Add BlankMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
By the way, the display is *supposed* to disappear after 15-20 seconds. It's by design to help prevent burn in.
Doh! I think I pretty much said that if you read and understand my problem statement, the problem is it doesn't come back on with the next song.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 01:58 PM
BlankMan

Ok, so I sent them this:

quote:
You have got to be kidding? Reboot it? That is your answer for every
problem with a DVR? That did not solve it. I will not waste my time and
call in, you cannot solve a software issue over the phone. There are no
parameters you can change to solve this. Escalate this to some one that
knows DVR's. Rebooting is not the answer. You people are just unreal.
Reboot. Reboot. Reboot. That's all you know. Now let's move on and get
this addressed.

So they sent me this:
quote:
Thank you for writing. We are sorry that you are having technical
problems with your DIRECTV system. Since it can be difficult to
troubleshoot technical problems via e-mail, we ask that you call our
technical support center. To reach them, simply call 1-800-531-5000 and
select the option for technical assistance. If you do not wish to call
in, you can visit the list of troubleshooting messages located on our
web site at DIRECTV.com/messages
Find the message that appears at the bottom of your screen or the
problem that you are experiencing and follow the suggested solution.

Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience. Please let us know if we can
be of further assistance.

So I sent them this:
quote:
Look, before I waste a half hour on the phone and you transferring me to
a half a dozen people and finally connect me to the Sony DVR
representative, I gave you a very detailed problem statement, I'm going
to call you and you're going to connect me with Sony and they're going
to say this isn't a hardware problem so what are you going to be able to
do to fix a software issue over the phone? I have stated there are no
parameters that you can change that would have any affect on this issue.
So why do you repeatedly tell me to call? I have done that with you in
the past, you have never been able to correct a software problem over
the phone. If your list troubleshooting messages have a solution to this
why don't you forward me that information? You know why? Because there
is nothing there that can fix this problem.

Now please stop wasting time and route this to someone that can address
this and stop telling me to call you.

DirecTV just fails to understand.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BTUx9 is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 03:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BTUx9 Find more posts by BTUx9 Add BTUx9 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BTUx9

Do I hear an amen? *AMEN*

They should just have an auto-responder reply to emails with "DirecTV does not currently offer this method of support"

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Phantom Gremlin is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 04:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Phantom Gremlin Find more posts by Phantom Gremlin Add Phantom Gremlin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phantom Gremlin

If DTV / Tivo were smart, they would make sure that EVERY rep that is allowed to answer Tivo related questions actually HAS a Tivo at home.

Of course, the way the "outsource to Bangalore" trend is going, there won't be much point to that. How many degrees UNDER the horizon will they need to point their dishes to aim at the 101 satellite? :-)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bonscott87 is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonscott87 Find more posts by bonscott87 Add bonscott87 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonscott87
Lets go Red Wings!

quote:
Originally posted by BlankMan
Doh! I think I pretty much said that if you read and understand my problem statement, the problem is it doesn't come back on with the next song.

Ahhhhhhhh! Sorry about that. Guess I missed that point. I don't watch music channels too much. If anything I think it gets stuck in the "on" mode and never goes away more then anything.

Hope you get some answers. Good luck on that. One thought, have you tried other music channels, does the same thing happen? Maybe it's a problem with a particular channel.

Hughes E86 HD STB
MX-500 remote and 43" Hitachi widescreen HDTV
Vonage phone service, no landline!

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SpankWare Find more posts by SpankWare Add SpankWare to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SpankWare

What I would like to know is why anybody actually thinks they're going to get anything other than a canned response on an initial email. You don't honestly believe somebody sits there and actually reads through the problem and applies logic to it do you? And that response back to them? Yeah, that's going to get you some quality technical support. I bet they were just itching to hook you up with somebody who could help you.

Rude on the phone is one thing, but by email? What were you thinking......

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark W is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 11:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mark W Find more posts by Mark W Add Mark W to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark W

Do regular DTV receivers keep the information on the screen?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-21-2003 11:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SpankWare Find more posts by SpankWare Add SpankWare to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SpankWare

quote:
Originally posted by Mark W
Do regular DTV receivers keep the information on the screen?

My Ultimate TV units would enable the screen saver after a while, as would my last "regular" receiver.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:20 AM
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by SpankWare
Rude on the phone is one thing, but by email? What were you thinking......
I have a whole mail folder dedicated to DirecTV and for every problem statement I have sent in the first response has been to Reboot the TiVo and if that doesn't help call in. It is not an automated response it is a person and it is signed by a person.

The rudeness is due to the frustration that they always answer Reboot the TiVo and/or call in, they never really try to understand the problem or research the problem or transfer the ticket to someone that can help. I don't know how they think they can fix a software issue by talking on the phone, that would be a good trick. I've worked in IT for 25+ years, I know how to write a problem statement when dealing with software or hardware vendors. I know what can and what can't be fixed over the phone. With no user modifiable parameters on a TiVo and no ability for a user to apply software patches, not much can be done.

They get what they deserve.

This thread is going to serve the purpose of making people that getting support from DirecTV for their DVR's is futile. Maybe it will sway some people to not purchase DirecTV DVR's, if that happens, I do believe that will get DirecTV's attention. At some point I will forward this URL of this thread to DirecTV. A lot of people come here to gather information before they buy, TiVo has a link to this site, I will be sure to keep this thread in the limelight. Unless DirecTV is just that arrogant or stupid, I believe eventually they have to react, businesses do not like bad press.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jack1313 is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jack1313 Find more posts by jack1313 Add jack1313 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack1313

So, last night my DirecTV goes on the fritz...When I run the "signal strength" test on my DSR6000, I get no signal at all from the 101 SAT, but a 93 signal level from the 110 and 119. My non-DVR (Samsung) D* receiver stopped receiving anything as well. We've been experiencing some nasty weather in the northeast (wind, rain), so I call D* and tell them I think I have a problem with my dish, seeing as how I am not receiving a signal on either of my receivers from one of their SATs. They, of course, told me to reboot my receiver. I said "I have this problem on multiple receivers"....Literally, 5 minutes of silence ensued. Their CS is just unbelievably bad.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:41 AM
SpankWare

quote:
Originally posted by BlankMan
I have a whole mail folder dedicated to DirecTV and for every problem statement I have sent in the first response has been to Reboot the TiVo and if that doesn't help call in. It is not an automated response it is a person and it is signed by a person.

And yet despite this you still continue to email them and continue to get angry by the response you get. That just flat out makes no sense. You've got your own documented proof that they're going to tell you the same thing no matter what. And yet you still email them. Do you enjoy getting kicked in the face as well?

I'm all for better customer service, but I don't think you're going to find it with DirecTV via email. If you have an issue, you're better off phoning them up directly. That way, when they tell you to reboot, you can explain you have, or how it won't help or whatever. They have a standard way of dealing with things, it's called a process and they are following it.

Wouldn't it make more sense to call them up and deal with the issue head on, rather than sending an email that you know by your own documentation will require multiple communications causing you to grow so frustrated that you feel the need to vent on a public forum? Come on, you could have managed all this with a phone call and saved us from hearing about it.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pdvale is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pdvale Find more posts by pdvale Add pdvale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pdvale

It's my understanding that music channels have no Tivo support or DVR functionality. You cannot schedule recordings, pause live buffer, etc...

Seems like your just trying to raise your blood pressure.....

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:56 AM
BlankMan

quote:
And yet despite this you still continue to email them and continue to get angry by the response you get. That just flat out makes no sense. You've got your own documented proof that they're going to tell you the same thing no matter what. And yet you still email them. Do you enjoy getting kicked in the face as well?

I'm all for better customer service, but I don't think you're going to find it with DirecTV via email. If you have an issue, you're better off phoning them up directly. That way, when they tell you to reboot, you can explain you have, or how it won't help or whatever. They have a standard way of dealing with things, it's called a process and they are following it.

Wouldn't it make more sense to call them up and deal with the issue head on, rather than sending an email that you know by your own documentation will require multiple communications causing you to grow so frustrated that you feel the need to vent on a public forum? Come on, you could have managed all this with a phone call and saved us from hearing about it.

Have you ever done what you preach? You must work for DirecTV or be affiliated with them. Have you ever spent a half hour, forty five minutes, hour, on the phone getting transferred from person to person having to explain the problem over and over to each one? Then get disconnected on a transfer and have to call back and start the process all over again?

They say that they email is not a good way to solve technical issues. What really surprises me is that I deal with Oracle, Sun, Hp, Compaq, Dell, DEC, etc. for many years and it seems to work very well for all of them.

Have you seen this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=115194

They want me to call them for that one too. Now tell, just how are they going to fix that over the phone?

Maybe, just maybe, if I could call them and reference the ticket number that I got with their response so they could look up the ticket and I would not have to explain it again to six different people I might call, but they have never offered that option nor do I think they have the ability to do that.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Joe Siegler is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Siegler Visit Joe Siegler's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Siegler Add Joe Siegler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Siegler

quote:

I was wondering this myself. It's well known that their support well.. sucks. KNowing that before you send an email hoping something will chance seems counter productive, and akin to rowing a boat with one oar and complaining you're not going anywhere else but in a circle.

And I've actually found their voice support to be pretty good. The only time I had any issues with them was when I was taking part in a TiVo hardware beta program, but then I kind of expected problems when calling about a beta issue.

-----------
Philips DSR6000 & Hughes HDVR2 - Both unmodified

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:00 AM
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by pdvale
It's my understanding that music channels have no Tivo support or DVR functionality. You cannot schedule recordings, pause live buffer, etc...

Seems like your just trying to raise your blood pressure.....

What does any of this have to do with the name and artist of the song displaying at the start of each song? In my case not displaying, that is the issue.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:05 AM
BlankMan

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Siegler
I was wondering this myself. It's well known that their support well.. sucks. KNowing that before you send an email hoping something will chance seems counter productive, and akin to rowing a boat with one oar and complaining you're not going anywhere else but in a circle.

And I've actually found their voice support to be pretty good. The only time I had any issues with them was when I was taking part in a TiVo hardware beta program, but then I kind of expected problems when calling about a beta issue.

Oh I agree, I'm setting myself up, I'm trying to leverage this medium to get this issue way out in the open so it becomes common knowledge of the general public. If public opinion starts to form outside of this community that DirecTV support is useless, I can't see how they cannot stand up and take notice. That type reputation regardless of their J.D. Powers award will affect sales.

Why do I feeling that the general consensus is to just roll over and take it?

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:09 AM
BlankMan

quote:
A Come on, you could have managed all this with a phone call and saved us from hearing about it.
You have the choice to ignore this thread, I do not have a choice where I can go elsewhere and get any support.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged