TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Using Digiguide to set manual recordings via TiVo web <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dialanothernumb is offline Old Post 11-10-2003 03:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dialanothernumb Find more posts by dialanothernumb Add dialanothernumb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dialanothernumb

Digiguide Marker for TiVoweb manual recordings

Big thanks to Paul Webster, who developed Dabdig, a script linked to Digiguide markers, there is now a release of dabdig that will set a manual recording in tivoweb, from a right click on a programme in the Digiguide EPG.

For a copy of dabdig (DABDig.vbe 2.44b11), go to his site).

What's needed are:
Subscription to Digiguide
Dabdig beta (as above)
Tivoweb
Manual Recording module by Chris Wingert for Tivoweb

You will need to set digiguide with the channel id's assigned by the TiVo. To get these Channel IDs, fire up Tivoweb and click on User Interface > Channel Guide > All, then View Source, and save as a text file.

Recordings and behaviour are exactly as seen with the Manual Record module. This is NOT a practical replacement for the subscription service, simply an automation of the one-off recording method on Tivoweb.

Thanks are also due to the developers of TiVoweb and its excellent module, ManRec!

Last edited by dialanothernumb on 11-10-2003 at 04:11 PM

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bobnick is offline Old Post 11-10-2003 03:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobnick Find more posts by bobnick Add bobnick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobnick
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by RobBellis
What it needs to do is log on here, post to the errors thread, page Jim from Tribune and keeps on nagging every minute until it's fixed.

Now that's a killer app.

What a brilliant thougt! Gave me a great big laugh on a Monday morning!

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 11-10-2003 04:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

You're reading my mind Rob.

BTW, can any of you real programmers point me towards an algorithm for working out a % match between two strings? A straight == is pulling up alot of false positives because of minor differences in the titles of shows.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 11-10-2003 05:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
... can any of you real programmers point me towards an algorithm for working out a % match between two strings?
If the differences are mainly in missing words, then:
  1. Uppercase both strings.

2. Ideally, remove the second instance of any consonant that occurs in pairs.

3. Parse both texts into words, based upon separators that aren't in the characters A-Z,0-9.

4. Create a % of the words in the first string that match the words in the second string.

5. Create a % of the words in the second string that match the words in the first string.

6. Use the higher % of the two that were calculated above.
If the problems are mainly in misspelling, convert the words to a more-limited alphabet based upon Soundex.

A more sophisticated version would contain a word thesaurus (e.g. Ltd = Limited, etc).

Ian.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 11-10-2003 05:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Ta

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 05:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pgogborn Find more posts by pgogborn Add pgogborn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pgogborn

quote:
BTW, can any of you real programmers point me towards an algorithm for working out a % match between two strings? A straight == is pulling up alot of false positives because of minor differences in the titles of shows.

The Radio Times PDA edition is not considered as versatile and is more expensive than the Digiguide PDA version, but have you considered giving it a look to see if there is better title matching with Tribune (and perhaps better last minute schedule change info)?

You can get a trial download here >
http://radiotimes.tvcompass.com/rt/Home.aspx

You are now collecting a lot of data - if you are not doing so already, it could be useful in keeping a permanent record of some of it in a 'standard' database (for example main title/episode title/date of airing of programmes that have passed through your EPG). You previously mentioned MySQL in connection with TiVoWeb, TiVo Inc are recruiting MySQL developers for future applications, so MySQL may be a good choice

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 05:41 PM
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Right now the data is transient - the TiVo is downloading only the relevant page of data.

I have no idea at all if RT is better or worse than Digiguide for last minute chnages - anyone have any experience?

The title matchin is not bad - 95% perfect in fact, but there are a few (SMarteenies instead of Smarteenies, Enterprise instead of Star Trek: Enterprise)

I have yet to find a genuine mismatch in the data!

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dialanothernumb is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 05:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dialanothernumb Find more posts by dialanothernumb Add dialanothernumb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dialanothernumb

Where does DG get its listings from? I had an idea (on what basis I don't know) that it was tribune as well.

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 05:55 PM
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

They do their own.

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 06:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pgogborn Find more posts by pgogborn Add pgogborn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pgogborn

quote:

The title matchin is not bad - 95% perfect in fact, but there are a few (SMarteenies instead of Smarteenies

I expect there is an option to force a case insensitive == comparison.
quote:

I have yet to find a genuine mismatch in the data!

I doubt if such hard data will be enough to kill the DigiGuide/Tribune had the more accurate data debate.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dialanothernumb is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 06:03 PM
dialanothernumb

Well, I guess ultimately, the listings come from the broadcaster and the differences would be in level of detail and speed of update. That might vary in the relationship each broadcaster has with each listings company. i.e. if tribune paid more to Sky for their channel info than DG did, they get more detail or more frequent updates?

I only ask because I would have thought understanding the lstings would be useful in provisioning the TiVo with the best update.

Stuart I imagine you are way ahead of me on this anyway

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 06:16 PM
pgogborn

quote:
Originally posted by dialanothernumb
Where does DG get its listings from? I had an idea (on what basis I don't know) that it was tribune as well.

When it comes to episode descriptions, numbers etc, DigiGuide accepts contributions via anybody making a web posting >
http://www.digiguide.com/dev/dgepisode/

I will leave it open to debate as to what sort of editorial control is exercised on such contributions - but much as I enjoy public participation, I think I prefer to place more faith in Tribune or people like Broadcasting Data Services >
http://www.broadcastingdata.com/service/epg.html

Although I seem to recall that Sanderton recently commented on the absence of episode number info on Tribune - anybody care to give an idea of the size of the problem (a guess at % for example), if it is particular channels that are offenders etc

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cyril is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 08:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cyril Visit cyril's homepage! Find more posts by cyril Add cyril to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cyril

quote:
You're reading my mind Rob.

I'd remove hyphens,apostophes and other puctuation marks too.

A thesaurus would be a good idea as well as a common mis-spellings and Americanisms database.

teh = the
color=colour
politician= liar

etc...

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 10:35 PM
pgogborn

quote:
Originally posted by cyril
I'd remove hyphens,apostophes and other puctuation marks too.

Me also. But before I removed the punctuation, which includes the : colon symbol, I would strip out everything to the left of the :

Also, if looking at a specified time slot, which would not have to take account of things such as Halloween 1, Halloween 2 etc, I would strip out numerics.

I do not know about TCL, but some scripting languages allow you to do such a pattern substitution - strip out all non-alpha characters, convert all to lower case, in one or two lines.

After the pattern substitution on both the Tribune and DigiGuide title, then do the ==

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 11:19 PM
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

TCL allows regular expressions to be used for substitutions, so the software is there if I can figure it out!

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 11:40 PM
pgogborn

quote:
TCL allows regular expressions to be used for substitutions, so the software is there if I can figure it out!

If you think you have figured it out, give us a heads up in this thread - in the absence of a reply and if I have a spare moment I will have a look at the TCL documentation on the web to see if I can be of any help.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 11-11-2003 11:48 PM
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

It's not a problem doing it - I just wondered if there was some magical standard algorithm, since my programming education stopped in 1984 with a lecture on the bubble sort.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 11-12-2003 12:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

Regular expressions are normally used for searching and will just match a text string against a regular expression and say whether it matches or not.

To compare two strings, you would somehow have to convert one string into a regular expression that could then be used to match with the second string. There would have to be patterns that include wildcards in every position that could have missing text, and large iterations of text transposition tables. Unfortunately, as the string gets longer, the number of possible expressions will go up exponentially, and you would need a far more powerful processor to finish a match.

Allowing for misspellings, missing words, and word re-ordering, you really need to build up word tables and compare those. I've used more sophisticated versions of the method in this post above in high-volume commercial address deduplication and bibliographic matching systems. This method only allows for misspelling of words where consonants are doubled-up, but more sophisticated systems would use character-analysis of unmatched words, Soundex conversion, and thesaurus's of common misspellings and abbreviations.

To parse into words, uppercase the text and find consecutive groups of characters A-Z,0-9. One exception is that you should treat two words that are separated by just a hyphen as one word with the hypen removed. Another is to treat the ampersand character as the word 'AND'. All other characters can be ignored.

Ian.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 11-12-2003 01:28 AM
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Fortunately TCL regards all strings as lists of "words" which can be directly addressed so that functionality is built-in; all I need to do is use a regular expression substitution to remove all non a-z 0-9 characters, which is easy enough.

I think since both sources are commercially sourced data, that I can get away without worrying about misspellings - it's more where they have taken different approache to "normalising" some complex series names.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shanew is offline Old Post 11-12-2003 03:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shanew Visit shanew's homepage! Find more posts by shanew Add shanew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shanew

Hi,

I'm unsure to what you're doing the string comparison with - my only guess is that you're comparing the digiguide titile with every title in TiVo's database. If that's the case couldn't you firstly try to match any of the words in the title then do further test's with channels/dates/times/etc..

Something like (this is perl style but its very similar to tcl):

code:
LOOP: foreach $TiVoTitle (@TiVoDatabase) { #Set $TiVoTitle to lowercase #Filter out meaningless words: @meaningless = ("and", "the", .... ); foreach $word (@meaningless) { $TiVoTitle ~= s/$word//g; # replace that word with nothing. } foreach $word (@digiguidetitle) { # set $word to lowercase if( $TiVoTitle ~= /$word/ && # if word is contained in the tivo title $TiVoProgrammeChannel == $digiguideChannel && $TiVoProgrammeDate == $digiguideDate && $TiVoProgrammeStartTime == $digiguideStartTime ) { # Setup recording here... last LOOP; # to exit the loop } } } }

Hope this helps/makes sense!

Shane

EDIT: I did indent this code nicely but doesn't show up on the post
EDIT2: Thanks Ian (see next post) code looks better now

Last edited by shanew on 11-12-2003 at 05:21 PM

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged