TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Free trial sign up is confusing <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TVbug is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 06:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TVbug Find more posts by TVbug Add TVbug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TVbug

Free trial sign up is confusing

The offer appeared on TiVo Central today, so I jumped:

"Yes, Free Trial For Me!" <select> "Yes I'd Love A Free Trial" <select>
"Press SELECT to continue" <select> "Yes, Free Trial For Me!" <select>
"Yes I'd Love A Free Trial"... etc

No confirmation of my signup. Or maybe I didn't signup. Or...

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jbodden is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 01:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jbodden Find more posts by jbodden Add jbodden to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jbodden

just remember all the additional stuff has to go somewhere - like ON YOUR HARDDRIVE(S)
SO - if you want to stuff your drive with a download you likely will not know how to get rid of when you find that you just bought into a lowgrade version of things your computer already does for you - less the remote scheduling - you will take the bite on programming you will not have room for.
As far as i know at least.
remote scheduling should be included in the suscriber package anyhow. Skinflints.
My guess is that when you select yes free trial the tivo will spend a lot of time on the phone downloading all that extra code.
personally, looking at pics on tv compared to a monitor is like using coke bottles for eyeglass lenses.
Ditto a compariason mp3s' on my tv - my computer and surround sound system do a fantastic job.
Why ride a tricycle when I have a classy motorcycle?
Some of the effort in this scam could have been put into a better user interface on the tivo box itself, the program guide for instance.

There is no greater shock than to find that even with both law and facts in your favor, your constitutional rights are worthless because you can't get the courts or government to enforce them. Throughout history such actions by a State have been the cause of violence, not the cure.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wilfried is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 02:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wilfried Find more posts by wilfried Add wilfried to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wilfried

quote:
Originally posted by jbodden
just remember all the additional stuff has to go somewhere - like ON YOUR HARDDRIVE(S)

Nothing is downloaded. It's only "activated" when you signed up. It's all there inside v4.0, activated or not.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TVbug is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 08:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TVbug Find more posts by TVbug Add TVbug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TVbug

quote:
SO - blah, blah, blah

Uhm... well, I wasn't really asking for an opinion on the value of HMO but I hope it made you feel better to vent all of that!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
SO - if you want to stuff your drive with a download you likely will not know how to get rid of when you find that you just bought into a lowgrade version of things your computer already does for you - less the remote scheduling - you will take the bite on programming you will not have room for.
As far as i know at least.

All of the Home Media Option programming was downloaded as part of the 4.0 software release. It is stored in a "reserved" space on the hard drive and has no effect on the amount of programs that you can record.

quote:
personally, looking at pics on tv compared to a monitor is like using coke bottles for eyeglass lenses.

Have you tried it? All of my vacation photos look great on my television and it's very cool to finally be able to share then with friends without having to hover around a computer monitor.

quote:
Ditto a comparison mp3s' on my tv - my computer and surround sound system do a fantastic job.

Again, have you tried it? As I'm sure you can imagine, most of our customers don't have their computer connected to their stereo system. Home Media Option allows them to finally listen to all that music on their computers in the comfort of their living room through an easy to use interface.

It sounds like Home Media Option may not be for you, but that doesn't mean that many people don't find a lot of value in it.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TVbug is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 09:44 PM
TVbug

TiVoBill. can you comment on my original post? There is no confirmation of signup for HMO (that I can see...)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

swbail is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 11:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for swbail Find more posts by swbail Add swbail to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swbail

He's right. I did it twice because <Select> should have taken you to a confirmation screen or the main Tivo screen, but it looped you back to sign up page.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by TVbug
TiVoBill. can you comment on my original post? There is no confirmation of signup for HMO (that I can see...)

I spoke with the program manager for the showcase, and here is what is supposed to happen:

1. From the main showcase, choose "Yes, free trial for me." You should be taken to a screen that has the options "No, thank you." and "Yes, I'd love a FREE TRIAL."

2. Choose the "Yes, I'd love a FREE TRIAL" option. You should then see a "Have Fun!" confirmation screen with details about how you can start enjoying home media option once the trial starts.

Is that the experience that you had?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jkjared is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jkjared Find more posts by jkjared Add jkjared to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkjared

TiVoBill:

With the previous HMO offer, users were qualified (either by using broadband before 7/7 or having two TiVos) individually to receive the offer. Is there any specific qualification necessary for this new Free Trial? I ask because I have not received the offer, but am very interested in test driving HMO.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 12:06 AM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by jkjared
TiVoBill:

With the previous HMO offer, users were qualified (either by using broadband before 7/7 or having two TiVos) individually to receive the offer. Is there any specific qualification necessary for this new Free Trial? I ask because I have not received the offer, but am very interested in test driving HMO.

The only qualification for this one is that you have a Series2 DVR that doesn't have Home Media Option yet. Do you normally receive the other video Showcases on your DVR? If you do, you might just need to connect to the TiVo service to activate the Showcase. If you don't normally receive video Showcases (if you don't have Discovery channel or our broadcast in preempted for example), send me a PM with your contact info and TiVo service number and I will get you signed up for the trial.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

remichel is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for remichel Find more posts by remichel Add remichel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
remichel

HMO trial confirmation message

I didn't get the confirmation message "have fun". I received a continual loop

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 01:01 AM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Re: HMO trial confirmation message

quote:
Originally posted by remichel
I didn't get the confirmation message "have fun". I received a continual loop

On the screen that said "Press SELECT to continue" what was the title of the screen? Was there any other text on the screen?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

granoff is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for granoff Visit granoff's homepage! Find more posts by granoff Add granoff to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
granoff

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
Again, have you tried [MP3s via TiVo]? As I'm sure you can imagine, most of our customers don't have their computer connected to their stereo system. Home Media Option allows them to finally listen to all that music on their computers in the comfort of their living room through an easy to use interface.

I just feel compelled to comment on this particular statement.

First of all, the assumption that I watch TV in my living room is flawed. I do not. I watch TV in my family room, which is a different room entirely from my living room. In fact, its my family room where all the home theatre gear lives, along with TiVo. It is here that we watch TV and movies. We do NOT listen to music in this room. Ever.

In my living room, we have another modest stereo system, through which we do listen to music. TiVo and HMO don't help me here at all. What does help me here is an Audiotron, which connects to my LAN and this stereo and allows me to play my MP3s where I listen to music.

I'm not bashing HMO. In fact, I am eager to see HMO developed and improved. I signed up for the free trial. I am curious to see how it works; free is good. Viewing pictures might be nice, who knows. And there are other aspects of HMO that I might use or want to use someday (like remote scheduling, but not MRV since I have only one TiVo) and that I'd like to see added (like the ability to view video stored on my LAN through TiVo).

The point is that the assumption that a platform used primarily for watching TV programs is not necessarily ideal for every other "media" type (like music). Just because you can do it doesn't make it a good thing. And the further assumption that TiVo is the one and only "hub" for entertainment in someone's home (someone, btw, who is among a group of "well heeled, early adopter" types) is just misguided.

Sorry, but this sort of thing is a pet peeve of mine: Taking a perfectly good device that does a particular thing really well and adding unrelated functionality because you can but in not quite the best way usually ends up with a feature laden gadget that's too complicated to use.

-Mark

Hmm. Seems this turned into a rant. Sorry. Had to get it off my chset though.

100Mbit Wired Ethernet w/ Netgear USB 2.0 FA-120 Adapters
Waiting for PC-to-TiVo video capability and true web-based access...

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 02:00 AM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by granoff

The point is that the assumption that a platform used primarily for watching TV programs is not necessarily ideal for every other "media" type (like music). Just because you can do it doesn't make it a good thing. And the further assumption that TiVo is the one and only "hub" for entertainment in someone's home (someone, btw, who is among a group of "well heeled, early adopter" types) is just misguided.

-Mark

Mark,

I certainly never claimed that TiVo was the only company offering delivery of music and photos through a TV/Stereo System. My post had to do with a poster claiming that Home Media Option had no value -- and I was pointing out that a lot of people want to have access to their digital media through their existing home entertainment system (in whatever room that might be in). The fact that there is so much competition only proves that it is a valuable service. It's the Home Media Option. We hope that you will try it and find out that it can change the way that you interface with your digital media the way that we changed the way that people interface with their television programming.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

granoff is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for granoff Visit granoff's homepage! Find more posts by granoff Add granoff to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
granoff

Bill,

Right you are. I didn't intend to come on so strong. Although, I think my pet peeve (generally) is valid; I've seen it too often.

Generally, I think HMO is a great option (as you put it). I am eager to try it for free. But I am not likely to buy it (in its current form) because I won't use 50% (or more) of the features and cannot justify the expense. Further, I am hoping that the features improve (as I've selfishly described above and elsewhere ) and that the pricing model for individual pieces of HMO changes in the future.

To be clear, I am extremely PRO TiVo -- I love it! Keep it up. It was just an uncontrollable urge to voice my opinion before....

-Mark

100Mbit Wired Ethernet w/ Netgear USB 2.0 FA-120 Adapters
Waiting for PC-to-TiVo video capability and true web-based access...

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

I have my best speakers hooked up to my TV (surround sound too), so HMO is cool. The only problem is that my speakers are so good, I can really hear the limitations of MP3. But hopefully in the future, Tivo will support other sound file types!

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AlaninAZ is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 06:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AlaninAZ Find more posts by AlaninAZ Add AlaninAZ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlaninAZ

I agree with TurtleBoy...

My TV is much bigger than my monitor and has a comfy couch in front of it - so for sharing photo's with others (even in my family) its the best - even if the monitor has a sharper & better color balanced picture...

Similarly I have my best audio system (home theater surround) connected to my TV, CD, DVD (and yes TIVO) players NOT to my PC. I realize not everyone has this set-up but I'm sure I'm not alone either. Its nice to play my audio collection on my PC but when I am entertaining I need music in the family room not in my office, and I'd prefer to control it from there too.

Alan

Oh and BTW - I also was confused by the lack of a confirmation screen for the sign up and went around that loop 2 times.... Something was not done quite right...

I think I'm signed up

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jg867 is offline Old Post 08-02-2003 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jg867 Find more posts by jg867 Add jg867 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jg867

A couple things:

1) Turtleboy - mp3 sound fantastic if ripped at good rates? Have you tried 160k or even 192k?

2) TiVoBill - when will I get the HMO offer on my TiVo? I'm a new subscriber (have had TiVo for only a few weeks)... I've been eagerly waiting for the offer.

Thanks,

-jg

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Turtleboy is offline Old Post 08-02-2003 02:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Turtleboy Find more posts by Turtleboy Add Turtleboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Turtleboy

quote:
Originally posted by jg867
A couple things:

1) Turtleboy - mp3 sound fantastic if ripped at good rates? Have you tried 160k or even 192k?

-jg

True, but most of my mp3s weren't ripped by me, if you know what I mean.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

monkeyinacan is offline Old Post 08-02-2003 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for monkeyinacan Find more posts by monkeyinacan Add monkeyinacan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
monkeyinacan

TiVoBill -

I've been getting the same circular menu-ing that remichael mentions. I'mnot at home right now, or I'd give you a complete description, but I'm concerned that I may not be signed up for the offer. How can I confirm this???

TIA

Joe Abreu

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged