TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> JavaHMO 1.1 released <<<

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
javahmo is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 01:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO 1.1 released

This is the first public release of the JavaHMO 1.1, the Java version of the media server for the TiVo Home Media Option.

Version 1.1 includes significant performance improvements and a long list of bug fixes and new features:
1. m3u files now support relative paths,
2. Fixed bug that caused non-jpg files to be thumbnailed incorrectly,
3. Removed X11 requirement for Unix distributions,
4. Moved cache location on Unix distributions,
5. Fixed bug that sometimes caused broken images during slideshows,
6. Auto scan for available port,
7. Names of folders can now start with the same characters,
8. Cinema listings now show all theatres,
9. Support for manual connections from TiVo,
10. Reduce reload requests from TiVo,
11. Shortcuts on Windows platforms are now supported,
12. Modules can now be disabled in the configuraton GUI,
13. New installation wizard to fix various installation issues,
14. Better validation in configuration GUI,
15. Fixed bug that sometimes caused Explorer to crash in the GUI,
16. Fixed several bugs which sometimes caused TiVo to reboot,
17. Fixed a weather state mapping in GUI,
18. Support rotating images,
19. Support random/shuffle play (excluding playlists),
20. Support various sorting types,
21. Added support for playing nested folders,
22. Handle special characters in titles,
23. Media port now configurable,
24. Movie listings now use city, state and zip to find matching theatres,
25. Text distortion fixed,
26. Support TV aspect ratio,
27. Use thumbnails in digital camera images,
28. Show dates pictures were taken,
29. GUI support more browsers,
30. Finish shuffle containers implementation.

The online documentation includes several screenshots of JavaHMO in action:
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

The Windows version now includes an improved installation wizard that includes all of the components required for JavaHMO to run.

This is an open source project hosted on Sourceforge.net:
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net

Thanks to the expanded development team who made this release possible.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jakelambert is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 03:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jakelambert Find more posts by jakelambert Add jakelambert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jakelambert

THIS ROCKS!!!

I just downloaded JavaHMO 1.1. Less than 10 minutes later, it's up and running like a champ. This is what HMO should have been all along. I hope the folks at TiVo are paying attention.

That said, I have one minor issue. I live in Chicago, and depending on the mood, I will either go downtown or the nearest N. suburb to the movies. I live between the two. I've tried a couple of different ZIP codes, and I either seem to get downtown theaters or suburban theaters. Is there a way to expand this area?

Otherwise, this is really fantastic. I've had trouble with the TiVo Desktop crashing my computer since day one, and no one has been able to tell me why (including the folks at TiVo). I'll be watching over the next few days to see if this fixes the problem.

Thanks for all your hard work getting this product together. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say how much all the hardcore TiVo fans appreciate people like you making the experience even better.

Jake

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jakelambert is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 03:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jakelambert Find more posts by jakelambert Add jakelambert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jakelambert

Addendum

OK, a short addendum to my previous post. I went to movies.com, which is where I think the Cinema data comes from. I put in my ZIP (60660) and 34 theaters come up. When I put the same ZIP in JavaHMO, I get 5. Any idea why?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

faspina is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for faspina Find more posts by faspina Add faspina to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
faspina

Works great

Installed it in about 10 minutes as well, the only problem I see is that some of the mp3 don't show the correct time, could be a mp3 problem i don't know. I have not checked to see if the shuffle works though.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 05:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

Looks like movies.com has just made a change to their pages which is making the JavaHMO code only show the first 5 cinemas. Should be fixed in the next release.

Last edited by javahmo on 12-08-2003 at 05:17 AM

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IanFrost is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 05:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for IanFrost Find more posts by IanFrost Add IanFrost to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IanFrost

Thanks again for this version. Up and running very quickly. Takes longer to download than set up!

Excellent

Thanks

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

danshap75 is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 09:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for danshap75 Find more posts by danshap75 Add danshap75 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danshap75

Lightbulb

I must admit ... I d/led 1.0 yesterday .. had it up and running in no time. Had some issues this morning .. so I checked the board, and 1.1 is released. Download that ... all is great. Just a couple things ...

1. Not much that can be done about this ... being a java app, it takes a ton of memory to run. (Right now, over 58MB!). Having it run on my main (XP) machine, I think I need to get this on a server that I'm not playing games and doing other work on. Any one have comments on the linux version? Is it as stable and feature-rich as the Windown version?

2. Probably more of a feature request, but also a curiosity. The "PlayList" configure screen provides a "Browse" button to navigate to the location on the machine where the playlists are found. Is there a reason the Audio and Images screens don't provide the same "Browse" button? Am I missing something?

All in all, I'm very happy. I think when I installed 1.0, then installed the Tivo Desktop software, something got stupid. I have since removed the Tivo stuff ... installed 1.1, and I'm very happy.

Thanks!!!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jakelambert is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 10:06 AM
jakelambert

Bug Report

After playing with JavaHMO for a little while, I think I have a couple more bugs. Let me know if you would prefer to receive them somewhere other than here.

1. Songs within a playlist won't "shuffle". You can turn it on, but they still play in a linear sequence.

2. When playing songs both normally and within a playlist, with or without shuffle mode, there are issues moving to the previous or next song. Sometimes it works (slowly), sometimes it acts as though it hasn't received a command at all, and other times it gives a server error. I haven't been able to figure out a method to the madness yet.

That's all I've found so far. I STILL like this so much more that the TiVo desktop.

Last edited by jakelambert on 12-08-2003 at 10:31 AM

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 10:07 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

The Linux version has exactly the same functionality as the Windows version; thats one of the benefits of Java.

The GUI is implemented in HTML and there is a limitation that you can only browse for files not directories. There is an open bug on this issue.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 10:19 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

jakelambert:
1. All of the playlists are grouped together under one menu item on the Main TiVo menu. Each playlist has its own name which you can configure using the configuration GUI. Playlists that are in folders with MP3 files are displayed with their filenames.
2. Shuffling not supported yet for playlists. Shuffling does work for folders of MP3 files.
3. Could you enable debugging (http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/documentation.html#logs) and send me your logs files to find out what is going on with the shuffling behaviour you are seeing.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

danshap75 is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 10:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for danshap75 Find more posts by danshap75 Add danshap75 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danshap75

Good info. Just one other question / request ...

Instead of leaving the different image folders and audio folders on the top level menu (in tivo), could they be grouped into a menu item, with a submenu of the different folders? Not knowing whether this is a livo limitation or not, this may be a no-brainer question ... but I might as well ask.

Thanks again for a great program.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

icatar is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 11:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for icatar Visit icatar's homepage! Find more posts by icatar Add icatar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icatar

Unhappy First casualty!

Running on XP Pro. First install of 1.1 (never installed 1.0). The Javahmo service will not start. When I try to manually start, I get the error below.

I rebooted my PC and then got the second error below (see next message). Help!

Attachment: javahmo1.jpg
This has been downloaded 447 time(s).

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

icatar is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 11:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for icatar Visit icatar's homepage! Find more posts by icatar Add icatar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icatar

Here's the other error I got:

I will try reinstalling to see if it helps.

Attachment: javahmo2.jpg
This has been downloaded 245 time(s).

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jakelambert is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 11:49 AM
jakelambert

quote:
Originally posted by javahmo
3. Could you enable debugging (http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/documentation.html#logs) and send me your logs files to find out what is going on with the shuffling behaviour you are seeing.

I figured the first one out. It was just me not paying attention. Still stuck on #3, so the logs are on their way. Thanks for the help!

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

icatar is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 11:55 AM
icatar

Thumbs up

You can disregard my issues! I had an older version of Java installed. After I installed the latest version, all was well.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

musicforme is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for musicforme Visit musicforme's homepage! Find more posts by musicforme Add musicforme to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
musicforme

I installed 1.0 on Saturday, and saw 1.1 released yesterday. I installed both w/o any problems.

Great application. Thanks for taking the time to code this puppy. My wife really likes the weather and movie listings. I'm looking forward to playing mp3s on the home stereo while she's not home.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 12-08-2003 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by danshap75
Good info. Just one other question / request ...

Instead of leaving the different image folders and audio folders on the top level menu (in tivo), could they be grouped into a menu item, with a submenu of the different folders? Not knowing whether this is a livo limitation or not, this may be a no-brainer question ... but I might as well ask.

I was actually wondering if this could be done with JavaHMO as well. I know its not a limitation of TiVo since their software does this.

Basically you'd need at least two containers. One that holds all the images containers and one that holds all the music containers. The other stuff (games, webcam, PC desktop, movies, weather) could go in their own folder or the images folder.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dfinlay587 is offline Old Post 12-09-2003 12:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dfinlay587 Find more posts by dfinlay587 Add dfinlay587 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dfinlay587

Unhappy Windows XP Implementation

One of the features of TiVo HMO is that is runs on XP under each users acocunt. While this is OK, you have to be logged in for it to work (i.e. not just startup the machine).

Is there a way in JavaHMO to install to the 'System' acocunt where it is always running when the machine is turned on? Or is this a "Windows Security (oxymoron)" violation?

I have 5 users on each machine and have to set TiVo HMO in each account all pointing to the same shared folders. Then they all display if the users are signed on. Would prefer only one.

JVC TV

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-09-2003 12:32 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO runs as a service even if nobody is logged in. JavaHMO is shared by all users on that machine.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-09-2003 12:36 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

morac: You are right, TiVo does not limit you to putting all of the folders on the top level. You can create a hierarchy of menu items. Unfortunately, you cannot mix the kinds of content within each menu item; audio folders can only contain audio and image folders can only contain images. So, yes, you will always need at least two menu items on the main menu.

We will probably add a mechanism to allow users to organize and group the folders. We are currently working on a plugin architecture for a future version to allow users to pick additional content from the projects todo list . Then it would become important to organize the content better.

Last edited by javahmo on 12-09-2003 at 12:43 AM

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged