TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> CacheCARD - Losing live tv sound <<<

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jafa is offline Old Post 12-30-2003 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jafa Visit jafa's homepage! Find more posts by jafa Add jafa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jafa
TiVo Forum Special Member

CacheCARD - Losing live tv sound

Hi all,

If you have been experencing problems with losing sound or video... I am running some tests now.

In the mean time you can avoid the problem by removing the DIMM, or if you have a smaller DIMM then try installing it.

Question - If you have this problem do you have a DTiVo or SA?

Nick

PS - If anyone has this problem and is in the Bay Area (Silicon Valley) CA then please PM me.

Last edited by jafa on 01-19-2004 at 09:10 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LJ is offline Old Post 12-30-2003 11:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LJ Visit LJ's homepage! Find more posts by LJ Add LJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LJ
Advanced Member

'ello, I've got a UK Series 1 SA.

(Kitschcamp does too, unless he's moved to the States on the quiet )

Last edited by LJ on 12-30-2003 at 11:08 PM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 12-30-2003 11:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Yup, I've got a UK Series 1 SA Tivo.

With the 512MB module I lose sound and RF pictures, with an old 128MB module sound I get both sound and RF pictures returning.

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Spin is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Find more posts by Spin Add Spin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spin

I have a phillips HDR112 SA Tivo, I am using a Crucial 512MB PC133 DIMM.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gardavis is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 12:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gardavis Visit gardavis's homepage! Find more posts by gardavis Add gardavis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gardavis

I have the problem on a Sony SVR 2000. Commenting out the cachectl line prevents the error and I don't have to pop the memory out.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jim Sanchez is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Sanchez Find more posts by Jim Sanchez Add Jim Sanchez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Sanchez

I have a series 1 SA and am having the problem. I'm also observing that the channels that are from the RF input versus the SVHS input typically have a "blue screen" indicating that there is no signal. However, occasionally they do work for a few seconds and then go away.

Jim

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jim Sanchez is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 02:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Sanchez Find more posts by Jim Sanchez Add Jim Sanchez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Sanchez

Is there any way to disable the cache AND keep the networking? I need to do this ASAP until there is a fix for this problem. I can telnet to the box and edit a file but I need to know EXACTLY which file (location too) and what line to comment out or change. I am pretty linix/unix fluent but don't know the TiVo file structure.

thanks
Jim

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaedalusMC is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 03:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaedalusMC Visit DaedalusMC's homepage! Find more posts by DaedalusMC Add DaedalusMC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaedalusMC
The PimpMonkey

HDR212 - SA: 2x120GB WesternDigital x 2

Two identical units:
one works the other doesn't

I dunno - The one that doesn't work has a blown modem however, this is the only difference. Wierd

--Mike

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Spin is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 04:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Find more posts by Spin Add Spin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spin

jim,

to disable the cache and keep the network edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and comment out the cachectl line

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 04:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

quote:
Originally posted by kitschcamp
Yup, I've got a UK Series 1 SA Tivo.

With the 512MB module I lose sound and RF pictures, with an old 128MB module sound I get both sound and RF pictures returning.

On the plus side, even with just a 128MB module in, the performance increase has been more and more noticeable as the evening goes on.

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jafa is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jafa Visit jafa's homepage! Find more posts by jafa Add jafa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jafa

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Sanchez
Is there any way to disable the cache AND keep the networking?

Hi Jim,

Sure - simply eject the DIMM from the cache card.

You will get a Cache error at startup - just ignore it.

The network interface will continue to work.

Nick

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jim Sanchez is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 06:01 AM
Jim Sanchez

Actually, I found a 128MB stick in my pile of junk and put it in. Everything works just fine - sound, RF stations all OK. So ball is back in your court.
Thanks
Jim

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lrowland is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 12:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lrowland Find more posts by lrowland Add lrowland to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lrowland

I have a SA Phillips Series 1. I get no sound with 512MB 64x64 Micron PC133 DIMM or with a 256MB DIMM (unknown brand). But then with a 64MB DIMM PC100 it all works well. Let me know if you want to see the Kernel log that shows all three DIMMS - I saved it.

Thanks,
Larry

PS - The network connections worked in all cases including the dial out over network function.

Last edited by lrowland on 12-31-2003 at 02:38 PM

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raymond Day is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 07:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raymond Day Find more posts by Raymond Day Add Raymond Day to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raymond Day

Looks like I found the problum :)

I have 2 other TiVo power supply's I got about 2 month ago at: New TiVo power Supply $4.50 for a backup because of the good price. It was good because I temporally put it in my TiVo. The CacheCARD worked good then! I played live video for about 20 minutes. No video or sound problems! I tested the voltages here is what I got:

3.340 Brown wire.
4.97 Red wire.
11.92 Yellow wire.

I then connected my power supply that came with my TiVo back on it. I went to live TV and sure enough no sound. Did channel up and down got sound. In about a minute no sound again. Could not get sound back. I tested the voltages here is what I got:

3.340 Brown wire.
5.05 Red wire.
12.07 Yellow wire.

Compared there were higher then the one that worked. There is a ajusment on the power supply It looks like a blue block with a wight adjustment on it and some blue glue over it. I scraped off the blue glue and as I was looking at the 5 volts did it down to 4.97 by terning it left. I rebooted my TiVo and it's been doing live TV now for all most a hour. No problems at all

The adjustment was pointing about strait up and down. I just turn it a little to the left so it looks like it is pointing to the middle of the 12V / 5V plug for the hard drives on the power supply.

I hope this helps others. Post here if you do this and it works for you. It would be good if you had a voltage tester. I just put mine in the plug that plugs in the board of TiVo.

Wow I was guessing the power would be to little. But it was to much power.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jafa is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 09:54 PM
jafa

Interesting!

As the power supply gets older it becomes more noisy (actually less able to filter against the noise from the tivo). I have seen several reports of TiVos having these symptoms even without modification.

The rail that matters is the 3.3V rail but I think it is regulated from the 5V rail. Lowering the 5V rail a little will make the job of the 3.3V regulator easier which could be why you are seeing lowering the voltage fixing the problem.

I ran a whole series of tests yesterday with my super-Tivo (it has an ATX power supply) and the noise added by the cachecard is identifiable by the frequency but did not increase the total p-p noise on the rails (measured on the cachecard close to the memory where is should be worst).

I suspect that the stock TiVo power supply (espically as it gets older) will not perform as well as my ATX power supply - I will locate one and run my same measurements tonight.

I have two ideas of how to fix the problem.

Nick

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LJ is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LJ Visit LJ's homepage! Find more posts by LJ Add LJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LJ
Advanced Member

I put on my rubber shoes and tried the same. No success unfortunately.

The voltages get higher the more RAM is in the slot. They seem to be highest when the cache is going through the writing/verifying/caching stages of boot up and then settle down once that's complete.

I measured these voltages without changing the position of the pot on the PSU:

code:
RAM Red Yellow Brown none 4.96 11.82 3.35 64M 5.00 11.95 3.35

It didn't make any difference adjusting the voltages to stay below; stay above or average at those levels once the 512M module was in.

The other thing I noticed is that live tv takes several seconds to appear with the 512 module in, but is almost instant with any other combination.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 10:24 PM
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

quote:
Originally posted by LJ

The other thing I noticed is that live tv takes several seconds to appear with the 512 module in, but is almost instant with any other combination.

RF feeds are the really interesting ones. With the 512MB stick it never tunes in, with my 128MB it takes about 3 seconds (via a "no signal" screen) and with no memory it's instant.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

My LiveTV has taken as long as a minute to appear with only TurboNets installed. Sometimes I have to jigger around with the Fwd, Back, Pause, and Play to get it to come up. S-Video input. (A LiveTV that doesn't respond looks exactly like a cable box that got turned off, the latter of which happened again yesterday to my non-HD cable box.)

My card is still on its way, now in Omaha. Hopefully a solution to tighten down the Live TV sound will be ready when it arrives.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jim Sanchez is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 10:31 PM
Jim Sanchez

Well I'm going to test the power supply hypothesis. I ordered two of the replacement power supplies today and will try them when they get in. If power is the problem then certainly ONE of the two I ordered will correct the problem. I hope that a software fix comes along first though.
Jim

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raymond Day is offline Old Post 01-01-2004 11:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raymond Day Find more posts by Raymond Day Add Raymond Day to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raymond Day

I used the new power supply

After I put my TiVo back together and after I got back from work. It had no sound and the ding and any TiVo type sound was high pitched.

I just put in my new power supply. My TiVo has been working good. One time on Live TV I had 30 minutes bufferd. I went to the end, live at that time and no sound and the video was messing up a little. I just pressed the TiVo button and back to Live TV. I have not seen any problumes from then on yet.

If this fix it then I am sure with time it will get no sound/video again as the power supply gets old.

It was hard getting the power supply out. Looks like they bend the tabs 3/4's way that hold it in. Not just a 1/4 turn.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged