TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> How do I make TiVo record from line-in? <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 08-20-2001 06:56 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeB7

Talking How do I make TiVo record from line-in?

My tivo is set up to use RF input with no cable box. I'd like to be able to have it record from the composite video input now and then, but the only way I know to do this is to switch to cable box control and then I lose the "channels I watch" list when I switch back to normal. Is there some way I can add a channel that uses the composite input? You know -- like on a vcr where you can select line-in as the source. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-20-2001 07:49 AM
rtlrscott

Try telling it you have Dss instead of the cable box. then pick any Dss channel, 202 for example will default to the line input but should not eliminate your other channels because it is designed to use cable/ant with Dss.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-20-2001 08:23 AM
MikeB7

Question

It looks like I have to go through guided setup any time i want to switch between RF and video input! Say it isn't so!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-20-2001 08:36 AM
rtlrscott

It Isn't so. Once you set it up for Dss just put in a three digit channel. I suggested 202 earlier because it comes with every Direct tv package there is. I might of left one thing out, when you do the setup make sure to have the Tivo control the nonexistant Dss using the IR blaster. That method presumes that a Dss receiver is there. Any recordings you wish to create will have to be manual timer recordings so show start and end times do not effect the desired outcome.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-20-2001 09:00 AM
MikeB7

Question

Ok, now I see what you mean... Am I going to lose season passes or wishlists or to-do list or anything else by going thru guided setup to switch over to DSS? Thanks for your help!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-20-2001 09:14 AM
rtlrscott

I don't remember losing those but I reran the guided setup a couple of months ago so I am fuzzy on this. GOOD LUCK!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DBCooper is offline Old Post 08-20-2001 09:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DBCooper Find more posts by DBCooper Add DBCooper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBCooper
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by MikeB7:
Ok, now I see what you mean... Am I going to lose season passes or wishlists or to-do list or anything else by going thru guided setup to switch over to DSS? Thanks for your help!

You are not "switching over to DSS." You are ADDING DSS. That way you lose nothing.

However, it will be slower to respond to the remote.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Worf is offline Old Post 08-20-2001 10:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Worf Visit Worf's homepage! Find more posts by Worf Add Worf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Worf

I don't know, but would using the comp-in.tcl script that was on sonnik's site work?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

c3 is offline Old Post 08-20-2001 01:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for c3 Find more posts by c3 Add c3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c3
TiVoholic

quote:
Originally posted by DBCooper:
However, it will be slower to respond to the remote.

Are you saying all remote functions will be slower after DSS is added? Why?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-21-2001 04:26 AM
MikeB7

Smile

Ok I got a little confused. How do I *add* DSS? Do I run guided setup again? Thanks again for all the help.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hinsdale is offline Old Post 08-21-2001 04:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hinsdale Visit hinsdale's homepage! Find more posts by hinsdale Add hinsdale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hinsdale
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by MikeB7:
Ok I got a little confused. How do I *add* DSS? Do I run guided setup again? Thanks again for all the help.

Change your lineup to Cable + Satellite.. then uncheck all the channels listed as provided by your ficticious satellite service except one (202 if desired). Then finish your guided setup. This will take awhile and will also mean that your daily downloads/indexing will take much longer too (that doesnt necessarily effect you depending upon the time of the calls , but uses up your phone line longer, and much longer indexing - stopples have been shown to occur during indexing as explained by tivolutionary ) and generally applies a larger memory load to the tivo which may slow things - remote, menus, etc. as compared to just a cable lineup.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-21-2001 10:46 AM
rtlrscott

Mike I have two Tivo's running with Dss and have never encountered them making calls, nor have they interfered with the three other people who live here, so I do not think the phone thing will bother you. If you do this and notice it slows your units previously mentioned functions down please let us know.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-21-2001 11:49 PM
smartin

Angry

Why can't Tivo just add this functionality. Let the thing control an external box connected to one of the line-in options and the IR blaster. Make it so that you can just do manual recording by channel and time. I really doubt that this will take away any subscriptions, and it would make the machine much more usable.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-22-2001 01:23 AM
teksavy

I have a satellite Dish with most of the channels and I also have cable TV. I also want to setup the RF In but I am already using it for cable. Once in awhile can I disconnect cable and hookup lets say my VCR/Video camera to record to tivo.

Is this feasible without making frequent changes to the setup guide? What exactly is the easiest method with my settings?

Here are my current settings:

Program Source 1: Satellite box with serial cable
Source Input 1: Svideo, L/R Audio
Program Source 2: Cable without converter box
Source Input 2: Coax RF In

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DBCooper is offline Old Post 08-22-2001 04:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DBCooper Find more posts by DBCooper Add DBCooper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBCooper
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by c3:
Are you saying all remote functions will be slower after DSS is added? Why?

You are adding about 500 channels to a system that may have had 100 on cable. So any function that is dependent on the number of channels will be slower. That includes schedule downloads and mapping as well as certain activities with the remote. Unfortunately, selecting (on TiVo) only one "Channels I watch" on the DSS does not change much.

I found it so frustrating that I removed the fake DSS port, so I can't make any tests to tell you which remote functions were slower.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-22-2001 05:04 AM
rtlrscott

Lightbulb

Teksavy You are already there no need to mess with setup, simply pull dss cables out replace with cables from vcr/camcorder output. Put system on any dss channel you receive and do manual record. If your CC and VCR are not Svideo units that may complicate matters.

This slowdown I keep hearing about confuses me. Are we talking about milliseconds, 1 or 2 seconds.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-23-2001 09:22 AM
scooterdoggie

I agree with rtlrscott above - no need to make things more complicated than need be, just switch the inputs on the TiVo to your VCR out, and set the manual recording for as long as you want. Did it for the first time last week, worked great. I don't plan to do this very often, it wasn't hard to switch at all without concern about setting up a ghost service with only one channel.
Scooterdoggie

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-24-2001 08:37 AM
kman007

So if I set up this "fake" satellite service in order to be able to record off the RCA plugs, just how much of a slow down are we talking about? Will it be unbearable? Also, once I have added DSS to my setup, is it a simple matter to delete it from my setup as well? If I try it and find the machine to be excruciatingly slow, would it be difficult to undo what I had just done?
Thanks

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jim West is offline Old Post 08-24-2001 08:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jim West Find more posts by Jim West Add Jim West to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim West
Advanced Member

If anyone is willing to use regular cable to transfer from VCR to TiVo, they might check my post in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum1/HTML/008333.html

The quality might not be quite as good, but it is much easier to do it this way without having to reset anything. I suggest trying it first with a short recording to see if it is working O.K.

Jim West

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanT is offline Old Post 08-24-2001 11:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanT Find more posts by DanT Add DanT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanT
In Absentia

quote:
Originally posted by Jim West:
If anyone is willing to use regular cable to transfer from VCR to TiVo, they might check my post in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum1/HTML/008333.html

The quality might not be quite as good, but it is much easier to do it this way without having to reset anything. I suggest trying it first with a short recording to see if it is working O.K.

Jim West

Also keep in mind that the audio won't be stereo anymore. Most people don't realize it, but the RF outputs on VCRs DO NOT output a stereo signal.

------------------
Dan T.
RKBA!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged