TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Sonic Blue's Patent on DVR <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 12-04-2001 09:28 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
0v1t

Post Sonic Blue's Patent on DVR

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/23179.html

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tiger is offline Old Post 12-05-2001 03:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tiger Find more posts by Tiger Add Tiger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tiger
TMNBT Special Forces

... Doesn't the DishPlayer kind of predate anything ReplayTV *OR* TiVo have done? It seems to me that would be something like prior art...

------------------
TMNBT Special Forces
Are we not men? We are TiVo!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

geekboy is offline Old Post 12-06-2001 07:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for geekboy Find more posts by geekboy Add geekboy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
geekboy

Both Replay and TiVo have patents on what I would call key DVR technologies.

Both are from applications filed sometime in 1998, which means prior art must be from mid-1997 or earlier (absent some good arguments why the applications dates do not represent the date of constructive reduction to practice).

So if the Dish player is newer than that, it probably doesn't qualify as prior art.

Moreover, the Replay patent is generally directed at the idea of a method for recording video programs based on (a) user selected criteria, and (b) a processor that uses those criteria to select and record programs using a database of program info. Oh, and it also appears to require that the processor cause lower priority recordings to be deleted, if necessary, to record new stuff. So unless the Dish player included something like Season Passes or Wish Lists, it probably isn't (by itself, anyway) enough to knock out the Replay patent.

The TiVo patent, meanwhile, is generally directed at the idea of live recording/playback of a video stream recorded in compressed format on a hard drive. I don't remember the exact details as well as I remember the details of the Replay patent (I just reviewed the Replay patent yesterday and today, but reviewed the TiVo patent some time ago, when it was granted). But it does strike me that the Dish player, if old enough, is more likely to be a problem for the TiVo patent than for the Replay patent.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged