TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> two tuner <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jamesbobo is offline Old Post 07-05-2000 05:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jamesbobo Visit jamesbobo's homepage! Find more posts by jamesbobo Add jamesbobo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Talking two tuner

The best way to improve TiVo would be to allow you to watch a live show and record another live show at the same time, just as a vcr does. I think this is one of TiVo's greatest weaknesses.
Another improvement would be to have additional S-VHS imputs, so you can connect a DVD player to TiVo, than TiVo to the TV. Many TV's only have one S-VHS input. I know you can purchase a device to lets you plug two or more S-VHS devices into one, but it would be a lot easier to pass it through the TiVo.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Samsara is offline Old Post 07-05-2000 05:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Samsara Find more posts by Samsara Add Samsara to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Samsara
Coin-Operated Boy

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by jamesbobo:
The best way to improve TiVo would be to allow you to watch a live show and record another live show at the same time, just as a vcr does. I think this is one of TiVo's greatest weaknesses.

This wouldn't require two tuners, unless you wanted the live show you were watching to have all of TiVo's trick play functions. The VCR-like bypass would still require new hardware, though. DirecTiVo will have two tuners, but the second one won't be enabled when it ships.

Samsara

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeCG is offline Old Post 07-05-2000 06:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeCG Find more posts by MikeCG Add MikeCG to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeCG
TiVo Forum Special Member

Unhappy

Don't know if this is exactly what you had in mind, but I split my cable input, one into the cable box/TiVo and one directly into my TV. I can watch all except scrambled channels while TiVo is recording. In fact, I have written out instructions, step by step, for my wife to take when she sees TiVo is recording, so she doesn't screw it up by changing cable/TiVo channels. Has been working great, primarily because she seldom watches HBO and other "premier" channels. Before that, she was getting frustrated because she had to go to another TV if TiVo was recording, which, naturally, is constantly! BTW, the splitter I have been using has its own amplifier and I can't detect any loss of picture quality. There is probably a measurable loss, but I can't see it.

quote:
Another improvement would be to have additional S-VHS imputs, so you can connect a DVD player to TiVo, than TiVo to the TV. Many TV's only have one S-VHS input. I know you can purchase a device to lets you plug two or more S-VHS devices into one, but it would be a lot easier to pass it through the TiVo.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BLeonard is offline Old Post 07-05-2000 06:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BLeonard Find more posts by BLeonard Add BLeonard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLeonard

Talking

Where do you get a splitter with it's own amplifier? I've already got my cable split so many ways and want to add even another Tivo to my system but am afraid of signal loss. Have you got a source/price? Are you happy with your splitter?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 07-05-2000 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

Talking

quote:

I hate to say it, but... Stop watching live TV.

I mean, what's the point? You have to sit through annoying commercials, you have to be there when it's on, etc, etc..

Seriously. Use that Tivo! Record everything you have even a vague interest in. Then use that "Now Showing" list. Hey, that's what's on _right now_, isn't it? So you see the show a bit later. Stop looking at the TV Guide so much and you'll never notice.

------------------
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota manax materiam possit materiari?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spud is offline Old Post 07-06-2000 05:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spud Find more posts by spud Add spud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spud
I don't know

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
I hate to say it, but... Stop watching live TV.

I mean, what's the point?

The point is simple: If you want to see two shows which are broadcast at the same time you'd record one, and watch the other live.

I'd be happy if TiVo could use the one tuner it has in addition to an external cable box tuner. This way, I'd be able to use the online program guide to surf live TV, while TiVo is recording a different channel.

[This message has been edited by spud (edited July 06, 2000).]

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-06-2000 05:45 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dr. Zed

Cool

Well, if there is a cable box involved, TiVo just might need it to tune in what it's recording.

Since you can split the signal, then you could watch live TV while TiVo records. However, I agree that live TV is pointless.

If you need the cable box to watch live TV, then TiVo needs it to record. The only real solution would be two cable boxes, or settle for only being able to watch things that don't need a box when TiVo is recording something.

Mind you, I'm totally in support of a multiple-tuner TiVo so that two things could be recorded at the same time. For now, the only option is to split the signal or to get a second TiVo.

------------------
From the mind of
Dr. Zed

"It's like living in the future."

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-06-2000 06:44 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msung

Talking

Even for current existing 1 tuner Tivo, if the software can accept 2 seperate channel line ups on antenna input and line-in input will help a lot on solving recording conflict and watch/record different channel.

For example I can split the signal, one feed Tivo's tuner directly and one feed cable box which connect to Tivo's line in. Customize channel line-up for both input (take out premium channel from tuner), then it can record 2 channels in same time.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged