TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> <sigh!> Can't get ethernet to work <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RepairDad is offline Old Post 07-03-2003 11:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RepairDad Find more posts by RepairDad Add RepairDad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RepairDad

Angry <sigh!> Can't get ethernet to work

I have 2 Tivo series 2 units and cannot get ethernet working on either one.
I have a home network of about 9 systems and know networking rather well, but not being able to "see" what is happening on my TiVo is rather frustrating.

First, I tried a Linksys USB10T I purchased long ago -- no dice. Okay, so it isn't on the list, try again.

Next, I purchased a Linksys USB200M. Yes, this isn't on the list, either, but the USB100M *is* on the list but I can't seem to locate one. I figured this was upward compatible. NOT! ??

Okay, I'll play the game using the rules. Next I bought a Netgear FA101. This one *is* on the list! I plug it in -- and it works!
Getting cocky, I unplugged it and re-plugged the Linksys USB200M hoping it would work. No cigar!

Back to the Netgear FA101. WHAT!? Now it does *not* work. I've unplugged it, unplugged TiVo, replugged it, replugged TiVo -- no go!
I unplugged everything, plugged in the USB FA101, plugged in TiVo, nothing.
Well, I should probably clarify "nothing". TiVo recognizes the USB adapter, but can't see the DHCP server so never gets an IP address assigned.
All my other systems see the server just fine.

Next on the list -- I get a Linksys WUSB11 version 2.6. This adapter seems to be the highest recommended by Tivo. I plug it in, Tivo recognizes it, and I'm starting to get happy.
I maneuver over to the "configure/wireless" screen. A few seconds later, "linksys" shows up as the third choice and I select it.
My signal is 100%, my quality "excellent". I select the default "linksys" for the system name and leave the WEP settings blank. I do not have WEP set at the router. TiVo says it can't find the network.
Next, I move the WUSB11 (version 2.6) unit to my laptop. It finds the "linksys" network and works just fine. I move around the house -- no problems. I plug it back into TiVo -- no cigar.

So,

1) What can be wrong (with TWO TiVos)?
2) How can I (or can I) see how TiVo is configuring the adapter during hardware discovery?
3) Where can I go for more help?

I am familiar with networks (years of experience), as well as many brands of computers (at home I have 7 PCs (one is a linux Mail/FTP/www server), 2 Amigas, 2 Macs, a Sun workstation, and an HP/Apollo workstation).
But, I can't get my "plug-and-play" little TiVo working :-((

Please help ...

(P.S. sorry for the long, ranting post -- I'm rather frustrated)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteakMan is offline Old Post 07-03-2003 06:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteakMan Find more posts by SteakMan Add SteakMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteakMan
TiVo Forum Special Member

In between attempts, did you re-boot your router? Many do not like to assign an IP address to the same machine name with a different MAC, and even more do not like to assign an IP address to the same MAC with a different machine name.

-SteakMan-

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RepairDad is offline Old Post 07-03-2003 07:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RepairDad Find more posts by RepairDad Add RepairDad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RepairDad

No, I didn't reboot the router. I haven't for many many months. But that would not (necessarily) explain why switching to the Netgear USB worked after trying two others.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 07-03-2003 07:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Also, in regard to the attempt with the WUSB11 wireless USB adapter on the TiVo -- what are you using as a wireless access point (router)? If it is running 802.11g or mixed mode (802.11b/g), it may need to be put into 802.11b only mode.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

challinan is offline Old Post 07-06-2003 07:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for challinan Find more posts by challinan Add challinan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
challinan

Cool Just solved that same problem!!

You don't mention your router model...but here's something that did it for me...after 2 days of reconfiguring my network (Linksys 802.11B/G router - model WRT54G) in every way imaginable & getting no connection from the TiVo with this adapter, I searched the messageboards and discovered this adapter is "tempermental" with a combined 802.11b/g router. The TiVo site recommends it, but no one mentions router compatibility...get the WUSB12 model - worked like a charm in 3 minutes! Good luck.
(Call stores to see who has the WUSB12 model in stock - I went to MicroCenter & Circuit City before finding it @ CompUSA.)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RepairDad is offline Old Post 07-06-2003 09:36 PM
RepairDad

Smile It finally works

Putting the router into b-mode only mode seems to work. My 2 TiVos now talk to the router. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

If I had known (earlier) about the WUSB12 I would have bought that version. But now I have 3 WUSB11's (1 for each TiVo and one for my laptop) so I guess I'll stick with them.

BTW: I have the Linksys WRT54G router.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged