TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> GSOD / disk copy <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
280g is offline Old Post 08-02-2003 12:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 280g Find more posts by 280g Add 280g to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
280g

GSOD / disk copy

Hi,

I have had the GSOD ( green screen of death ) three times previously. Each time I did the swap trick using mkswap & pdisk on the incative drive. I always reverted back after it got out. I know the drive was failing, but I didn't get a new one and the 4th gsod showed up. I tried the swap trick & it did not work. I tried to revert back. I don't even get to the gsod screen anymore. I don't remember what i pdisked or what I mkswapped or how many times I did it. Is there a way to see what stat the tivo is in and set it back to normal?

Also, I bought a new drive of the same make and size. Is there a way to copy my dive to the new one saving the tivo settings and programs?

Is there a way to copy just my settings over if I have to lose my programming? Or will copying the old messed up drive just produce a new drive with a bad configuration.

Can I just start with a clean slate with the new drive and it will work even though I have a secon drive?

All I want is for my tivo to work again. I had two drives, a 160 & a 120. The 120 seems fine. The 160 is flaking out.

I also want to make sure that I have 128mb of swap space set on the new drive. Any advice on accomplishing that?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Dave

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 08-02-2003 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

What sort of TiVo is it?

Failing to get to the GSOD (how far do you get? 'almost there'?) suggest you shuffled the partitions. Do pdisk -l and you'll see the list of the TiVo's partition. The correct order is

1 map
2 boot 1
3 kernel 1
4 root 1
5 boot 2
6 kernel 2
7 root 2
8 swap
9 /var
10+ MFS partitions

assuming you haven't run mkswap on your active root partition, restoring that order should make your TiVo bootable again.

dd can clone the failing drive on to a new one. Instructions in Hinsdale. Use conv=noerror,sync.

I don't think you can increase swap permanently as there's no free space on the drive. GSOD's are actually very rare, so as long as you can get a properly functional drive in there you should be OK.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

280g is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 04:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 280g Find more posts by 280g Add 280g to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
280g

Hi,

I checked it out and I have:

1 map Apple_partition_map
2 boot 1 Image Bootstrap 1
3 kernel 1 Image Kernel 1 2M
4 root 1 Ext Root 1 2M
5 boot 2 Swap Linux Swap 128M
6 kernel 2 Image Bootstrap 2 64M
7 root 2 Ext2 Root 2 128M
8 swap Image Kernel 2 4M
9 /var Ext2 /var 128M
10+ MFS partitions MFS applicatiosn region 256M

It doesn't match. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S

You just need to keep using the r command to swap pairs of partitions until you get them back into the correct order. pdisk doesn't write any changes until you tell it too, so if you get confused just quit and try again.

You haven't actually damaged anything by doing this, it's just not where the boot loader expects it to be.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

280g is offline Old Post 08-04-2003 03:40 AM
280g

I got everything in the order you suggested but the Tivo just sticks at "Powering up". What exactly is mkswap doing? When doing the original change I used mkswap -v0 /dev/hda4 & mkswap -v0 /dev/hda7

BTW, when I do a pdisk -l while in the pdisk shell, the last thing it tells me is "Bad partion #"

Also, I tried to mount hda4 & hda7 and they both came back with: "Looks like swapspace, not mounted. mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

What is hda4 & hda7?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dave

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 08-04-2003 06:17 AM
Robert S

mkswap, as the name sort-of suggests, makes swap. Linux expects to see a 'signature' on a file or partition that is to be used for swap and mkswap creates that signature. The -v switch tells it which of the two possible types of swap to create - the TiVo kernel uses the older style.

pdisk -l needs to be typed at the shell prompt. I think it's just l once you're in pdisk. (? gives you some help).

hda4 and 7 are partitions on the hard drive, one of them holds most of the TiVo system files. The other is unused most of the time, so it's available for conversion to swap temporarily (the partition will be used when the next software upgrade comes in, so it is not available permanently).

If you've run mkswap on both 4 and 7 then you've corrupted the system software, which may be why the TiVo won't boot. You could copy this partition off another hard drive with the system software on it with dd, but if you don't have such a thing handy then you're probably just going to have to restore a backup.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

280g is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 11:38 AM
280g

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have a backup. I do have a new drive I bought which is also 160gb. I knew the drive was failing but I was too late in doing a copy. I got the GSOD again before I made the copy. I tried the swap trick and had this time it didn't work, which might have had to do with the failing drive. I am guessing I did something wrong, and it would have worked if I did it right. I know that the drive only had 64mb of swap space, which I have read is low for a total of 280gb. With my messed up drive, is there any way to copy to my new drive increasing my swap to 128mb, copying my settings and my programming? At this point I would be happy just having a working Tivo, so I don't mind losing my settings or programs. I just want my 160gb drive a & 120gb drive b to start tivoing again.

Cheers,

Dave

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged