TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> JavaHMO 1.0 Alpha released <<<

Pages (7): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RODzilla is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RODzilla Find more posts by RODzilla Add RODzilla to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RODzilla

ok thanks - i got everything installed ok according to the readme and will give it all a try when i get home tonight. thanks!

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timf is offline Old Post 09-10-2003 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for timf Visit timf's homepage! Find more posts by timf Add timf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timf
TiVo Forum Special Member

I installed JavaHMO last night and like what I see so far. I'd just like to add a few comments and issue reports with the features.

The MP3 listings are not handled as well as the normal TiVo HMO software. I don't like seeing .mp3 after every file, and the data when looking at the detailed information screen (things like Artist, Album, Track, Year, etc.) is not always displayed properly.

The movie listings work for some theaters, but not all. I can see data for the first 3 theaters listed, but the remaining 2 show no data. Additionally, I can't see data for any theater beyond a couple days in the future, despite there being the option to rotate the image to see more dates. Perhaps you could hide dates and theaters which have no information available. I would also like to have some control over which theaters are displayed, as only 2 of the theaters that show up are ones I would ever go to, while there are others nearby that are missing.

There also needs to be some form of access control like there is in TiVoServer to choose which TiVos can see the JavaHMO media from my computer. I'm not sure if it would be possible, but ideally I'd like individual control over TiVos such that I can send certain media to one but not the other.

For the latest DirecTV local channel information, go here .
Visit AVS Forum Live Chat for live help with your TiVo! View channel stats here .

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 12:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

I will remove the extentions to the names for the mp3 files and playlists.

I am relying on a third-party package to determine the mp3 details such as artist, etc but have not been satisfied with the results sofar. I am planning on using something better in the future.

I'd be interested to know if you get the same results for the movie listings if you use your detials at www.movies.com
I suspect that you will find that there will not be data for those days; This seems to happen mostly after coming Fridays. (I will see about hiding days with no data) Also you could experiment with different zip codes at www.movies.com until you get the listings you prefer and then use that in the JavaHMO configuration.

I will add access control as a future feature.

Thanks

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RODzilla is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 02:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RODzilla Find more posts by RODzilla Add RODzilla to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RODzilla

quick question - everything installed ok and seems to start up ok (no errors in log) but my TiVo will only show me "Music from TiVo Online" and "Photos on TiVo Online" as my options under music and photos menu... doesn't seem to recognize my laptop running javaHMO - where should i look? thanks!

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RODzilla is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 02:08 AM
RODzilla

interestingly enough (and hopefully a clue) when i start the TiVo beacon and/or publisher i can no longer see my laptop that way either (was working fine right before i installed javaHMO)

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 03:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

If you send me the JavaHMO logs I can determine if this is a networking problem. Are you using a wired or wireless connection to your TiVo?

Thanks

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RODzilla is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 04:30 AM
RODzilla

thanks a mil. i just emailed them to you. after a reboot of my computer and TiVo - i got the TiVo HMO working again... but can't get javaHMO working still (same issue). FYI.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RODzilla is offline Old Post 09-11-2003 04:31 AM
RODzilla

ps i'm using wireless (all linksys)

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timcolson is offline Old Post 09-13-2003 06:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for timcolson Find more posts by timcolson Add timcolson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timcolson

Say there -
I am curious - does the TiVo send a unique ID to the media server? In other words, would there be some way to run the server on a public IP, but still be able to customize the content based on an ID?

It's too bad TiVo won't let us type in arbitrary URL's for a server - just dotted IP numbers.

Cheers,
Timo

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 09-13-2003 12:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by timcolson
Say there -
I am curious - does the TiVo send a unique ID to the media server? In other words, would there be some way to run the server on a public IP, but still be able to customize the content based on an ID?

It's too bad TiVo won't let us type in arbitrary URL's for a server - just dotted IP numbers.

The TiVo sends out its service number in all its requests so it should be possible to customize content based on this. I'm not sure how much of a need there would be for this. I suppose people might want to set up different music/photos for different TiVos in the house, but other than that there reallly isn't a mainstream need for this.

The TiVo remote really isn't designed for entering URL or web addresses. It's actually easier to enter IP addresses. Unfortunately this means you can't just use any web server, you need to have your own server and it needs to be "HMO" aware. Either that or you need to run a TiVo HMO server software.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TVbug is offline Old Post 09-14-2003 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TVbug Find more posts by TVbug Add TVbug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TVbug

JRE install hang

Following the instructions in the JavaHMO readme file, I downloaded and
tried to install the JRE SE v1.4.2_01 The install starts, but then hangs
up, not making any progress. Tried repeatedly, but same thing even after
a fresh d/l from the Java web site. XP Pro on my Presario. Any ideas why
I get stuck?

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-14-2003 09:41 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

Do you have enough resources (CPU/memory) during the installation?

Are you experiencing any other problems on your system?

Are there any error message in your control panel/adminstrative tools/event viewer logs?

Do you have a C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2 directory? If so, delete and try again.

Is you hard drive full? You need at least 50MB for the JRE.

Is your file system corrupt? Try chkdsk /f at the command line and reboot.

Do you have other versions of the JRE installed? You might have to uninstall those and reboot.

Do you have any Java processes running in Task Manager? If so kill those for the installation.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-14-2003 09:15 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

TiVo beacons

timcolson: Regarding your question on unique ID's:

TiVo broadcasts a small packet of information called a beacon onto the network to tell any listening media servers (and other TiVo's) about itself. Here is a typical TiVo beacon:
tivoconnect=1
method=broadcast
platform=tcd/Series2
machine=DVR ABC1
identity=29900044051ABC1
services=TiVo-ServeTcdVideo-1:2191/tvbus_v3
swversion=4.0.1-01-2-240

The identity parameter is unique and is the serial number of the TiVo box.

A similar beacon is also sent by each media server, so that TiVo knows where to get any media from. This is what JavaHMO broadcasts:

tivoconnect=1
method=broadcast
platform=pc/Windows XP
machine=JavaHMO Server
identity=1234567890
services=TiVoMediaServer:8081/http

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TVbug is offline Old Post 09-15-2003 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TVbug Find more posts by TVbug Add TVbug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TVbug

> Do you have enough resources (CPU/memory) during the installation?

1Ghz PIII with 512Mb

> Are you experiencing any other problems on your system?

No

> Are there any error message in your control panel/adminstrative
> tools/event viewer logs?

Nothing extraordinary. Just the System message about the installer
starting up.

> Do you have a C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2 directory? If so,
> delete and try again.

Tried that a few times.

> Is you hard drive full? You need at least 50MB for the JRE.

10Gb free

> Is your file system corrupt? Try chkdsk /f at the command line and reboot.

I doubt it, but I'll give this a try.

> Do you have other versions of the JRE installed? You might have to
> uninstall those and reboot.

No other versions.

>Do you have any Java processes running in Task Manager? If so kill
> those for the installation.

Nope, no other Java processes running.

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TVbug is offline Old Post 09-15-2003 03:53 AM
TVbug

> Do you have enough resources (CPU/memory) during the installation?

1Ghz PIII with 512Mb

> Are you experiencing any other problems on your system?

No

> Are there any error message in your control panel/adminstrative
> tools/event viewer logs?

Nothing extraordinary. Just the System message about the installer
starting up.

> Do you have a C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2 directory? If so,
> delete and try again.

Tried that a few times.

> Is you hard drive full? You need at least 50MB for the JRE.

10Gb free

> Is your file system corrupt? Try chkdsk /f at the command line and reboot.

I doubt it, but I'll give this a try.

> Do you have other versions of the JRE installed? You might have to
> uninstall those and reboot.

No other versions.

>Do you have any Java processes running in Task Manager? If so kill
> those for the installation.

Nope, no other Java processes running.

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-15-2003 04:05 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

I recommend that you search in the Sun forums for a possible solution. Here is one that might help:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.js...art=0&trange=15

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmichno is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmichno Find more posts by jmichno Add jmichno to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmichno

slow to show up

I loaded up the A6 version last night and was very impressed w/ what I saw. The only problem is that it is very slow to show up when I go into Music + Pics. It will take about 60 seconds for the music/weather/etc folders to show up while the shared goodies on the tivo supplied server show up in a matter of seconds.

I am running the server on a Linux box w/ tons of ram, but the CPU is not the latest or greatest (dual P2 400). What type of prcessing requirements are there?

Also, the tivo is also on a wireless network. I have no problems streaming mp3's through the tivo supplied server, so I do not think bandwidth is the problem.

Any ideas why it might be slow?

As a side note, this project got me thinking about what else can be served up through the home media features. I found a a utility to convert html to png using some standard kde tools:
www[dot]babysimon[dot]co[dot]uk/khtml2png

(changed '.' to '[dot]' since I cannot post URL's yet. grrrr)

I have not had time to fully play with it, but it seems like it would be trivial to create a cron script that will convert entire web pages to images so they can be seen on a tivo. For example, I should be able to show these on my tivo:
lemond[dot]no-ip[dot]org/tivo/movies.png
lemond[dot]no-ip[dot]org/tivo/sf_49ers.png

(Of course, you would need linux to do this.)

Thanks for any help,
-Jed

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jwedding is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 04:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jwedding Visit jwedding's homepage! Find more posts by jwedding Add jwedding to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwedding
Support AAC Now!

Has anyone tried this out on OS X yet? This whole thread intrigues me, but I've not seen any Mac testers. I saw on the sourceforge page that it's platform independent, but I'm not overly familiar with the *nix underpinnings of OS X, so I didn't want to be the first.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 06:39 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

There arent any specific hardware requirements at the moment. I have been developing JavaHMO on a 2.4GHz P4 running XP, but also testing on an old 600MHz P3 running Redhat Linux 9 (I have a wired network). I have several people lined up who will be doing some testing before the first full release is made public; hopefully that will give me a better indication of what the recommended hardware should be.

JavaHMO A6 does contain a thumbnailing thread which is a bit heavy on the processor. I have already removed this with a better mechanism. This could be a source of the speed problems. I have also made several improvements in the listing behaviour which should speed things up nicely escpecially if you have large collections of images or mp3's

Thanks for the suggestion on showing web pages. I had thought about this before, but that will have to wait for future version. I would prefer to implement it directly in Java so it should work on all platforms.

I was planning to release a Mac version soon, although the current Linux version might work out of the box.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmichno is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 08:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmichno Find more posts by jmichno Add jmichno to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmichno

web pages

I tried looking at some web pages that I turned into png's. Since the TV has such a low resolution (640x480??) and you cannot zoom or scroll you run into one of the following problems:
-the image gets scaled so much you can read anything
-you can read the image, but you don't get much more than the page header

Oh well, worth a try....

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged