TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> JavaHMO 1.0 Alpha released <<<

Pages (7): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TVbug is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 08:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TVbug Find more posts by TVbug Add TVbug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TVbug

JRE install hang - fixed!

Even thought I had 10Gb free, the disk need a defrag badly. Following defrag, JRE and JavaHMO install succeded. Thanks for the help!

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-16-2003 08:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

I am hoping to add support for RSS in the future to allow all kinds of interesting web content to be added to HMO. I plan to render the RSS data in JavaHMO using big fonts similar to the ones used in the cinema listings.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

timcolson is offline Old Post 09-17-2003 09:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for timcolson Find more posts by timcolson Add timcolson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timcolson

Re: TiVo beacons

quote:
Originally posted by javahmo
timcolson: Regarding your question on unique ID's:
TiVo broadcasts a small packet of information called a beacon onto the network to tell any listening media servers (and other TiVo's) about itself. Here is a typical TiVo beacon:
The identity parameter is unique and is the serial number of the TiVo box.

If the Media Server was notsitting on the same local LAN as the TiVo, could the TiVo serial number still be seen by the Media Server during each request?

For example, if I installed JavaHMO server but then gave the IP# to a friend with a TiVo, would JavaHMO be able to tell which TiVo was connecting to it?

Thanks!
Timo

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-17-2003 10:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

The beacons are only transmitted onto the local network. However, the same beacon packet is sent from TiVo to the server when a manual connection is made. So, yes, the serial number identifier could be used to tell which Tivo is connecting to the server (even on servers on the public internet).

BTW JavaHMO does not support manual connections yet.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgstroud is offline Old Post 09-17-2003 12:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jgstroud Find more posts by jgstroud Add jgstroud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jgstroud

I have created RedHat 9 RPMS for JavaHMO, but this BBS will not let me post urls to the files until i post 5 messages.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgstroud is offline Old Post 09-17-2003 12:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jgstroud Find more posts by jgstroud Add jgstroud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jgstroud

I am currently looking into the X11 requirement. I have been unable to get JavaHMO running without an X server. It starts and dies shortly thereafter. This requirement does not seem to make much sense when javaHMO is running on a file server.

Ok, thats 2 posts. Only 3 more before I can give you the URL to the RPMS.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 09-17-2003 06:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for windracer Find more posts by windracer Add windracer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

quote:
I am currently looking into the X11 requirement. I have been unable to get JavaHMO running without an X server. It starts and dies shortly thereafter. This requirement does not seem to make much sense when javaHMO is running on a file server.

I had the same issue when I first started using it. javahmo suggested setting my DISPLAY variable and this seemed to work. I still see the X errors in the log, but JavaHMO starts and I can see my Photos and MP3s on the TiVo. I'm running Mandrake 9.

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-17-2003 07:25 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO

There is some code in JavaHMO which uses utilities in the Java AWT package which is normally used to create GUI's and applets. I can only assume that since I am referencing this package, the JRE needs X11. I have tried to remove this code, however it is currently the only way I can support animated gif's.

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgstroud is offline Old Post 09-17-2003 08:24 PM
jgstroud

quote:
Originally posted by windracer
I had the same issue when I first started using it. javahmo suggested setting my DISPLAY variable and this seemed to work. I still see the X errors in the log, but JavaHMO starts and I can see my Photos and MP3s on the TiVo. I'm running Mandrake 9.

Interesting. I am able to start javaHMO without an X connection, and connect to it briefly, but it dies after about a minute. I will try to look deeper into this problem tonight.

Only 2 more posts, and I can submit links to the RPMs. What a pain in the butt.

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

windracer is offline Old Post 09-17-2003 10:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for windracer Find more posts by windracer Add windracer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windracer
a!&#^d NO CARRIER

quote:
Only 2 more posts, and I can submit links to the RPMs. What a pain in the butt.

You can get around that by replacing some chars in the URL. For example:

http://www[dot]yahoo[dot]com

It won't make the link automatic, but that way we can still get the URL from you.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-17-2003 11:35 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

Here are the RedHat 9 RPM's jgstroud created for JavaHMO:
http://www.elijahstroud.com/downloa....0A6-2.i386.rpm
http://www.elijahstroud.com/downloa...1.0A6-2.src.rpm

Last edited by javahmo on 09-17-2003 at 11:41 PM

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgstroud is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 08:50 PM
jgstroud

Ok, so now I have 2 projects. 1 getting wireless network running on a nomad or ipod, and 2 gettting something like javaHMO working on that device. I really dont like having to keep multiple mp3 collections. I really want to keep it all on one portable device that I can play at home, in the car, at work etc.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jwedding is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jwedding Visit jwedding's homepage! Find more posts by jwedding Add jwedding to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwedding
Support AAC Now!

Wireless on an ipod? I don't think it's likely! Apple's not going to open that API in this lifetime.

I agree with you though. I gave up on wireless, but installed a dock on top of my stereo, and ran a lineout-RCA to the tuner. It actually works out well, cause I can now have the Video output from the Tivo to do slideshows, and Audio output from the iPod to get sound. Way cool in it's own special geeky way.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tsar Chasm is offline Old Post 09-20-2003 08:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tsar Chasm Find more posts by Tsar Chasm Add Tsar Chasm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tsar Chasm

Okay, I installed ver. 6 tonight in about 10 minutes. Wow. I am glad someone is taking the time to extend this. I am very interested to see what you guys come up with next.

If anyone has any live Internet pics they would like to recommend, I am all ears.

Also looking for any NPR streams if someone has that information.

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

twn2 is offline Old Post 09-20-2003 01:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for twn2 Find more posts by twn2 Add twn2 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
twn2

I'm having issues. I'm rather a newbie to Linux and I'm running SuSE 8.2. I installed the rpm and configured configure.xml. I type JavaHMO in a command line as root and get:

linux:/usr/lib/javaHMO # JavaHMO
Usage: JavaHMO <file> [configuration properties] [...]
<file> is the application configuration file.

[configuration properties] are configuration name-value pairs which
override values in wrapper.conf. For example:
wrapper.debug=true

Options: --help

I also tried this:

linux:/usr/lib/javaHMO # JavaHMO start
FATAL | wrapper | Unable to open wrapper configuration file: start

Can anyone point out to me what I'm doing wrong...or least somewhere to start?

Thanks,
Tom

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgstroud is offline Old Post 09-22-2003 07:43 AM
jgstroud

The RPM installs the run script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/JavaHMO
You need to run '/etc/rc.d/init.d/JavaHMO start'

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 09-22-2003 08:29 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO 1.0 Alpha 7 released

The following improvements have been implemented:
1. Fixed image code to support animated gif's.
2. Fixed mp3 fast forward and rewind.
3. Added a web based configuration GUI.
4. Removed file extentions from item names.
5. Changed thumbnailing mechanism (again).
6. Optimized sorting of large lists.
7. Several improvements in the image loading code.
8. Cinema days are only shown for days with available show listings.
9. Cinema listings that are too long are shown across multiple screens.
10. Added 5 day extended weather forecast.
11. Added national weather forecast image.
12. Expanded on current weather conditions data.
13. Main menu items are now alphabetically sorted.

The biggest addition to this release is a web-based GUI. This is part of my attempt at making JavaHMO more consumer-friendly. My hope is that the final 1.0 version will be very simple to install and configure without having to edit any configuration files.

The time it takes to do thumbnails is still an issue. I have changed the mechanism from the one used in the previous alpha; some things will be slower and others faster.

The list of features have been locked for the 1.0 version. I anticipate that there will be another alpha version before the full 1.0 version is released. The next alpha will include an installation wizard.

If you have any feature suggestions, or find any bugs, please add them to the project lists at http://sourceforge.net/projects/javahmo

If you need any assistance with an installation issue or possible configuration problem, please mail me your configuration file and logs.

Have fun!

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

twn2 is offline Old Post 09-22-2003 09:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for twn2 Find more posts by twn2 Add twn2 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
twn2

You need to run '/etc/rc.d/init.d/JavaHMO start'

Done, but I keep getting errors like

Starting JavaHMO: /etc/rc.d/init.d/JavaHMO: line 26: daemon: command not found

linux:/home/tom # /etc/rc.d/init.d/JavaHMO
/etc/rc.d/init.d/JavaHMO: line 7: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: No such file or directory

I used an rpm to install this. Did I boo-boo?

Tom

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgstroud is offline Old Post 09-22-2003 09:46 AM
jgstroud

The problem is because the RPM is designed for a RedHat system. Try putting the attached file in your /etc/rc.d/init.d directory.

Oh, and rename the file to functions
I had to make it a .txt file to upload it. Permissions should be 755.

Attachment: functions.txt
This has been downloaded 63 time(s).

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

twn2 is offline Old Post 09-22-2003 11:25 AM
twn2

Closer. Now I get:

linux:/home/tom # /etc/rc.d/init.d/JavaHMO start
Starting JavaHMO: /etc/rc.d/init.d/JavaHMO: line 26: daemon: command not found

Just one thing after another. ;-)

Tom

BTW: If you want to do this offlist, twn2(at)linuxmail.org

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged