TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> Remote shortcut for Standby <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
neil is offline Old Post 03-14-2002 07:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for neil Find more posts by neil Add neil to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
neil

I can vouch for that, too. I have the DirecTV remote with a Philips SA, and the Tivo button only started working after my upgrade to 2.5. Until then you have to press the left arrow button to get back to the menus.

Now what's this "Tivo+Tivo" button press do? I haven't heard of that. (Edited- 3/14) Answering my own question, since I wasn't home last night to try it: It takes you straight to Now Playing- COOL!

Last edited by neil on 03-14-2002 at 11:24 PM

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JetPilot is offline Old Post 03-10-2003 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JetPilot Find more posts by JetPilot Add JetPilot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JetPilot

Back to the Standby shortcut.....

So, is there a shortcut, backdoor, or other way to quickly put my TiVo in standby?

If not, P L E A S E add it the next update. [ I like the TiVo + 0 button or TiVo + ].

My TV has no spare A/V inputs so my TiVo is between the cable and the TV and I need to put it in standby to watch one channel while the TiVo is recording another (RF passthrough).

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-11-2003 01:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

You used to be able to buy replacement AT&T TiVo remotes at the TiVo Store that had a Standby button that would work on any non-Sony TiVo, but they don't appear to be offering them anymore.

I'd like to hack it to let the PIP/Window button act as Standby. That's where the Standby button was on the AT&T TiVo remotes.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nabsltd is offline Old Post 03-11-2003 08:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nabsltd Find more posts by nabsltd Add nabsltd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nabsltd

Re: Back to the Standby shortcut.....

quote:
Originally posted by JetPilot
So, is there a shortcut, backdoor, or other way to quickly put my TiVo in standby?
Try Tivo, Channel Down, Select.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 03-12-2003 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Re: Re: Back to the Standby shortcut.....

quote:
Originally posted by nabsltd
Try Tivo, Channel Down, Select.

Should be:
TiVo, Channel Down, Select, Channel Down, Select

Assumes no current * promotion.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 03-12-2003 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
I'd like to hack it to let the PIP/Window button act as Standby. That's where the Standby button was on the AT&T TiVo remotes.

I would like a hack to create specific menu jumps to any screen based on a specific sequence or button.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

phone1 is offline Old Post 03-12-2003 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for phone1 Find more posts by phone1 Add phone1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phone1
?????????

I programmed a macro button on my Sony RM-VL900 remote for the key presses required, also turns off the TV and receiver - works great.

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-12-2003 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Re: Re: Re: Back to the Standby shortcut.....

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo
Should be:

Assumes no current * promotion.

That also assumes you're not already at TiVo Central. If you are, you've just started playing a recording from Now Playing.

TiVo, Left, PgDn, Select, PgDn, Select

The Left gets you out of Now Playing if TiVo took you there and just issues a bongf sound if it took you to TiVo Central. Of course, this doesn't work if you were in a place where you can't press the TiVo button to get out.

But nothing can reliably deal with both the presence and absence of a star promotion, not even going Down from the top of TiVo Central, because TiVolution Magazine and Showcases may also be absent from that menu at times. Only sending the IR code for Standby found on AT&T TiVo remotes works reliably. (Philips Pronto users are lucky they can enter hex values for remote codes.)

Right can be substituted for Select.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nabsltd is offline Old Post 03-12-2003 02:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nabsltd Find more posts by nabsltd Add nabsltd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nabsltd

Re: Re: Re: Back to the Standby shortcut.....

quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo
Should be:

I guess that shows how often I use "Standby", huh? Thanks.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrettStah is offline Old Post 03-12-2003 05:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrettStah Find more posts by BrettStah Add BrettStah to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrettStah
TiVo Forum Special Member

DirecTivos now have Standby on the main menu, so nabsltd's steps work find for them.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 03-15-2003 11:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
And the List button... it sounds like it does the same thing as Tivo + Tivo... man, I press that button twice so quickly I doubt I'd be much faster if there was a dedicated button for it. The slight delay for the Now Playing list to actually appear is the only slowdown.

I had a Sony with the List button... and it's taking me forever to get used to the Tivo Tivo button with the peanut TiVo remote. I'd much rather have a "list" button than a "PIP" button, for example.

I also HATE HATE HATE the peanut shape. I want a shape I can tell, in the dark, what's up and what's down. I can't tell you how many times I've picked it up and started to rewind rather than ff because I'm holding the remote backwords.

Another remote issue: The clear button. I use that all the time, and it's so hard to see and find.

If someone came out with a differently shaped remote, I'd buy it in an instant. The Sony remote was infintely better and ergonomically easier to use.

Peter

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 03-19-2003 06:28 AM
HTH
No Avatar Selected

I take to feeling both the top and bottom surfaces. You can usually tell if you've got it backwards by feeling the button surface rather than the underside.

Or you could adhere something to the underside which would tell you, like Velcro hook&loop with an adhesive backing. Might even be useful for adhering the remote to the side of your chair/couch.

Or use it without the battery cover. You'll notice the touch then.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Azure is offline Old Post 03-20-2003 11:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Azure Find more posts by Azure Add Azure to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Azure

Before I bought my VL900, I too would sometimes end up with the remote turned around backwards in the dark. So I got in the habit of dragging my thumb lightly downward before trying to FF. If I could feel the number pad, I knew I had it right.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darkman28 is offline Old Post 11-15-2003 05:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darkman28 Find more posts by Darkman28 Add Darkman28 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darkman28

Easy fix

Debat about if I should put Tivo in standby aside, for those of us who do tend to do this it would be nice if the TV power button that turns my TV and stereo system on and off would also put Tivo in standby since I'm not watching it with the TV off.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged