TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> WUSB11 2.8 -- Should I return it? Help! <<<

Pages (3): « Prev 1 [2] 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Smirks is offline Old Post 09-23-2003 07:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Smirks Find more posts by Smirks Add Smirks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
Are you sure it is a version 2.8 adapter? Can you do me a favor and look at the label on the bottom of the adapter under the velcro sliding strip and see what it says there?

I finally got around to checking, and the adapter is actually v2.6, so I stand corrected. The box did have v2.8 on it, so I figured it was a 2.8 adapter too.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jeffkehler is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jeffkehler Find more posts by jeffkehler Add jeffkehler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeffkehler

Hi evreyone,

I am new to Tivo and love it so far. I bought a linksys USB ver 2.6 from local best buy for $45 with a $10 mail in rebate two days ago ($35 net). I guess I got lucky because it is a 2.6. I plugged it into the lower port and the tivo recognized the wireless connection and helped me set it up. I could not have been easier.

I look at it like this......Tivo is great and the phone line thing did not bother me at all. I got lucky. If i was not lucky, I planned to wait until tivo updated things to work with the 2.8. All of you Tivo lovers have been using the phone line up until now haven't you? So relax and don't jump Tivo bill. It's not his fault.

By the way......I suggest everyone who could not get the tivo to work with the 2.8 to hook the USB 2.8 up to a portable or desktop computer where your Tivo is located to see if you can get a signal to that area. Maybe the wireless device is not working because your WAP or router can't see the signal. Just an idea.

Jeff

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zhatka is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 01:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zhatka Visit zhatka's homepage! Find more posts by zhatka Add zhatka to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zhatka
Ex-Tivo Junkie

I am going to go out on a limb here, but when I was researching a wireless adapter for my Series 2, I went to:

hxxp://customersupport.tivo.com/tivoknowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm#OtherWireless

It clearly states that if you are going to get a WiFi adapter, specifically Linksys, it recommends v2.6 .

What is the hoopla surrounding the spotty results of the v2.8 ? What did you expect?

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Stuart is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 01:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stuart Find more posts by Stuart Add Stuart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stuart

The hoopla is that the new WUSB11 box doesn't indicate which version is inside. Moreover, it appears that Linksys stopped making the 2.6 version and the links on Tivo's web-site go to amazon, etc., where they happily sell you a 2.8 version. Of course you don't know what version you get until you open up the box.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jk5598224 is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 06:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jk5598224 Find more posts by jk5598224 Add jk5598224 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jk5598224

jk5598224

Just to let everyone know I ordered the USED Belkin FD6xxxxrw driver from www.belkin.com as suggested on this site previosly for about 29.00 USD. It worked in the Tivo and I have a 1xx series. I haven't set up the wireless yet but it did register in my Tivo.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Inundated is offline Old Post 09-26-2003 10:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Inundated Find more posts by Inundated Add Inundated to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inundated
Not Really Here

My box for my Linksys WUSB11 is definitely the 2.8 box (it's the third one Bill described, and on the bottom in small print, it even says 2.8).

But the adapter inside was indeed a 2.6, thankfully...as it worked fine with my TiVo as soon as I plugged it in.

I'm quite fortunate, as there appear to be NO OTHER compatible adapters in my local electronics superstore! The Netgear MA101 went away... now they only sell the MA111, which is not compatible. The third brand I remember - D-Link - I don't know if it works with TiVo.

But I'm happy myself...cause *I* ended up with the right one. I'd have been ticked if it was a 2.8!

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

edroth is offline Old Post 09-29-2003 07:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for edroth Find more posts by edroth Add edroth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edroth

This situation is really outrageous for any kind of software or hardware company. If an item is "supported" and listed, it is ridiculous to expect a consumer to search for whether it is v. 2.8 or v.2.6 particularly when so much purchasing is done over the Internet. It is also insulting to say that this is "why" wusb12 was added to the list - because v.2.8 was having problems.
Is Tivo going to take care of the inconvenience, the shipping charges, etc. that are incurred with such slight of hand?
If Tivo uses Linux and drivers are needed for a product supported then Tivo should GET THEM, INSTALL THEM and stop making excuses. If TIVO is advertising home networking, it has the same responsibility any other software company has: support your product.
I'm wavering between fighting or simply switching to another DVR.
Ed

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 09-29-2003 07:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

quote:
If Tivo uses Linux and drivers are needed for a product supported then Tivo should GET THEM, INSTALL THEM and stop making excuses.

That'd be nice, but no such drivers exist. Linksys does not have any such drivers, they do not support Linux, and the community has not (to my knowledge) developed any as of yet.

While TiVo should indeed work toward resolving this, don't forget the other half of the equation -- Linksys completely changed their device without changing the name of it and did not inform their partners of this change. Some of the blame certainly goes to them.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grevemes is offline Old Post 10-08-2003 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for grevemes Visit grevemes's homepage! Find more posts by grevemes Add grevemes to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grevemes

wireless

I had such a positive experience with my first S2 and the linksys unit, I just bought another one from CDW.

It arrived today -- and here I am in this forum learning I got shafted.

And as for old vs. new. The Tivo doesn't like the ANCIENT USB10TX either!

I don't mind little problems or quirks, but this is WAY beyond that. How long does it take to make a driver for a new model of a unit you recommend?

Of course, the real culprit here is Broadcom. How a device manufacturer operates this way these days is beyond me. All they have to do is release the interface spec. The community will take care of the rest.

Last edited by grevemes on 10-08-2003 at 07:13 AM

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tolstoy is offline Old Post 10-08-2003 08:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tolstoy Find more posts by Tolstoy Add Tolstoy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tolstoy

WUSB54G Wireless-G USB Adapter

I don't mean to throw gas on the flames, but I noticed on the Linksys website they list a new WUSB54G Wireless-G USB Network Adapter. I have the WUSB11 2.6 but it sure would be nice to transfer recordings a little bit faster.

I wonder if these types of problems will prompt TiVo to build in wireless networking in a future release of the hardware (SA3?). Or maybe an Ethernet port and just use a Ethernet bridge.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iridium8 is offline Old Post 10-11-2003 04:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iridium8 Find more posts by iridium8 Add iridium8 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iridium8

I'd like to add to Tolstoy's post:

I'm in the process of setting up a wireless network using the 802.11g standard. Like Tolstoy, I'd like to connect my TiVO to the wireless network using the WUSB54G adapter not the WUSB12 adapter. The reason being that I want my network running at the 54mbps speed and therefore every device that I connect to my network must be using 802.11g adapters. Anytime a 802.11b adapter / device is connected to 802.11g network, the entire network must run at the 802.11b speed of 11 mbps.

So my question to everyone: can I use the WUSB54G adapter with my TiVO 2 (series 240), OS version 4.0 ??

Thanks in advance.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-11-2003 04:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by iridium8
So my question to everyone: can I use the WUSB54G adapter with my TiVO 2 (series 240), OS version 4.0 ??

Right now this adapter isn't on the list so I doubt it would work at all.

However, I did see that LinkSys now makes a 802.11g bridge similar to the 802.11b WET 11.

There's no reason you couldn't use the 802.11g ethernet bridge along with a ethernet USB adapter.

Before the wireless support in version 4. I used the WET11 with a ethernet USB adapter to have wireless on my TiVo.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Want1394 is offline Old Post 10-11-2003 06:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Want1394 Find more posts by Want1394 Add Want1394 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Want1394
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by iridium8
....... Anytime a 802.11b adapter / device is connected to 802.11g network, the entire network must run at the 802.11b speed of 11 mbps. ........
This is not correct at all. If you need links to the many sites that do explain how 11b and 11g coexist, I would be happy to provide a couple.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ruc2827 is offline Old Post 10-11-2003 11:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ruc2827 Visit ruc2827's homepage! Find more posts by ruc2827 Add ruc2827 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruc2827

quote:
Originally posted by Want1394
This is not correct at all. If you need links to the many sites that do explain how 11b and 11g coexist, I would be happy to provide a couple.
You're both correct. While the 802.11g draft spec certainly provides for interop, and while interop certainly works, all reputable performance tests prove that interop certainly does slow all connections down to near 802.11b levels. See www.tomshardware.com for tests. Likewise 802.11g normally only gets about 20mbs max throughput, despite specs claiming 52mpbs. So, bottom line, don't believe all the tech specs.

Last edited by ruc2827 on 10-23-2003 at 11:07 AM

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mchero is offline Old Post 10-21-2003 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mchero Visit Mchero's homepage! Find more posts by Mchero Add Mchero to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mchero
Almost old member

Re: Re: I agree! Tivo Should help!

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
Sorry to hear about your troubles getting an adapter to work. We actually did do months of testing on dozens of different adapters before software version 4.0 was released. That is how we compiled this list:

www.tivo.com/adapters

Unfortunately several new adapters have hit the market since 4.0 was released that use different standards or chipsets, making them incompatible with TiVo DVRs. The only adapters that will work are the ones on our list, or those using the exact chipsets and firmware.

Tivo better get on the horn with Linksys and compare notes!

I just soke with a Linksys CS that put me on hold to check compatibility. Came back on-line telling me that Linksys WUSB11 ver. 2.8 IS compatable with Tivo Series 2.

I have the same problem as others, Get a new S@, force calls over steam driven modem to get up to ver 4 and then find out Tivo not "seeing" the WUSB11 (v2.8).

Version not marked on outside of box anymore.

RM

40hr S2 MS WiFi USB Ethernet
80Hr S2 with WUSB11 v2.8
JavaHMO
Tatung 42" EDef Plasma
Comcast Motorola 6200 STB

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mchero is offline Old Post 10-21-2003 08:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mchero Visit Mchero's homepage! Find more posts by Mchero Add Mchero to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mchero
Almost old member

quote:
Originally posted by zhatka
I am going to go out on a limb here, but when I was researching a wireless adapter for my Series 2, I went to:

hxxp://customersupport.tivo.com/tivoknowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm#OtherWireless

It clearly states that if you are going to get a WiFi adapter, specifically Linksys, it recommends v2.6 .

What is the hoopla surrounding the spotty results of the v2.8 ? What did you expect?

How do you purchase a v 2.6 WUSB11 if it's not marked on the outside of the box? Is Linksys still manufacturing 2.6?

RM

80Hr S2 with WUSB11 v2.8
JavaHMO
Tatung 42" EDef Plasma

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 10-21-2003 11:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

If you look underneath the bottom of the box under the barcode it says either 2.6 or 2.8

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mchero is offline Old Post 10-22-2003 01:00 AM
Mchero
Almost old member

quote:
Originally posted by futerfas
If you look underneath the bottom of the box under the barcode it says either 2.6 or 2.8

The new box DOES NOT have any version number on the outside. I assume this is because they are no longer manufacturing/boxing the 2.6 version.

RM

80Hr S2 with WUSB11 v2.8
JavaHMO
Tatung 42" EDef Plasma

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mchero is offline Old Post 10-22-2003 01:10 AM
Mchero
Almost old member

quote:
Originally posted by futerfas

The new box DOES NOT have any version number on the outside. I assume this is because they are no longer manufacturing/boxing the 2.6 version.

Im currently on the phone with Tivo CS & was told that a new SW patch is due out "soon".

RM

80Hr S2 with WUSB11 v2.8
JavaHMO
Tatung 42" EDef Plasma

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 10-22-2003 11:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mchero

RM

All of the "Cisco" branded packaging (for 2.6 and 2.8 Linksys adapters) does have a version number written under the bar code on the bottom flap (not on the front panel). The issue we have seen is that it sometimes says "2.8" when there is a really a 2.6 inside.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged