TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> JavaHMO 1.0 released <<<

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GadgetGeek is offline Old Post 10-22-2003 04:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GadgetGeek Find more posts by GadgetGeek Add GadgetGeek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GadgetGeek
TiVo/JavaHMO Rocks!

JavaHMO rocks! I found that the TiVo Desktop was not stable on my system. It would fail on a regular basis.

I down loaded and set up JavaHMO and I love it! The features are great! I love being able to check the weather or local traffic (I look at the local traffic cams with the "Internet pictures" feature) at any time. I can even check the view from one of my favorite places, Mt. Washington NH anytime I want!

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to create such a great product!

TiVo take notice!

HMO (on both)
Wireless Network
D-Link DL-711 Gateway
D-Link DL-120 Adapter
LinkSys WUSB11 Ver 2.6 Adapter
Windows 2000 Pro Server
JavaHMO

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

2000vfr800 is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 06:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 2000vfr800 Find more posts by 2000vfr800 Add 2000vfr800 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2000vfr800

OK...I downloaded the program, and all the Java stuff. I installed the Java programs and get the correct version information at the command prompt. I also removed the TiVo desktop software and it is no longer in my services. I also modified the path as directed.

However, when I reboot, I get the following message in the event viewer:

The JavaHMO TiVo TCM service terminated with the following error:
Incorrect function.

When I try to start JAVAHMO, it times out and I get the following message:

I'm running Windows2000...

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jagec82 is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 02:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jagec82 Find more posts by jagec82 Add jagec82 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jagec82

The PATH instructions are somewhat vague and I think that that is the problem I am having. Exactly what information goes where? Do I need the quotation marks? Is it a user variable or a system variable? What is the variable name and value?

Thanks!

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 05:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

The JRE bin directory needs to be added to the SYSTEM PATH environment variable. The variable name is PATH.

If you accepted the default settings when you installed the JRE then the path to the JRE bin directory will be:
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin
(some people have downloaded later versions of the JRE and therefore the path will be different for that version)

Here is an example of a typical SYSTEM PATH variable value:
"C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin";%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%

The quotation marks are neccessary since the path to the JRE bin directory contains spaces.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

2000vfr800 is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 05:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 2000vfr800 Find more posts by 2000vfr800 Add 2000vfr800 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2000vfr800

Well...after having issues installing this on my laptop, I tried installing it on my home PC (the one I'm having problems with HMO anyway).

It works...AWESOME!!! This is so sweet! Now I just have to figure out the playlist thing or a way to easily random play all the music in my music directory...

Again...SO AWESOME!!

Thanks!

Don

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jagec82 is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 06:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jagec82 Find more posts by jagec82 Add jagec82 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jagec82

I still can't get it to work. When I try to start the service, I get: Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

2000vfr800 is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 06:38 AM
2000vfr800

See if the Java that installed is in C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01 or C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02. Then make sure the path you added matches that.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jagec82 is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 06:51 AM
jagec82

I have both on my system. Both do not work. All I did was cut-and-paste the example already listed. I'm sure I'm doing something so simply VERY wrong. Thanks for everyone's help.

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 07:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

Send me your logs:
C:\Program Files\JavaHMO\logs\log.txt
C:\Program Files\JavaHMO\logs\wrapper.log

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jagec82 is offline Old Post 10-25-2003 07:32 AM
jagec82

You've got mail! :-)

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rjcrum is offline Old Post 11-01-2003 05:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rjcrum Find more posts by rjcrum Add rjcrum to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rjcrum

So...I wanted to install JavaHMO on my Windows 98 SE machine this weekend, and wanted to make sure there weren't any 'gotchas' involved. Mention was made earlier about having to make a few changes to install and run on Win98; have those been incorporated into the installation instructions at Sourceforge? I didn't notice anything specific to Win98.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kindred is offline Old Post 11-01-2003 10:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kindred Find more posts by Kindred Add Kindred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kindred

nyjklein
Try cutting down the size of your directories to 126 and see if that fixes it. It sounds like it a signed byte integer, so it rolls over at 127 to a -1 when the high bit is set to one.

Good luck
Jack

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 11-02-2003 11:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

I finally got around to installing this after moving and put in my new city and state and the weather function reported that the weather data couldn't be located.

I went to the Yahoo page that JavaHMO uses and it reports "No match found" when I use the city, state parameters. Using my zip code works fine.

So my question is why does JavaHMO ask for the city, state and zip code for weather and only use the city and state parameters (and not the zip code).

Likewise, the movie configuration asks for city, state and zip code and only uses the zip code parameter in its request to the web site.

Wouldn't it be easier to just ask for a zip code up front and then use that for accessing both weather and movie info?

Also I made a change to the configuration file while JavaHMO was running to get the weather to work. I thought that JavaHMO is supposed to reload the configuration file every 5 minutes? I never saw any requests for the weather after that. In fact I didn't see anything in the log.txt file after starting the server up before connecting with the TiVo.

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 11-03-2003 12:37 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

The configuration was designed to be generic, so any weather site could be used. At the moment 3 different weather sites are being used to obtain data, each handling the location info differently. JavaHMO should at least attempt to try different combinations between city,state and zip code to find a match. I will file a bug.

The same goes for the movie data (although only one site is used for the data at the moment).

To use the same location information for both weather and movie data seems like a good idea, however, it has proved to be very troublesome. The different sites wont always give you the data you expect for the same location. For example, sometimes the movie location have to be tweaked with a zip code nearby to get the right listings.

The configuration file is not reloaded every 5 minutes; the weather data is. If you edit the configuration file directly you have to restart JavaHMO manually. If you use the GUI to make configuration changes, all the changes are saved to the configuration file and take immediate effect without requiring a restart.

Last edited by javahmo on 11-03-2003 at 12:40 AM

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

swc69 is offline Old Post 11-03-2003 01:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for swc69 Find more posts by swc69 Add swc69 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swc69
TiVo for MeVo!

Win98

I also am trying to get this installed on a Win98 machine.

I don't see JavaHMO running as a service in the System Configuration Utility. Not sure how this works in a win98 environment.

I put Javaws into the startup area. I figured I also needed to use javaws to open the JavaHMO file as part of startup but that doesn't seem to work.

I'm really just guessing at everything, has anyone got this working on Win98?

Thanks!

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Eoghann is offline Old Post 11-03-2003 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Eoghann Visit Eoghann's homepage! Find more posts by Eoghann Add Eoghann to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eoghann
Grumpy Young Man

Great bit of software you've written. Thanks for the hard work.

I have notice one small bug in the configuration GUI though. When I enter my location for the Weather feature, it correctly stores the town and ZIP code but my state gets changed from WV to WI. Not sure if its just that state or the problem is more widespread.

Its a minor thing as its easy enough to just edit in the text file, but I thought I'd report it.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bevinst is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 10:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bevinst Find more posts by bevinst Add bevinst to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bevinst

I had a few problems with installing (operator error and not printing out the installation page from the website) but got it working. The readme file you show in the installation should contain a copy of the installation section from the website.

Also, an uninstall does not remove the JavaHMO service and a re-install does not update path information for the service information. BTW, is there a way for a user to remove a service?

I was a little dissapointed in the clutter in the TiVo menu this program adds -- even those features I didn't configure or disabled such as the internet pictures option shows up on the TiVo menu.

On first glance, I love the added features of being able to view the weather information and local theater schedule.

Some usability problems:

It seemed a little bit slow in creating thumbnails for an image directory compared to the TiVo supplied software. Also, I encountered a couple of server lost error messages from the TiVo while attempting to page down before the thumbnails had been updated. I've never had this problem with the TiVo supplied software on my network.

The current dealbreaker for this software -- It hangs if I attempt to play a music folder with subdirectories. TiVo software handles this with no problem, JavaHMO gives me a "Please Wait" message and no music. It's not fatal, in that I can back out of this screen, but it doesn't work. The error messages from this condition from the logs.txt file on two different attempts are:

2003-11-04 22:14:04,718 ERROR [PoolThread-12] TiVoConnectServlet -
2003-11-04 22:16:05,401 ERROR [PoolThread-21] TiVoConnectServlet -

-Tommy

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 08:21 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

The installation wizard will be replaced in a future version which will elliminate the uninstall issues with the current wizard. You can use the uninstall.cmd script in the JavaHMO bin directory to uninstall the service manually.

We are working on providing the user with much more control over what gets displayed on the TiVo. We hope to include a plugin architecture in a future version which will allow users to pick what they want to see on their TiVo.

We are continuously looking at improving the performance of JavaHMO. There is currently a known resource problem when you quickly page through images before they are thumbnailed.

One of the developers is working on fixing the subdirectory bug. It will probably be included in the next version.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WoodyL is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 09:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WoodyL Find more posts by WoodyL Add WoodyL to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WoodyL

Any idea when the next version will be out? I can't make it work until the Manual Connect feature is added.

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeltheTiVoFan is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 10:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeltheTiVoFan Find more posts by JoeltheTiVoFan Add JoeltheTiVoFan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeltheTiVoFan

The big feature I want in JavaHMO is...

...getting the movie listings shown to be more than the first web page of the movie listing service. There is no "zip code" choice I can make which will get me the theaters I typically visit. Besides, it should be easy enough for the Java code to hit that "next" button until done...

Please add this - it would be very helpful!

-Joel

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged