TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> JavaHMO 1.0 released <<<

Pages (6): « First ... « Prev 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
icatar is offline Old Post 11-13-2003 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for icatar Visit icatar's homepage! Find more posts by icatar Add icatar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icatar

Unhappy

No WMA support yet???

POST #81 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 11-24-2003 08:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK
TiVo Forum Special Member

novice linux help

I need help stting this up for linux.

I'm a complete novice, except from reading and experience fiddling around a little while upgrading a bunch of Tivo's

I just get a magnia SG20 server appliance. It is a celeron box with a built in router and a 20gig hard drive.

It runs redhat 7.3 - theres no keyboard/mouse monitor, so i have to telnet in to do anything. To further complicate things i need to telnet in as a telnet user and then su over to root user. But I got learned that much and then also found webmin so i'm almost sitting pretty.

ANyhow I have gotten the java packages installed and added that directory to the path and confirmed that's OK by doing java -version and i get the proper message.

From this point I run into trouble-

I see I need to set the DISPLAY variable, but honestly i'm completely lost on that. I goggled around and all i could really see is a couple of choices of 0 or 0:0 that were suggested for completely unrelated things so i tried both of those and neither seems to do what i need. (the explanation i could find where just really over my head at this point)

When I JavaHMO Start at the telnet prompt it replies with a green OK. If I status really quick after i get running. But after a minute or so when I do a JavaHMO status I get " JavaHMO dead but subsys locked"

-Am I setting the wrong DISPLAY value? (I havent a clue)

-Is there a problem because i have to telnet in to do this? (I think i could futz around enough to set things up thouth the init files and webmin so the box is all set when it boots, but i dont want o muge around too much till i know i have the correct steps figured out)

-Or am I stupid and doing something else wrong. (thats always a possibility ...)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

PS- not so sure its the DISPLAY thing, cause the info i found searching here about that, said to try a prerelease version that didnt require that variable to be set, I tried that and same basic situation. No fun.

POST #82 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgstroud is offline Old Post 11-24-2003 10:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jgstroud Find more posts by jgstroud Add jgstroud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jgstroud

The problem you describe is almost definately related to the DISPLAY var. To set a DISPLAY variable you would do something like this:
export DISPLAY=:0
however, in your case, you probably don't have a display. You need to grab this prerelease RPM that has the DISPLAY requirement removed:

http://www.elijahstroud.com/jhmo/ja...1.01-5.i386.rpm

POST #83 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 11-25-2003 06:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

quote:
Originally posted by jgstroud
The problem you describe is almost definately related to the DISPLAY var. To set a DISPLAY variable you would do something like this:
export DISPLAY=:0
however, in your case, you probably don't have a display. You need to grab this prerelease RPM that has the DISPLAY requirement removed:

http://www.elijahstroud.com/jhmo/ja...1.01-5.i386.rpm

jackpot! I'm almost there.

I saw your post suggesting that in another thread and i think i downloaded the -4 version from the link you posted there but for some reason it didnt work- maybe i just had a typo.

Anyhow, the version you gave me above is perfect. Runs fine, just need to configure it,

NOW, my last bit is using the configuration web page. Since i have to telnet in, i cant really browse from the linux box. I can connect to the page if I use the IP of the server appliance with the port setting, but ot requests a username and password. I've tried all the user names and passwords from the appliance so it must be something from JavaHMO. Got any ideas? I searched here and looked on the sourcforge page but couldnt find anything nothing.

edit- while hunting for the configure file, i found the password file in the same directory. SO LIFE IS GOOD- i'm in.

AWESOME little toy for the linux illiterates of the world!

Last edited by MichaelK on 11-25-2003 at 06:27 AM

POST #84 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rwatson119 is offline Old Post 11-25-2003 08:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rwatson119 Find more posts by rwatson119 Add rwatson119 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rwatson119

Help Its not showing on my Tivo

I followed all the instructions and the service is running but I don't see it on my Tivo. I don't have tivo desktop installed so i know its not that.... PLEASE HELP... I WOULD LOVE TO USE JAVAHMO!

THANKS

RON

POST #85 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 11-25-2003 09:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

I am assuming you are running Windows. Send me the following files:
C:\Program Files\JavaHMO\conf\configure.xml
C:\Program Files\JavaHMO\logs\log.txt
C:\Program Files\JavaHMO\logs\wrapper.log

POST #86 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jim__Clark is offline Old Post 12-01-2003 09:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jim__Clark Find more posts by Jim__Clark Add Jim__Clark to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim__Clark

javahmo I would like to thank you for your hard work. I have owned my TIVO for less than 2 weeks and have had a great time with the upgrades and now this. I use a MAC for my Tivo desktop publisher and a XP box for JAVAHMO the combination works great. Your time and effort is very much appreciated. I was planning on giving 3 Tivo units for Christmas presents and I must say your work has assured that that will happen.

Thanks Jim

POST #87 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

eeg0323 is offline Old Post 12-02-2003 07:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for eeg0323 Find more posts by eeg0323 Add eeg0323 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eeg0323

Talking Thanks

My thanks also. Downloaded the progarm this afternoon and had it owrking in less than 20 minutes. No problems other than the tic-tac-toe does not work, but that is no big deal.

POST #88 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 12-03-2003 11:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222

No MacOS X version

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #89 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

WoodyL is offline Old Post 12-03-2003 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for WoodyL Find more posts by WoodyL Add WoodyL to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WoodyL

Any news on when the next version will be released?

POST #90 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-04-2003 12:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

I have just received news that somebody managed to get JavaHMO working on OS X! We might be able to support an OS X specific distribution if testing confirms that everything works.

I had indicated in previous postings that 1.1 would have been released around this time. However, we have made many significant improvements to JavaHMO and would like to do more testing before the public release. I am hoping that this will happen within the next few weeks.

POST #91 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbarrera is offline Old Post 12-04-2003 12:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bbarrera Find more posts by bbarrera Add bbarrera to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bbarrera

any success on linux servers without X?

Thanks for all the great work, I really appreciate the effort. I've got a couple of old laptops running Linux and OpenBSD as file servers on my network.

Today I installed JavaHMO on the Debian Linux server -- barebones server with no X. Lots of problems. Interestingly I got javaHMO menus on Tivo right away but then configuration killed that, plus I couldn't get graphical configurator working properly from a WinXP IE6 browser. Checked my WinXP box and noted I had Java 1.3.1 so then I upgraded WinXP to JRE 1.4.2-02 and that fixed problems with running the graphical configurator.

After reading this thread about X server and noting several other errors in log files, I upgraded to your latest beta 1.01-5. Still having reliability problems and noting JVM restarts and other errors in logs. Can't get Images working -- error in Thumbnail Thread is reported in javaHMO.log. Various other problems.

Do you have reports of jhmo working on no-X Linux/BSD distros other than RedHat Linux?

POST #92 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 12-04-2003 06:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tefler Find more posts by tefler Add tefler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tefler

Re: any success on linux servers without X?

quote:
Originally posted by bbarrera
Do you have reports of jhmo working on no-X Linux/BSD distros other than RedHat Linux?

I have it working on a non-intel BSD-variant that doesn't have X11 installed. I found that one problem was with the AWT libraries attempting to set some stuff up for graphical display. The fix I used was to add the following flag to the wrapper.conf file of javahmo:

-Djava.awt.headless=true

It goes in the section which has the arguments passed to java like -Dconf=..

I'm not sure if that is what the 1.01 RPM does that jgstroud posted, though, so this information may or may not help.

POST #93 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbarrera is offline Old Post 12-04-2003 08:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bbarrera Find more posts by bbarrera Add bbarrera to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bbarrera

Thanks, I'll try that:

wrapper.java.additional.17=-Djava.awt.headless=true

POST #94 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 12-04-2003 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tefler Find more posts by tefler Add tefler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tefler

quote:
Originally posted by javahmo
I have just received news that somebody managed to get JavaHMO working on OS X! We might be able to support an OS X specific distribution if testing confirms that everything works.

To be more specific, javaHMO will work on OS X 10.3.1 or later (Panther). It also requires a pre-release package to be downloaded and installed from Apple (the JAI libraries). Some folks may not want to do that on their primary/production systems.

All of the functions seem to work except for the 1.0 web interface for configuration which is not compatible with Safari or IE on OS X. The next version of javaHMO seems to have fixed those problems, though. You can connect to the configuration page from a windows machine with IE or edit the config file directly for now.

I am currently working on an OS X package which will automate the installation of javaHMO. However, I'd like to solicit some feedback from the various OS X users on how they would like it to install. I see the following options (in order of difficulty to implement - thus longer time before its available):

a. Install as a system service that starts at bootup automatically. No interface to start/stop (maybe system preference pane in the future). All files would most likely get installed into /usr/share/javaHMO (where Panther seems to put most open source apps - I'm open to suggestions of other places). Logs would be placed in /var/log. This would be similar to how TiVoDesktop works.

b. Create a single application which can be dragged into your application folder and double clicked on to start. Like most apps, it would only be running when you are logged in and have launched it. The benefit of this is that you don't need to have it running all the time and you can start/stop it at will. Also, to remove it, you would just have to drag the application to the trash.

c. A combination of the two where you can drag/drop the app anywhere on your system and then have a utility to install it as a system service.

I could have option A (minus the preference pane) done this week. The others would take a bit more time/effort to do it properly.

Also, since this is a pluggable environment, if anyone is interested in working on an AAC -> MP3 converter, I can get you the pieces earlier.

POST #95 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbarrera is offline Old Post 12-04-2003 10:22 PM
bbarrera

Still not working. I'll play around some more this weekend.

I'm also concerned about DNS. This server is running djbdns dns cache on 192.168.111.5 and authoritative server for LAN on 127.0.0.1. If code uses 127.0.0.1 for dns lookups then they will fail. I'll try installing on my OpenBSD server (headless no X) and then my Linux laptop (has X) and see if it works on those platforms.

*** snip from wrapper.log ***
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | java.awt.HeadlessException
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(Unknown Source)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | at java.awt.Window.<init>(Unknown Source)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Unknown Source)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Unknown Source)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | at org.lnicholls.javahmo.container.WeatherImageTiVoContainer.download(WeatherImageTiVoContainer.java:216)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | at org.lnicholls.javahmo.container.InternetImageTiVoContainer$Downloader.run(InternetImageTiVoContainer.java:56)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

*** snip from javaHMO.log ***
2003-12-04 08:14:39,676 ERROR [Thread-2] InternetImageTiVoItem -

POST #96 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 12-04-2003 11:16 PM
tefler

I don't see how DNS would be affecting this.

What version of Java are you running? The headless option requires at least 1.4.1. Also, I would verify which java executable is getting run by javaHMO in case you have multiple versions installed on your system.

Your particular stability problem may not be related to this at all, though.

POST #97 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tefler is offline Old Post 12-05-2003 09:32 AM
tefler

quote:
Originally posted by bbarrera
*** snip from wrapper.log ***
INFO | jvm 1 | 2003/12/04 08:15:16 | java.awt.HeadlessException

Scratch my last statement. Adding the headless option does not solve the problem. I had missed that I was still getting the exception. Solving it requires a change in how the Weather module does its image manipulation. It uses some code which won't run headless (MediaTracker/Frame).

I need to solve it for the OS X install to work correctly as well, so if I make any progress, i'll let you know.

POST #98 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 12-06-2003 12:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222

But I'm only on MacOS 10.2.8

Anyway, if I had my vote for installation I'd pick B) above.

I might bring a Win laptop home to play with this this weekend...it sounds cool. I'm not sure I understand how it works, though.

Is there any danger to my TiVo? Do I need to enable backdoors or hack the TiVo in any way?

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #99 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-06-2003 12:46 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO complies with the specifications published by TiVo at http://tivo.com/developer

JavaHMO does not rely on any backdoors or hacks. JavaHMO acts as a media server for TiVo with HMO.

The only danger is that you might end up using your TiVo more.

POST #100 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged