TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> Suggestions for Version 3 <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 11-19-2001 07:22 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ursapooh

Lightbulb Suggestions for Version 3

1) NIC
2) Erase portions of recording
3) Commercial Skip
4) Space estimator
5) Undelete
6) And lastly...

Recordings that overlap should at least record the non overlapped portions.

------------------
Shawn

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tasky is offline Old Post 11-20-2001 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tasky Visit Tasky's homepage! Find more posts by Tasky Add Tasky to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tasky
TiVo Forum Special Member

These are all things that have been asked for before.

1) NIC would be nice. Get the guide data from broadband.
2) I would love this.
3) They will never do it. At least, not until Replay has their day in court.
4) It does this already. Not necessary. If you schedule something and it isn't going to fit, it will warn you. I do not see the point of a "Free Space Indicator". Many want one. If they put it on a screen I don't have to see if I don't want, then have at it.
5) Undelete? There are far too many "Are you sure" screens already. But I guess you could undelete something that had not been overwritten yet. Again, bury it in a screen I don't have to look at.
6) If it doesn't record the whole thing, I don't want it recording any of it.

I have to disagree with your last request though. If the whole thing isn't recorded, don't record it.

------------------
-Tasky

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bobjohnson is offline Old Post 11-20-2001 03:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bobjohnson Visit bobjohnson's homepage! Find more posts by bobjohnson Add bobjohnson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobjohnson
Using a corked bat.

I'm sorry tasky, but ursa is partially right.

Let's take E.R. for example, it always starts about 2 minutes early at 9:58 on Thursdays. CSI which starts at 9 on Thursdays almost always has nothing but credits at 9:58, I would much rather lop off the last 2 minutes of CSI so I can catch the beginning of E.R. instead of having to not record CSI at all, have E.R. record 2 minutes early, and watch CSI live, and then pick up with E.R. That's a pain in the ass, and TiVo certainly needs to address overlap issues, and starting and ending early or late.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tasky is offline Old Post 11-21-2001 01:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tasky Visit Tasky's homepage! Find more posts by Tasky Add Tasky to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tasky
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by bobjohnson:
I'm sorry tasky, but ursa is partially right.

Let's take E.R. for example, it always starts about 2 minutes early at 9:58 on Thursdays. CSI which starts at 9 on Thursdays almost always has nothing but credits at 9:58, I would much rather lop off the last 2 minutes of CSI so I can catch the beginning of E.R. instead of having to not record CSI at all, have E.R. record 2 minutes early, and watch CSI live, and then pick up with E.R. That's a pain in the ass, and TiVo certainly needs to address overlap issues, and starting and ending early or late.

OK, this makes sense. So we would have to put a limit on this "record it anyway" thing. Maybe 5 minutes or less of overlap?

------------------
-Tasky

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-21-2001 02:08 AM
ILoveTivo

Why impose a limit instead of letting the person decide? Hey, if I want to record only the second half of a two hour documentary, why should TiVo care?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mykall is offline Old Post 11-21-2001 02:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mykall Find more posts by mykall Add mykall to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mykall

1. Ability to record from second input source ie
HDR 312 has RF in and RCA in...make one the primary
and the other available for hook-ins in manual mode.

2. The ability to watch a separate channel than the one
being recorded ( I know it only has 1 tuner, but
it should be able to capture from another frequency
and feed it to the screen.

M.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rob Helmerichs is offline Old Post 11-22-2001 04:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Helmerichs Visit Rob Helmerichs's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Helmerichs Add Rob Helmerichs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Helmerichs
Um...

And since we seem to be stuck with hard padding, manual recordings in increments of 1 minute and/or starting late/stopping early options would be nice...

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-22-2001 11:57 AM
SciFiGuy

Lightbulb

I'm sure these have been suggested before. Anybody know if they're planned for vs 3? (In order of importance

1) Ability to select multiple programs to send to VCR
2) Machine programmable through an internet account (but,
with security so that neither TIVO nor anybody else can
access the info for ANY purpose
3) Ability to both start and stop programs a variable number
of minutes (I think they currently have one, but not the
other
4) More intellegent Season Pass - if two episodes of the
same program have the same description, only record
one. The user should be able to turn on/off this
feature

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rob Helmerichs is offline Old Post 11-23-2001 11:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Helmerichs Visit Rob Helmerichs's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Helmerichs Add Rob Helmerichs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Helmerichs
Um...

quote:
Originally posted by SciFiGuy:
4) More intellegent Season Pass - if two episodes of the
same program have the same description, only record
one. The user should be able to turn on/off this
feature

I'm not sure I understand you...as it stands, if the show IDs are the same, it only records one. But if it went by the program description, then those shows that have only generic descriptions (for example, the Buffy reruns on FX starting next week) would only record one episode.

I think the way they have it set up right now is pretty good (they could make the 28-day rule optional, I suppose, although I certainly like it); what we need isn't better TiVo software, but better guide data, so the rules will work more effectively.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-26-2001 07:24 AM
TheDisident

I'd like to see:

1) NIC
2) Firewire connection
3) Disk space remaining -(I'd like to know when I have to start deleting shows that I've Saved. Some shows are nice to record an entire season so I can watch them later)

-Disident

"... One out of a million residents, being dissident who aint' kissing it..."

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ToddHealy is offline Old Post 11-27-2001 09:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToddHealy Find more posts by ToddHealy Add ToddHealy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToddHealy

My top two would have to be
1. A means of connecting multiple (at least two) TiVos so they can coordinate their recordings and share preferences/season passes. Two tuners in a DirecTiVo are not enough to guarantee every show gets recorded so there is still more coordination than TiVo should require.
2. Free space indicator and size information on the program detail screens.

------------------
Philips 109 hour SA
Philips 126 hour DirecTivo
Philips 35 hour DirecTiVo

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-27-2001 11:53 AM
uzihaq

What is NIC?

I would very much like to erase portions of recorded,
Space estimator is also useful, sure you can have tivo do everything for you but you should be able to have your options open to be able to organize some stuff by yourself.

Undelete, not really- that would take extra space, a lot of extra space. I'm not sure what you would use it for, if you are saying that you delete it by mistake then yeah i see what you are saying... For that you can have a 10-15 second delay before it deletes (of course you wouldn't have to be at the sceen waiting for it to count down, just it will be at the "now showing" but greyed out for a certain amount of time before it's deleted.)

I very much agree with #6 also, friends goes over 1minute usually and i don't mind missing the first minuite of the Tick (which didn't turn out to be that good)

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ToddHealy is offline Old Post 11-27-2001 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToddHealy Find more posts by ToddHealy Add ToddHealy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToddHealy

quote:
Originally posted by uzihaq:
What is NIC?

Network Interface Card

------------------
Philips 109 hour SA
Philips 126 hour DirecTivo
Philips 35 hour DirecTiVo

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-27-2001 09:58 PM
orev

quote:
Originally posted by mykall:
1. Ability to record from second input source ie
HDR 312 has RF in and RCA in...make one the primary
and the other available for hook-ins in manual mode.

2. The ability to watch a separate channel than the one
being recorded ( I know it only has 1 tuner, but
it should be able to capture from another frequency
and feed it to the screen.

M.

On 2, Uh, what do you think a tuner does? It captures a frequency and sends it to the screen - so to do that you need another one, no question. There's a much simpler solution, just use another input on your TV or get a coax switch from radio shack.

------------------
NyQuil is the only thing on the planet that comes in both red and green, and actually tastes like *red* and *green*.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-27-2001 10:25 PM
FordC

Ability to login to your direct tv account and pick programs to record sent down the data stream would be great. I'd also like to see multiple directtivo's on the same account have the option to use the nightly call/datastream downloads to sync their thumbsup/down/seasonpass/deleted shows/etc to keep multiple boxes fairly well synced. I know this wouldn't be the ideal solution, but would be at least possible. I watch 80%+ of my tv in my den, and hate it that my tivo's in my bedroom and game room never have good stuff cause they never stay current with our tv watching tastes.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 11-27-2001 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

quote:
Originally posted by FordC:
Ability to login to your direct tv account and pick programs to record sent down the data stream would be great. I'd also like to see multiple directtivo's on the same account have the option to use the nightly call/datastream downloads to sync their thumbsup/down/seasonpass/deleted shows/etc to keep multiple boxes fairly well synced.

That would involve sending personally indentifiable information back to TiVo, who discloses it to DirecTV, and out over the satellite network where others could access it.

It would definitely need to be an option. Maybe I don't want my boxes sharing their thumb ratings, so that I have one that seeks out Sci-Fi and another that seeks out Drama. Maybe they're personalized to members of the family with different tastes in programming.

With a NIC, TiVos on the same LAN could act in a gestalt manner and negotiate conflicts amongst each other, and the information would not need to be shared with TiVo, DirecTV, and anyone monitoring the satellite network.

------------------

"[E]ven the unauthorized home time-shifting of... programs is legitimate fair use."
-- Sony Corp. v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984)

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-28-2001 02:20 AM
FordC

quote:
Originally posted by HTH:
That would involve sending personally indentifiable information back to TiVo, who discloses it to DirecTV, and out over the satellite network where others could access it.

It really doesn't bother me if people know that I watch Debbie Does Dallas 6, Jerry Farwell or whatever, as long as Direct TV/Tivo don't sell my name/address/phone number to people like their EULA says they won't.

I was just suggesting a way they could get a low cost shared/remote programming going without the added cost of modified hardware, serious hacking. It's not a trivial procedure to add tivo net to a directtivo box.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-28-2001 04:23 AM
Waymond

A reminder feature.
If your in the guide and you check a program, it should give you another option of having the reciver automatically turn to that station when the program starts airing, instead of just recording it.
And caller ID
Im pretty sure it would only be a software change to do this, I dont think theres any extra hardware thats needed. My phone with the caller ID is in another room, and it would be nice to have the number appear in one of the corners instead of getting up off my lazy bum to find out its a telemarketer.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 11-28-2001 04:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnJr Find more posts by JohnJr Add JohnJr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

I'd really like to see View Upcoming in Showcases and TiVo Magazine. Basically everywhere you could possibly decide to record a show.

-John

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

klknoles is offline Old Post 11-29-2001 09:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for klknoles Find more posts by klknoles Add klknoles to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
klknoles

The new AT&T broadband model already has USB, but I don't want TiVo to stop there. In time (like when it becomes affordable enough) incorporate all 3 major ports: USB, Ethernet, and FireWire, and then after that make the 2nd gen. of each port.(USB 2, 10/100/1000 ethernet, and 800Mps FireWire) Though any one can basically handle the functionality of the other 2, they are best suited performing their own dedicated functions. USB could handle tons of external devices like a wireless keyboard & mice or even a USB netcam (cool toy for a TiVo), ethernet could handle all distant networking and broadband, and FireWre could let you connect your TiVo to DV devices like camcorders, expand to external drives, and directly link with other nearby TiVos (usually less than ~6 ft)
I intend to get the new AT&T USB TiVo mostly for the USB port, so you better believe that I'd jumpt at the chance to get one with even more ports.

------------------
Kevin L. Knoles
klknoles@fgi.net

[This message has been edited by klknoles (edited 11-28-2001).]

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged