TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> I'm tired of waiting for AAC support. <<<

Pages (4): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
michaelkpate is offline Old Post 11-19-2003 03:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for michaelkpate Visit michaelkpate's homepage! Find more posts by michaelkpate Add michaelkpate to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
michaelkpate

Daisy Multimedia's Bluetooth MP3 player

Chic, miniature, advanced and vociferous: this is the new Diva digital audio player. You can listen to MP3 and AAC music from your internal memory or SD/MMC card, scan radio programs and record with a single button-pressing from the FM tuner or the built-in microphone. - Daisy Multimedia

How about a Bluetooth inside?

via Gizmodo

Michael

p.s. This would have included the proper URLs but I find I do not quality to include them. Good Luck surfing there on your own.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jwedding is offline Old Post 11-26-2003 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jwedding Visit jwedding's homepage! Find more posts by jwedding Add jwedding to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwedding
Support AAC Now!

Kick...get this back on top!

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jgoldstein2000 is offline Old Post 12-11-2003 02:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jgoldstein2000 Find more posts by jgoldstein2000 Add jgoldstein2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jgoldstein2000

I want my AAC!

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MarcelV is offline Old Post 12-11-2003 10:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MarcelV Find more posts by MarcelV Add MarcelV to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MarcelV

This was part of Tivo's press release 2 years ago:
=====================================================
TiVo’s upcoming premium service package will use Rendezvous technology to automatically discover Macintosh computers within the home network and determine which services they provide, allowing customers to listen to their shared music or view their shared photos on their TV,” said Jim Barton, Co-founder and CTO for TiVo. “We are excited about working with Apple on other ways Rendezvous can help TiVo Series2 DVRs connect to a Mac to deliver future services.”
=====================================================

They owe us big time!

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dth21 is offline Old Post 12-11-2003 10:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dth21 Find more posts by dth21 Add dth21 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dth21

And this is what TiVo said in late May:

"We are working with Apple on a solution to support the AAC file format while also honoring the rights of copyright holders," a TiVo spokesperson told MacMinute.

http://www.macminute.com/2003/05/28/tivo

Not a peep since.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-18-2003 09:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Here's a thought. How about giving some gift certificates to the iTunes Music Store to some of the TiVo people on the forums?

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adamek is offline Old Post 12-19-2003 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for adamek Visit adamek's homepage! Find more posts by adamek Add adamek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adamek

While I would jump to buy HMO as soon as it support AAC files, it doesn't look like we're going to get it any time soon.

Does anyone know of a good way to send audio from the audio out port of a Mac to a stereo in another room about 40 feet away?

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-19-2003 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Why don't you convert the AAC files over to MP3? There's a Mac-based utility that will do this. I've done this and then loaded the MP3 files back into iTunes and got rid of the AAC files I got from the iTunes Music Store.

To your question -- the best way would be to run a wire but I presume you're thinking of doing this wirelessly. I believe there are some wireless audio senders just like there are wireless video senders.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daverx7 is offline Old Post 12-25-2003 11:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daverx7 Find more posts by daverx7 Add daverx7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daverx7

Well... I have now finally completed my reripping of all my CDs to MP3. Whew... that was a lot of work... BTW, I tried the conversion utility but for some reason it would wig out and not convert some files, so I opted for the more pure route and just go back to the original source.

At least I can now use my HMO with my existing series 2, but I'm still bitter. Doing this caused me to lose a lot of time and HD space (due to having to go to a higher bitrate to compensate for MP3 quality vs. AAC).

With all this being said, I am now **NOT** going to buy a Series 2, HMO, and another iPod. I am going to look to other devices that are in the same space as more devices support MP3 than AAC.

If there was AAC support with HMO, I would have purchased another Series 2 and an iPod... Looks like Tivo, Apple, and myself lost on this...

Merry Christmas!!

-Dave

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 12-26-2003 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

Realistically, unless Tivo says they actually do support something, nobody should buy based on potential future support.

They are making decisions based on economic realities.

MP3 may not be the best format out, but its the most widely supported format. If I had to plunk down dollars in vegas to place a bet, I'd put it all on MP3, because it is the lowest common denominator.

I still remember my father in law arguing that Beta was better than VHS and griping because nothing was available in Beta any longer.

If everyone ripped their CDs into MP3s at the start of this thread/issue, they'd have weeks or months of musical enjoyment vs. bitter resentment.

That's my 2 cents.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DocNo is offline Old Post 12-27-2003 12:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DocNo Find more posts by DocNo Add DocNo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DocNo

Arrow

quote:
Originally posted by adamek
Does anyone know of a good way to send audio from the audio out port of a Mac to a stereo in another room about 40 feet away?

Something like this:

http://www.usr.com/products/device/...asp?sku=USR6003

?? There are lots like this out there - a quick search on Google should reveal more.

For the ultimate in listening to your digital music on your stereo, check out:

http://www.slimdevices.com

The server for the Mac (and windows too, I think) will dynamically convert AAC to MP3 to stream to the player (it does other formats too). I've been watching this player for over two years (this is version 2 - with the wireless support and digital optical out) and been trying to decide how to justify getting one for my living room

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daverx7 is offline Old Post 01-03-2004 09:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daverx7 Find more posts by daverx7 Add daverx7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daverx7

I have no bitter resentment here... just bitter at having to do all that work again. My initial main point that I was trying to make is that if there was AAC support, I would have been willing to pay a premium for another Tivo Series 2 and a second iPod as all my music was ripped in AAC.

Since I already have another Series 1 and now that I have taken the time to re-rip everything to MP3, there is no longer an incentive to "upgrade" to a second Series 2 and a second iPod as as there are many more economic solutions.

I'll be the first one to say that I don't know how difficult it is to add AAC support. If the problem is just on the legal side of protected AAC's, then I would have been okay with just non-protected AAC support as all I have is ripped from my CDs.. Well... maybe one or two songs that was just purchased from iTunes. No showstoppers there...

Thanks,

-Dave

Last edited by daverx7 on 01-03-2004 at 09:24 AM

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pin87a is offline Old Post 01-04-2004 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pin87a Find more posts by pin87a Add pin87a to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pin87a

quote:
Originally posted by dth21
And this is what TiVo said in late May:

"We are working with Apple on a solution to support the AAC file format while also honoring the rights of copyright holders," a TiVo spokesperson told MacMinute.

http://www.macminute.com/2003/05/28/tivo

Not a peep since.

Apple hasn't given anyone the ability to support the iTunes Music Store AAC files in their hardware.
I doubt TiVo HMO support will come anytime soon.

Outside of the iTunes store AAC usage is very small.
You can just add AAC to the list of "obscure" codecs (ogg, flac, ape, shn, mpc, etc) that HMO will probably never support.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rollout is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rollout Find more posts by rollout Add rollout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rollout
30-second skipper

dBpower AMP Music Converter will convert AAC to MP3 on the WINDOWS Platform. No need to re-rip CDs.

Bill

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tboydsto is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 04:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tboydsto Find more posts by tboydsto Add tboydsto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tboydsto

Well if you watch the latest HMO freebie tryout offer, you will see macs are featured everywhere in the commercial. Personally I find it deceptive to feature mac's in TiVo commercials (even with a shot of iTunes), then state in the small print that AAC is not supported. If you have a mac, you probably have an iPod, hence need AAC.

It is this simple: if TiVo commercials show a mac using iTunes to serve music to a TiVo, then I expect people to ask for AAC support.

TiVo, please support AAC!

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattman is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattman Find more posts by mattman Add mattman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattman
Deep In The Mattcave

I have a Mac, I have an iPod, I don't use AAC. I convert any AAC tunes to MP3's using a utility called ilovemp3 and everything works. The only reason you would *have* to use AAC is if you downloaded music from the iTunes music store. I would like to have TiVo support AAC, but I suspect it is not a priority, and I am completely happy with my current setup. AAC support would be a good thing, but it is by no means a necessity.

Matt

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jwedding is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 06:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jwedding Visit jwedding's homepage! Find more posts by jwedding Add jwedding to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwedding
Support AAC Now!

You buy the whole product line and you don't use AAC or the iTunes music store? I'm baffled to be honest.

I actually reripped my entier collection to AAC when I ran out of room on my iPod (30G worth!) and it got be back abuot 5Gig. That's not small potatoes. AAC support should be available, and should use the simple technology that library sharing already uses. You can share iTMS tunes across the subnet without issues, why can't Tivo handle it? It's stupid.

I spent the $99 on HMO. Without AAC support, I have to admit that I consider it a waste.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tboydsto is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 08:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tboydsto Find more posts by tboydsto Add tboydsto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tboydsto

quote:
Originally posted by mattman
The only reason you would *have* to use AAC is if you downloaded music from the iTunes music store

I have both music purchased at the store and music ripped to CD via AAC. Currently I have over 20 GB of purchased and ripped music all in AAC. I ripped this to AAC before HMO came along. The answer everyone proposes is to convert to MP3, and I agree that is a valid technological answer. I just wish that TiVo would support the HMO advertisement on my TiVo: A bunch of swank people serving tunes to a TiVo with TiVo Desktop using Mac's running iTunes without any hassels.

People who use Macs expect things to work (which is why I switched to Mac), hence TiVo should expect to have people ask for native iTunes support. Mac users don't want to hear about converting their entire library to MP3 using a utility which is not even provided by TiVo. In fact, I am surprised this advertisement has not raised more of a ruckus from Mac folks.

I don't believe this is asking too much: TiVo, please support AAC.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 09:02 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

Maybe I'll send TiVoPony a $20 iTunes Music Store gift certificate. Then he'll have something for which he'll want to have AAC support in HMO.

Anybody know his e-mail address?

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattman is offline Old Post 01-05-2004 09:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattman Find more posts by mattman Add mattman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattman
Deep In The Mattcave

quote:
Originally posted by jwedding
You buy the whole product line and you don't use AAC or the iTunes music store? I'm baffled to be honest.

I can understand your bafflement (is that even a word?) The truth is, I had tons of MP3's before I ever had a TiVo, or there was an iTunes. I would use the ITMS more if it did not have the FairPlay encoding, or if TiVo supported AAC. I generally still buy my music offline because I enjoy having the physical CD. The long and the short of it is that you have the ability to use the TiVo if you do not use AAC. I decided against converting my library to AAC because of time and the above. It may or may not be a better codec, but for now I won't be using it very often.

Matt

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged