TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> CacheCARD is here! <<<

Pages (13): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
spankspank is offline Old Post 12-07-2003 12:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spankspank Find more posts by spankspank Add spankspank to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spankspank

quote:
Originally posted by stevel
Can the Cachecard use cheapo CAS3 memory? I can find 512MB of that for $42, but if I need CAS2, it costs more...

That depends. Will you be overclocking your cachecard?

edit: forgot smiley

Last edited by spankspank on 12-07-2003 at 09:44 PM

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gunrunnerjohn is offline Old Post 12-07-2003 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gunrunnerjohn Find more posts by gunrunnerjohn Add gunrunnerjohn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gunrunnerjohn

quote:
Originally posted by spankspank
That depends. Will you be overclocking your cachecard?

Is it even possible to overclock the cachecard? I got the impression that it was locked to the processor clock...

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jafa is offline Old Post 12-07-2003 11:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jafa Visit jafa's homepage! Find more posts by jafa Add jafa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jafa
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by gunrunnerjohn
Is it even possible to overclock the cachecard? I got the impression that it was locked to the processor clock...

Yeah, you can't run the memory at a higer speed than the processor

CAS timing:

The rated frequency (eg 133MHz) is the maximum frequency that the memory can burst data/be clocked at.

Before data can be burst the column must be selected and that takes time (regardless of frequency) for the RAM to do.

When they say CAS 3 timing that means that it takes 3 cycles @ 133MHz... it should handle CAS 2 timing at lower frequencies.

The cachecard supports both CAS 2 and CAS 3 timing but by default it always puts the RAM in CAS 2 mode because I have yet to find a RAM that didn't support it at the TiVo clock frequency.

BTW - For the PC overclockers out there... step 1 - set the CAS timing to 3 (slowest)... step 2 - try to find the maximum frequency the RAM will run at... step 3 - keeping the highest frequency, see if it will still run after reducing the CAS timing number. You are better off with a higher frequency than a lower CAS number.

Nick

Last edited by jafa on 12-07-2003 at 11:16 PM

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobD is offline Old Post 12-09-2003 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobD Find more posts by RobD Add RobD to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobD

I think I know the answer, but thought I'd ask:

Is the $30 trade-in only good on the TurboNet? I have the original TiVoNet in my Sony.

TiVo #1: Hughes HDVR2, 2x120GB Maxtors (217Hrs), Weaknees w/cooling kit
TiVo #2: Hughes HDVR2, stock 40GB (gets a 160GB for X-mas)
TiVo #3: Sony SVR-2000, 80&160GB Maxtors, 32MB Memory Upgrade, TiVoNET, Lifetime service
SA unit hooked to Cable+DirecTV (RCA430RG receiver) with serial cable.

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gunrunnerjohn is offline Old Post 12-09-2003 02:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gunrunnerjohn Find more posts by gunrunnerjohn Add gunrunnerjohn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gunrunnerjohn

Thanks Nick, that's what I thought, but I'm always willing to learn something if it'll help my performance!

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

9thTee is offline Old Post 12-09-2003 06:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 9thTee Visit 9thTee's homepage! Find more posts by 9thTee Add 9thTee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
9thTee
9th Tee...That's Me!

quote:
Originally posted by RobD
I think I know the answer, but thought I'd ask:

Is the $30 trade-in only good on the TurboNet? I have the original TiVoNet in my Sony.

Sorry, but the trade-in offer is just for the TurboNET and AirNET cards.

Mark
9thTee.com

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Carlton Bale is offline Old Post 12-09-2003 07:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Carlton Bale Visit Carlton Bale's homepage! Find more posts by Carlton Bale Add Carlton Bale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carlton Bale
Unoriginal Username

I've read through the thread and I haven't been able to determine if ECC memory is supported or not. Jafa, can you give a definitive answer?

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jafa is offline Old Post 12-09-2003 09:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jafa Visit jafa's homepage! Find more posts by jafa Add jafa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jafa
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Carlton Bale
I've read through the thread and I haven't been able to determine if ECC memory is supported or not. Jafa, can you give a definitive answer?

Hi,

ECC memory will work fine but the extra ECC bits are not used (ECC memory does not actually do ECC... it is just slightly wider so if the motherboard supports ECC then they can be used for that purpose).

The driver maintains a checksum of every sector so if there are any data errors it will be detected, logged, and re-loaded from the hard drive.

Nick

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gunrunnerjohn is offline Old Post 12-09-2003 09:40 AM
gunrunnerjohn

In other words, if it wasn't clear, ECC is just ignored, but tolerated.

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 12:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

Re: turbonet question

quote:
Originally posted by nichols_eric
I want to purchase a cachecard in the near future. My question is actually in reference to Turbonet. Does anybody know if it is possible to reliably use hardware to convert the ethernet connection into a wireless connection. I have read that DWL-120 is good for this. Has anybody ever tried this?

Feel free to point me to another thread. I did an initial search but didn't find what I was looking for.

My router is far away from my Tivo and I really don't want to run a cable, but I do want to utilize TurboNet.

At the moment I just have my TurboNet card plugged into a powerline network device, and elsewhere in the house have a powerline network device connected to my central ethernet switch. They use the house power wiring to carry the network traffic; works fine for all I use the TurboNet card for (just letting the unit get its updates from TiVo, though I have TiVoWeb installed and occasionally use it).

One day I'll run the official CAT5 cabling for it. But no rush.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #110 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nichols_eric is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nichols_eric Find more posts by nichols_eric Add nichols_eric to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nichols_eric

Re: Re: turbonet question

Thanks for the reply (to my now non-existent post ) Doug.

I wanted to word my question better and do a more exhaustive search.

Here it is:
Can I use a EtherNet to Usb converter and plug a wireless USB adapter into it and have TurboNet work correctly? I don't want to run a cable from my router to TurboNet as it would be a real nuisance to deal with. This is in the CacheCard forum because I want to purchase one and would like to use the advantages that TurboNet has to offer.

My search of the forums show that it may be possible, but I would like a definite response. Thanks.

POST #111 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 01:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Why USB, why not just use a wireless link point?

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #112 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 01:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

Re: Re: Re: turbonet question

quote:
Thanks for the reply (to my now non-existent post ) Doug.

I wanted to word my question better and do a more exhaustive search.

Here it is:
Can I use a EtherNet to Usb converter and plug a wireless USB adapter into it and have TurboNet work correctly? I don't want to run a cable from my router to TurboNet as it would be a real nuisance to deal with. This is in the CacheCard forum because I want to purchase one and would like to use the advantages that TurboNet has to offer.

My search of the forums show that it may be possible, but I would like a definite response. Thanks.

I presume you already have this equipment, which is why you want to do this? Because it's pretty convoluted otherwise.

I'm not sure, but I think the only direction you tend to find Ethernet-to-USB converters is to provide ethernet connectivity via a computer's USB connection, and that relies on there being proper drivers for the USB device.

The example I used would be similar to just having a wireless device with an ethernet connection, but instead of it being wireless uses the power lines for the connectivity within the home. I'd purchased 3 of these powerline bridges some time ago to test for an application at my office, and since they were just laying around collecting dust figured I'd use them at home while I procrastinated about running a real wire.

They work well and are relatively inexpensive and would accomplish what you want.

POST #113 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nichols_eric is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nichols_eric Find more posts by nichols_eric Add nichols_eric to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nichols_eric

Thanks for your replies.

I did some more research and found what I wanted to know in this thread .

Basically, get a WET11 and I should be good to go. sanderton, I assume that is what you were saying (networking nomenclature confuses me sometimes).

POST #114 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 03:02 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Thanks for your replies.

I did some more research and found what I wanted to know in this thread .

Basically, get a WET11 and I should be good to go. sanderton, I assume that is what you were saying (networking nomenclature confuses me sometimes).

Yes, I'm sure that's what he meant.

Are you buying for both ends of the connection? Are you planning other uses for wireless in your home? Because I still think the HomePlug technology would be less expensive and more reliable/faster for you.

Products like:

http://www.netgear.com/products/pro...dID=167&view=hm

They're only about $60-$70 each (http://netgear.links.channelintelli....asp?sSKU=XE102)

POST #115 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gunrunnerjohn is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 03:20 AM
gunrunnerjohn

I wonder if these are really reliable in all cases. I've used the X-10 stuff for years, but it's subject to interference at times from other devices on the powerline. Has anyone actually been running these for some time with good results?

I still prefer wires, they don't seem to have any interference problems in my house.

POST #116 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 03:30 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
I wonder if these are really reliable in all cases. I've used the X-10 stuff for years, but it's subject to interference at times from other devices on the powerline. Has anyone actually been running these for some time with good results?

I still prefer wires, they don't seem to have any interference problems in my house.

I've been running mine since about March/April, and it's quite sufficient for the SAT-T60's daily "call".

We did a pretty lengthy study into the technology when we evaluated them at the office, and while we ultimately chose a solution that lets us use real CAT5 wiring again rather than relying in piggybacking on other signals/power lines, it was more reliable for us than wireless. We generate some nasty interference to wireless signals in our equipment and our equipment isn't stationary, which is mainly why that was the case (variable frequency inverters controlling electric motors).

I also tested it throughout our ~60,000 sq foot offices and surprisingly it functioned just about everywhere when fed from the same power transformer (some of our space is fed off our own transformers connected to 3-phase services and is pretty isolated).

POST #117 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gunrunnerjohn is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 03:45 AM
gunrunnerjohn

Interesting, I'll have to consider that next time the issue comes up. I have generally stayed away from power line stuff due to my X-10 experiences.

POST #118 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 03:49 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Interesting, I'll have to consider that next time the issue comes up. I have generally stayed away from power line stuff due to my X-10 experiences.
Here's what's coming next (well, in "12 - 17 months") from the HomePlug alliance:

http://www.homeplug.org/news/press050503.html

Powerline distribution of multistream A/V, including HDTV.

I also just remembered I'd wanted to take one of these devices to my next door neighbor and see if there's enough signal for it to work from there, since we're fed out of the same transformer.

POST #119 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gunrunnerjohn is offline Old Post 12-10-2003 03:57 AM
gunrunnerjohn

Thanks, good site to bookmark.

POST #120 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged