TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> JavaHMO 1.1 released <<<

Pages (16): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Scarpad is offline Old Post 12-13-2003 09:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Scarpad Find more posts by Scarpad Add Scarpad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scarpad

I just activated my HMO Service and I'm amazed how easy it was to get JavaHMO Up and Running. I can't compare it to Tivo's Offerring since I never installed it, but I like what I See in JavaHMO. I do have some suggestions for Future Addons.

First I have my music folder Configured Like this:

I:\Music\Artist\Album\Song.mp3

I'd like to Have a "Play my Library" option that would randomly shuffle songs within different folders.

Second I'd like to see a way to build Playlists on the fly. So if I'm having a party and my guest are browsing they could add a song they pick to a building playlist, perhaps even have the ability to play their song next and have the other songs in the list continue after.

Lastly built in support for a screen save or visualizations. I worry about burn in on my HDTV set with static images. Maybe even slideshows from the My Pictures option could be displayed..

JavaHMO is a really nice program and I look forward to seeing where it goes..

Dave

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-14-2003 02:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

I recommend that you play with the Shuffle option on the server page of the configuration GUI.

I'll file a feature request for building playlists on the fly.

TiVo does have a screensaver which will dim the screen after some period. TiVo does not support visualizations.

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CGreen is offline Old Post 12-14-2003 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CGreen Find more posts by CGreen Add CGreen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CGreen

How far off is Transcoding? A lot of my collection is WMA, and I use the DLL another member here wrote to transcodde WMA through Tvio Desktop 1.0 to play them. I would love to switch to JavaHMO for the functionality, but I woul dmiss my WMA support. Thoughts?

Chris Green

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-14-2003 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

There is currently an open feature request for adding transcoding support to JavaHMO. One of the developers is currently investigating the possibility of doing AAC transcoding. Nobody has taken up supporting WMA yet.

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bma is offline Old Post 12-14-2003 08:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bma Visit bma's homepage! Find more posts by bma Add bma to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bma

Another issue I am having (which may not be JavaHMO's fault) is that when playing an mp3 the info is wrong. It has:

Song: Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Artist: 14_dream_child_(a_christmas_dream)
Album: The Christmas Attic

but id3v2 -l gives:
id3v1 tag info for 14_dream_child_(a_christmas_dream).mp3:
Title : Dream Child (A Christmas Dream Artist: Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Album : The Christmas Attic Year: 1998, Genre: Classical (32)
Comment: Track: 14

TiVo's fault, or JavaHMO's, or mine?

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-14-2003 09:16 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

A bug has been filed against JavaHMO earlier about this issue.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CGreen is offline Old Post 12-14-2003 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CGreen Find more posts by CGreen Add CGreen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CGreen

quote:
Originally posted by javahmo
There is currently an open feature request for adding transcoding support to JavaHMO. One of the developers is currently investigating the possibility of doing AAC transcoding. Nobody has taken up supporting WMA yet.

It might be worth seeing if PZAND will share the code form his plugin. I imagine once you write the transcoding engine it will be quite simple to add in a new codec. I think you'll find far more WMA out there than AAC, expecially unprotected files.

Chris Green

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbarrera is offline Old Post 12-14-2003 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bbarrera Find more posts by bbarrera Add bbarrera to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bbarrera

Many thanks to javahmo and the rest of the team. This release works great on Linux -- both with X and without (headless). I've verified headless operation on both a Gentoo server (old 400MHz laptop) and a Debian server (another old 400MHz laptop).

Regarding Debian question -- have you integrated Sun's JDK with Debian according to the instructions (link below)? I did that and then installed javaHMO using "alien -i javaHMO-1.1-3.i386.rpm"
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/d...ch11.html#s11.2

Last edited by bbarrera on 12-15-2003 at 12:48 AM

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbarrera is offline Old Post 12-15-2003 12:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bbarrera Find more posts by bbarrera Add bbarrera to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bbarrera

A couple of notes about JavaHMO performance on Linux:

1. A 2.4 kernel patched for performance delivers more responsiveness and interactivity on servers running on old hardware. For example, browsing JavaHMO menus on my Tivo with Debian (3.0-r1-stable) server is sluggish compared to Gentoo (gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6) server. The Gentoo server is using Gentoo sources kernel, which is heavily patched to increase interactive desktop responsiveness. For example, when I browse to Music and Photos it takes a couple of seconds for Debian server to appear while Gentoo server pops up immediately. Same is true when navigating menus like Shoutcast, Internet and Weather. My two laptop servers running Debian and Gentoo are identical (Dell Latitude CPiR 400MHz) except the Debian server has 192MB RAM and the Gentoo server has 64MB RAM.

2. Java performance under Linux is *much* better with kernels that support Native Posix Threading Library (NPTL). The 2.6 series kernel has NPTL, as does RedHat 9. I'm running RH9 on a 1GHz Dell Inspiron 4100 notebook, and haven't done an apples-apples comparison like on point 1 above. However there is a white paper on Sun's website about Java performance increases with NPTL.

Summary: If you have an old Linux server and want better performance from JavaHMO then either run RH9, a 2.6 series kernel (-test9 is quite stable for me), or a performance patched kernel like Gentoo.

Last edited by bbarrera on 12-15-2003 at 01:01 AM

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-15-2003 01:31 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

Thanks for the valuable Linux info. I will add them to the project FAQs.

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbarrera is offline Old Post 12-15-2003 04:24 AM
bbarrera

A few more notes on Java & Linux. My earlier comments about Gentoo and 64MB were wrong (those comments based on 192MB). I definitely have performance issues with Debian (kernel 2.2.20) and 192MB RAM and sincerely believe a 2.4.20 or 2.6.0-test9 kernel will help (I'm compiling 2.6.0-test9 right now).

Linux Server:
Dell CPi-R 400MHz Mobile PentiumII
Gentoo Linux (2.4.20-gentoo-r6 kernel)
XFree86 4.3.0
Fluxbox window manager (lightweight)
500MB swap

With 64MB RAM I get:
- sluggish menus under TiVo's "Music & Photos" menu
- some jpeg won't render (e.g. Weather maps)
- Occasional errors, here are three below:
2003-12-14 13:33:34,653 ERROR [PoolThread-4] TiVoConnectServlet - java.io.IOException: reading encoded JPEG Stream
2003-12-14 13:33:39,780 ERROR [PoolThread-1] TiVoConnectServlet - java.io.IOException: reading encoded JPEG Stream
2003-12-14 13:50:23,549 ERROR [PoolThread-7] TiVoConnectServlet - java.io.IOException: reading encoded JPEG Stream

I'm guessing Java and/or JavaHMO needs some tuning when running in such a low memory environment. I didn't try kill X Server and assume that would help with memory.

With 192MB RAM I get:
- very interactive performance under TiVo's "Music & Photos" menu
- no problems with jpegs (quick on-the-fly rendering)

Any hints about optimizing Java and/or JavaHMO for use on a low memory server would be helpful.

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-15-2003 04:37 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO has been optimized to reduce its memory requirements. However, on such a low memory server it is expected to have issues. You can play with the memory allocation by editing the conf/wrapper.conf text file:
# Initial Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.initmemory=32

# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.maxmemory=64

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bbarrera is offline Old Post 12-15-2003 05:10 AM
bbarrera

Thanks for the feedback. I just ran one more set of tests. No errors with 64MB and no X (headless operation), but performance is terrible using default Java memory settings. For now I'll just use 192MB RAM for my JavaHMO server.

Here are the consolidated results:

Linux Server:
Dell CPi-R 400MHz Mobile PentiumII
Gentoo Linux (2.4.20-gentoo-r6 kernel)
XFree86 4.3.0
500MB swap

With 64MB RAM and X running:
- sluggish menus under TiVo's "Music & Photos" menu
- some jpeg won't render (e.g. Weather maps)
- Occasional errors, here are three below:
2003-12-14 13:33:34,653 ERROR [PoolThread-4] TiVoConnectServlet - java.io.IOException: reading encoded JPEG Stream
2003-12-14 13:33:39,780 ERROR [PoolThread-1] TiVoConnectServlet - java.io.IOException: reading encoded JPEG Stream
2003-12-14 13:50:23,549 ERROR [PoolThread-7] TiVoConnectServlet - java.io.IOException: reading encoded JPEG Stream

With 64MB RAM and headless operation (no X running):
- menu performance is acceptable under TiVo's "Music & Photos" menu
- jpeg rendering performance unacceptable (e.g. changing date for a Cinema takes about 15 seconds)
- no errors /var/log/javaHMO.log

With 192MB RAM:
- very interactive performance under TiVo's "Music & Photos" menu
- no problems with jpegs (quick on-the-fly rendering)

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

icatar is offline Old Post 12-15-2003 07:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for icatar Visit icatar's homepage! Find more posts by icatar Add icatar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icatar

quote:
Originally posted by CGreen
How far off is Transcoding? A lot of my collection is WMA, and I use the DLL another member here wrote to transcodde WMA through Tvio Desktop 1.0 to play them. I would love to switch to JavaHMO for the functionality, but I woul dmiss my WMA support. Thoughts?

Chris Green

I have two PCs. One I run JavaHMO and the other I run Tivo Desktop with the WMA plug-ins. It's been working great and I have the best of both worlds!

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ShadowImg is offline Old Post 12-15-2003 11:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowImg Find more posts by ShadowImg Add ShadowImg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShadowImg

Maybe I missed something -- but is there any way to play shoutcast streams that aren't in the shoutcast YP?

Perhaps a manual config file that can be made to add them to the list?

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-15-2003 08:55 PM
javahmo
Advanced Member

JavaHMO supports both m3u and pls playlist formats. You can create your own playlists with the URLs of of your favorite streams and then add them to JavaHMO by using the Playlists module in the configuration menu. You can also place these playlists files in your audio directories alongside your MP3 files and JavaHMO will display those automatically.

Unfortunately, TiVo has some restrictions on the format of the URLs:
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/docu....html#playlists

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 12-16-2003 12:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

Just installed it, really cool! Does anyone know any other image sites that i could use besides the one in russia?

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 12-16-2003 12:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

Also, one other question, can you hook up a webcam and set it up to view on the tivo

"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 12-16-2003 01:11 AM
javahmo
Advanced Member

If your webcam saves captured images as files, those could be viewed like normal images.

Java does provide a Java Media Framework which could be added to JavaHMO in the future to directly obtain images from any camera connected to the machine.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 12-16-2003 01:32 AM
futerfas
Advanced Member

I'm having another problem. After I resatrted my computer and went to http://localhost:8081/configure it gave me the "the page can not be displayed" message. I looked in the logs and these error messages at the end:
2003-12-15 14:27:00,494 ERROR [main] Configurator - org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The reference to entity "B" must end with the ';' delimiter.
2003-12-15 14:27:00,504 INFO [main] Server - Trying Port 8081
2003-12-15 14:27:00,744 ERROR [main] Server - Address already in use: Cannot bind
Any help?

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged