TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> CacheCARD - Losing live tv sound <<<

Pages (7): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sanderton is offline Old Post 01-06-2004 05:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

quote:
Originally posted by jswift909
So is memory usage a factor ?

I have just about every hack under the sun loaded on mine, which must eat a load of memory, and the 512Mb module works fine.

I think jafa has pointed the finger at power supplies.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cachecard_user is offline Old Post 01-06-2004 05:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cachecard_user Find more posts by cachecard_user Add cachecard_user to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cachecard_user

kitchchamp:

you have 2 problems.

1: you partition size is reported as 0mb
2: after 2 failed attempts to read the cache, caching should shut down.

It looks like you aren't using the latest drivers. Download the latest driver pacakage, and then, please look at the driver released new years day, it should fix the 0MB partition problem you have.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 01-06-2004 06:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

I wasn't aware a new driver had been released on New Year's Day. The last update I was aware of was on 28th December.

I'll try again tonight/tomorrow/when brave.

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitschcamp is offline Old Post 01-06-2004 06:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitschcamp Visit kitschcamp's homepage! Find more posts by kitschcamp Add kitschcamp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

OK, just downloaded the driver again from the main thread, and it's dated 30th December - where is the New Year one found?

Using with Sky, SkyEye T-Link, Kameleon, Samsung 160Gb + Western Digital 120Gb, CacheCard with 512MB of memory, tweaked recording settings, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods and TivoWebLogos Source. Fixed ui.itcl module for new genres here and Mary Christmas

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lakee911 is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 08:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lakee911 Visit Lakee911's homepage! Find more posts by Lakee911 Add Lakee911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lakee911

Loss of Audio

Hey all, right now I'm running 3.0 w/o any hacks except for a larger hard drive which was installed. I do not have a cache card. I repeat: no cache card. Occasionally I lose the audio on my LiveTV. When I was using RF, it would lose Audio AND video, now the picture comes clear (over SVideo) and no audio (via L/R RCA). I'm thinking that its related to bad sectors on the hard drive. It goes away for a while with reboot. This kind of makes sense, because if you are caching a portion of the hard drive in your cache card, and somewhere somehow you get an error in it, then it would be equivalent to a bad sector. Something you all probably knew.

Jason

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lrowland is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 08:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lrowland Find more posts by lrowland Add lrowland to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lrowland

Jason,
I don't think the losing sound with the Cachecard is related to bad sectors. I did a complete scan on both my 120GB Seagates and they both came back perfect.

It sounds like the problem is defintely with the power supplies.

Nick,
Do you have any recommendation for those having this problem or are you still working on the issue. I'm not trying to nag, I am just wondering if there is something we can try like getting a new/better supply?

Thanks!
Larry

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jswift909 is offline Old Post 01-07-2004 09:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jswift909 Find more posts by jswift909 Add jswift909 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jswift909

Who will be the first to put up a nice picture of the PSU on a UK SA and a red circle around, and an arror pointing to the offending pot. Also, I have a digital multimeter - not a £300 one, but a £10 one. Is this accurate enough to accurately take the voltage to 5.10? How do I measure it - with disk drive connected or without, and where do I put the +/- probes to take the measurement.

If you can't take a photo perhaps you can describe it - I've just bought a Canon A70 so at the moment I'm taking pictures of anything and everything !

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gardavis is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gardavis Visit gardavis's homepage! Find more posts by gardavis Add gardavis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gardavis

quote:
Originally posted by lrowland
It sounds like the problem is defintely with the power supplies.

I think the problem is not related to the power supplies. Too many people are having the same problem - they can't all be bad/poor PS's. Also, sound does work for recorded shows.

I am connected by the composit connectors so I only lose live sound, not video. Those connected via RF/Cable seem to lose both.

Also, 128MB seems to solve the problem. 256MB seems to sometimes solve the problem and 512MB seems to usually produce the problem.

Sometimes, loss of sound can be brought back by flipping channels, but not always.

Just my 2 cents:^)

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

eldorin is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 04:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for eldorin Find more posts by eldorin Add eldorin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eldorin

256Mb does not solve it. I still have no live sound with a 256Mb dimm. I have not tried a 128mb yet...

John Fulton
Anchorage, AK

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markboy08 is offline Old Post 01-08-2004 08:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for markboy08 Find more posts by markboy08 Add markboy08 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markboy08

quote:
Originally posted by jafa
Interesting!

As the power supply gets older it becomes more noisy (actually less able to filter against the noise from the tivo). I have seen several reports of TiVos having these symptoms even without modification.

The rail that matters is the 3.3V rail but I think it is regulated from the 5V rail. Lowering the 5V rail a little will make the job of the 3.3V regulator easier which could be why you are seeing lowering the voltage fixing the problem.

I ran a whole series of tests yesterday with my super-Tivo (it has an ATX power supply) and the noise added by the cachecard is identifiable by the frequency but did not increase the total p-p noise on the rails (measured on the cachecard close to the memory where is should be worst).

I suspect that the stock TiVo power supply (espically as it gets older) will not perform as well as my ATX power supply - I will locate one and run my same measurements tonight.

I have two ideas of how to fix the problem.

Nick

Nick, you mentioned last week you were working on the problem and had 2 ideas on how to fix it. Can you give us an idea of what you now think the problem is and if/how it can be fixed, particularly whether it will require hardware replacement? The (albeit unscientific) cachecard poll indicates a significant number (almost 30%) of 512MB installations have the sound/video loss problem, so I'm anxiously awaiting to see how this shakes out to decide whether to install or return my card.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoBJ is offline Old Post 01-09-2004 01:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoBJ Find more posts by TivoBJ Add TivoBJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoBJ

quote:
Originally posted by gardavis
I think the problem is not related to the power supplies. Too many people are having the same problem - they can't all be bad/poor PS's. Also, sound does work for recorded shows.

I don't have a cache card, but I am closely watching this thread. I have a Tivo that suddenly decided to lose sound and RF tuning, but which plays back sound perfectly. and records video fine (w/o sound) through the composite or S-video inputs. I think those are the same symptoms seen here. I'm planning to play with the power supply to see if I can resurrect it. I may try improving filtration, replacing the PS, swapping the PS with a working Tivo or using an alternative regulated supply for the various voltages. I've been hoping someone here would try all those things before I do and report.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jswift909 is offline Old Post 01-09-2004 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jswift909 Find more posts by jswift909 Add jswift909 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jswift909

Loosing audio is a known Tivo problem - AFAIK. It's happened to me about three times in six months - so if we're talking about the same problem it's pretty rare in my experience. Nothing seems to fix it except a total power off and on. Agreed people do appear to have this problem much more often with the CacheCard, but if you don't have a CacheCard, and it's rare, then it's easily fixed.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jswift909 is offline Old Post 01-09-2004 02:37 AM
jswift909

Loosing audio is a known Tivo problem - AFAIK. It's happened to me about three times in six months - so if we're talking about the same problem it's pretty rare in my experience. Nothing seems to fix it except a total power off and on. Agreed people do appear to have this problem much more often with the CacheCard, but if you don't have a CacheCard, and it's rare, then it's easily fixed.

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markboy08 is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 05:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markboy08 Find more posts by markboy08 Add markboy08 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markboy08

quote:
Originally posted by markboy08
Nick, you mentioned last week you were working on the problem and had 2 ideas on how to fix it. Can you give us an idea of what you now think the problem is and if/how it can be fixed, particularly whether it will require hardware replacement? The (albeit unscientific) cachecard poll indicates a significant number (almost 30%) of 512MB installations have the sound/video loss problem, so I'm anxiously awaiting to see how this shakes out to decide whether to install or return my card.

Any news jafa?

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoBJ is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoBJ Find more posts by TivoBJ Add TivoBJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoBJ

quote:
Originally posted by jswift909

Nothing has brought mine back. I've powered off many times. Sound and RF tuning are simply dead, except I get sound on old playbacks.

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

danp2000 is offline Old Post 01-10-2004 09:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for danp2000 Visit danp2000's homepage! Find more posts by danp2000 Add danp2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danp2000

If you think a new PS will fix your problem WeaKnees.com has some in stock.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo_parts_bin.php

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gdict is offline Old Post 01-11-2004 03:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gdict Visit gdict's homepage! Find more posts by gdict Add gdict to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gdict

new power supply

fwiw, 9thtee sells the same power supply for $25 instead of $39.

I'm holding off to see what Nicks says though. If the power supply is simply to weak to run two drives and a cachecard with 512mb, then what good is it to replace it with the same weak power supply. Granted it will be newer and possibly celaner and more efficient, but if it doesn't bring the sound back, it's $30 wasted.

Greg

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 01-11-2004 04:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

FWIW, you can get the same SA power supply for $4.50 ($3.50 each if you buy 48 or more) from this web site; as discussed in this thread.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gdict is offline Old Post 01-11-2004 04:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gdict Visit gdict's homepage! Find more posts by gdict Add gdict to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gdict

cheap!

Cool! I don't mind wasting $10 on a potential fix. Thanks for the tip.

Greg

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wookie is offline Old Post 01-11-2004 07:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wookie Visit wookie's homepage! Find more posts by wookie Add wookie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wookie

more series 1 SA w/ sound/video problem

I posted some of this info in another thread, but this looks like a better thread to post in:

Phillips 212 w/ 2 Maxtor 80GB drives
Cache Card tried w/ 2 different memory configs:
1) 512MB 64x64 PC133 - works for a short while (~1 hr), then
I get the sound/video problems mentioned with live TV
(no problems playing previously recorded shows)

2) 128MB Micron PC100 - worked fine for at least 7 hours.
after catching some sleep and running a few hours, this
mem config also results in lost sound/video on live TV
but previously recorded shows work fine.

Did some temperature measurements on the 128MB setup:

System reports 35-37 C over entire period (cover has been off)
IBM Mpeg chip runs at about 64 C
Tivo runs at about 38-40 C
PPC runs at about 40-43 C
back side (ie opposite of where the chips are) of mem module runs
at about 40 C, and remains pretty constant, even after video failure
(no data on temperature at or near video failure though).

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged