TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO - overpriced / paying twice ?! <<<
HMO pricing - what do you think is best ?
This poll is closed.
Current pricing - $99 + $49 each additional + $13/month EVERY unit 15 11.45%
$59 + $0 each additional + $13/month EVERY unit 27 20.61%
$59 + $49 each additional + $13/month on 1st unit only 89 67.94%
Total: 131 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (3): « Prev 1 [2] 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ukaussi is offline Old Post 01-19-2004 11:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ukaussi Visit ukaussi's homepage! Find more posts by ukaussi Add ukaussi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ukaussi
TiVoholic

Some interesting additional points:-

I live in a new community where all the houses are "wired". Every room except the bathrooms and laundry room has at least one wall jack with ethernet, 2 phone and 1 coax. Most rooms have 2 coax. All this wiring goes back to a central box in one of the closets.
Beside the obvious benefits of home networking it also gave me the ability to feed the output of the 2nd TiVo to 3 other rooms. Just need to get a couple of cheap IR repeaters and it gives me TiVo in the whole house.[br]
(any suggestions on cheap IR repeaters that work well ?)
[br]

I also agree about the additional costs on top of the $150 for 2 HMO equipped TiVo's. When I got the 2nd unit she asked why I bought it and I said it only cost $216-$50 rebate (40hr from amazon.com) but then I got a USB network adapter and she asked why I was buying more stuff :-s

If it was just $150 it would be ALMOST paleatable (not for me though) but you do have to also subscribe to Tivo on each unit.

My tech savy brother was over at the weekend and I showed him the Tivo and how it work and he thought it was amazing. He figured that the market hadn't penetrated as much as you would think because of peoples misunderstanding of what it can do. They needed to be shown how it works.
I then told him you also have to pay $13/month to get full functionality and his face dropped "that also explains why people don't buy it" he said

I beleive TiVo are/should be monitoring these boards as it is FREE MARKET RESEARCH. Although I don't use it in my current job, I have a Marketing degree and used to be in product planning for Vauxhall/Opel in europe. This type of forum would have been amazing for us at that time as it gives you free feedback.
I also occasionally take part in market research locally and get paid $75-$100 per session with probably nowhere near as much info coming out of the focus group as you see here.
VW monitors VWVortex.com forums and that resulted in some recent special edition models which increased sales dramatically on those models (GTI 337, 20th ann GTI & now Jetta)

Finally, I am surprised Microsoft hasn't jumped on this yet. It could many ways although I think the last one will be what happens;
- Microsoft brings out there own PVR and probably takes a fatal chunk from TiVo if marketed correctly.
- TiVo gets purchased by Microsoft
- TiVo gets hammered by the introduction of DVR equipped cable boxes (most likely)

TiVo needs to get as much functionality into the boxes as possible and get people to buy them NOW before the cable companies bring out their PVR equipped boxes. I almost returned my 2nd TiVo unit when I discovered the Cable DVR's were coming out in my area April but figured I would keep it for now.

Last edited by ukaussi on 01-19-2004 at 11:55 PM

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ukaussi is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 09:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ukaussi Visit ukaussi's homepage! Find more posts by ukaussi Add ukaussi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ukaussi
TiVoholic

I switched my 2 TiVo's around this weekend so that the higher use 80GB is now in the Media room (which I watch on a PJ) and the 40GB is on the Bedroom (wife watches). What I had forgotten was that I had recorded a bunch of stuff on the 40GB and my wife had 2 shows on the 80GB.

So, I purchased HMO on the 40GB and connected every hour for 3 hours to get the HMO activated on the TiVo until I gave up at 9pm. The next morning it eventually showed up on the TiVo. Long story short...to transfer files from one TiVo to another is very slow, even on a 100MB network using switches which I have.

So, for me even the sharing is not worth much.

My personal opinion is that HMO should be included on the TiVo when youbuy it, with the Remote scheduling only available if you pay the $12/month for premium.

I very reliable source I spoke with over the weekend also told me that the updated units (Series 3 ?) that ship around July WILL include HMO and that TiVo is currently figuring out how to deal with/pacify those that spend $99 +.
Currently, they are milking the "innovators" that really want the service now.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newyorkpug is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 11:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newyorkpug Visit newyorkpug's homepage! Find more posts by newyorkpug Add newyorkpug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newyorkpug

Question Home Media Option Question

I actually have a question about the Home Media Option.

If you have TWO Series 2 TiVo's and you are only paying for service on one of them... but you have purchased HMO on BOTH of the units... can you use the other TiVo as a "terminal" TiVo just to view the recorded shows off of the one that does have the service?

If that is the case... then I think Home Media Option would be well worth it. I really don't see why somebody would purchase service for two TiVos if they can effectively do this. It would be a great way to set them up too!

If this is NOT the case, I think TiVo should seriously consider this as an option for those of us who have small families and just want an additional TiVo for the bedroom. I really don't need to have the second TiVo record at all.

-Josh

Home Media Option
Cable Modem
Wireless 802.11g Network
Apple AirPort Extreme Router
Sanction Studios - Declare Your Sound!

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ukaussi is offline Old Post 01-26-2004 11:07 PM
ukaussi
TiVoholic

quote:
If you have TWO Series 2 TiVo's and you are only paying for service on one of them... but you have purchased HMO on BOTH of the units... can you use the other TiVo as a "terminal" TiVo just to view the recorded shows off of the one that does have the service?

No

You HAVE TO purchase $12.95/month service to then be able to purchase HMO.

Like most products, be it Electronics or Cars/Trucks etc, the manufacturer will always try and reap as much as they can from those that MUST have it (early adopters/innovators), then reduce the price so that those who were on the fence buy it. Eventually it will be free as the manufacturer needs to maintain market share as competitors also get the same product/features and the product life cycle starts to peak.

TiVo is in a situation where there product doesn't have a lot of penetration when compared to DVD's or VCR's, and there are a lot of current and future alternatives out there so it would appear to be a mixed market.

My thoughts are that they should get as many TiVo's out there as they can, as cheaply as they can, and then sit back and collect the subscriptions for various options.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PAPD is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PAPD Find more posts by PAPD Add PAPD to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PAPD

>>... reap as much as they can from those that MUST have it (early adopters/innovators), then reduce the price so that those who were on the fence buy it. Eventually it will be free as the manufacturer needs to maintain market share as competitors also get the same product/features and the product life cycle starts to peak.<<

The product curve is moving on, and Tivo is stationary. Consumer technology is price sensitive first and foremost, followed by ease of use, support and then -- in distant fourth -- features. Tivo, by offering up a melange of new features without addressing the core issue of price, is dooming itself to stay forever on the left of the bell curve, servicing only a dwindling number of early adopters. I was one for a while, but I'm more than ready to move on and become mainstream. I'm starting to feel like a sucker with all the monthly fees (for what really -- scheduling and an enhanced TV guide?) in addition to HMO fees, and costs for this, that and the other on the horizon. (C'mon, they are going to make me PAY to extract video on my own machine in my own house for my own use? When pigs fly....)

The world shook for me recently, when the guy who turned me on to Tivo two years ago with all the evangelical zeal that we know and love pitched his box out the window in favor of building a Microsoft PC Media Edition server and nodes throughout the house. It was cheaper, more flexible and easier to integrate, and used equipment he already had. The writing's on the wall and Tivo would do well to heed it.

BTW, in reference to the theme this thread started out with: It's Marketing 101 that it's more cost effective to sell to current customers than to find new ones. Thus, if you treat current customers like new ones, by charging high price for greater deployment in the house, it's a formula for mass defection. I'd love to get a second Tivo, just to watch, not record -- but the price point is prohibitive. Comcast only charges me $5.00 a month for an additional digital set-top box. Seems to be an effective model. Imagine if I had to pay 100% of the subscription price to watch HBO in another room. That's exactly what Tivo is doing.

(Post edit: stumbled on this link today. http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5164465.html?tag=st_pop . Tivo had better start innovating fast and cheap or it will be the betamax of DVRs. )

Last edited by PAPD on 02-26-2004 at 10:48 PM

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

granoff is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for granoff Visit granoff's homepage! Find more posts by granoff Add granoff to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
granoff

It would be hard for TiVo to sell (internally) the notion of a master/slave relationship for multi-TiVo households, but I think it would be snapped up if they did it.

The idea is that with multiple TiVo's, one is designated the master and has some kind of subscription. It makes the daily "call". Other TiVo's can have "master"-type subscriptions if the owner chooses, but can also be designated as "slaves" of the master. This means that the slaves get their Guide data from the master only.

I wonder what the model would look like for increased hardware sales under this pricing structure?

I wonder what you'd have to pay to make a TiVo a slave? That is to say, it'd probably be fair for TiVo to require some kind of one-time "connection" fee for slave devices, but nothing more than $50 or $100.

And so, as a slave, you could then add HMO and for a pretty reasonable amount of money ($300 TiVo + $49 HMO + $49 Slave subscription) you get another TiVo.

There are lots of "opportunities" around these ideas, IMO. If only TiVo would consider them...

-Mark

100Mbit Wired Ethernet w/ Netgear USB 2.0 FA-120 Adapters
Waiting for PC-to-TiVo video capability and true web-based access...

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ukaussi is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 03:41 AM
ukaussi
TiVoholic

I think that they really need to start giving stuff for free to eisting subscribers otherwise they will lose customers.

The biggest attraction for me on TiVo is its ease of use but if they start charging extra for everything then I will cancel my subscriptions and go get an extra PC with Media Edition on it and figure out a way to get it to work with the TiVo's. That way I get a new PC and a TiVo in one unit.

I personally also think the TiVo units themselves are still overpriced and until they come down to a more realistic level the market penetration will not increase significantly.
I believe that you might find the same situation when you look at the prices of DVD players in relation to household penetration. I am a techie but didn't buy a DVD player until they were below $150 which was coincidently just a few months before Blockbuster really started to switch over to DVD's

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gypsydavew33 is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 04:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gypsydavew33 Find more posts by gypsydavew33 Add gypsydavew33 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gypsydavew33

New owner

Just bought a combo DVD/tivo unit over the weekend, and here are some thoughts from a new user.

Tivo doesn't only want to double dip, they want to triple dip.

I pay for the content coming into my house already (DishTV). Tivo has a fancier program guide, with a couple of neat recording options.

Tivo wants me to pay for a fancier "plus" service, which right now doesn't look to be worth $13 a month.

On top of that, Tivo wants to sell info they collect from my viewing habits.

Then they want to charge me one more time to stream media I've already paid for once to another room? Sorry, I already have a leapfrog xmitter/receiver that will do that, and at half the price with no monthly fee!

What really galls me, though, is that they want to charge me to stream media from MY computer to MY TV! I could almost, almost justify the cost of the program to do that, if it wasn't Windows only and I hadn't already replicated it using icecast. But to charge a monthly fee so that I can stream media Tivo had nothing to do with me acquiring, and has nothing to do with my home entertainment center other than the fact that that's where the ethernet connection is hanging? RIDICULOUS.

That's the opinion of this new user.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 05:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Re: New owner

quote:
Originally posted by gypsydavew33
I could almost, almost justify the cost of the program to do that, if it wasn't Windows only...

Perhaps you didn't know that there is also a Mac OS X version of TiVo Desktop (unless you're looking for a LINUX version of TiVo Desktop). The software can be found at http://www.tivo.com/desktop

Alternatively, there is JavaHMO which is available for both Windows and Mac OS X.

By the way, the purchase price for HMO (note that the operative word in HMO is "option") is a one-time fee. It is not a monthly fee. Also, you don't have to pay a monthly fee to TiVo if you choose to purchase service for the product's lifetime.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gypsydavew33 is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 06:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gypsydavew33 Find more posts by gypsydavew33 Add gypsydavew33 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gypsydavew33

It would, indeed, be a Linux version I'd be looking for. But from some of the comments I've seen in this forum, I think I'm better off with my homebrewed python scripts & icecast setup for streaming audio.

Thanks for the info, though.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gypsydavew33 is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 06:20 AM
gypsydavew33

Oh, and I'd love to hear more about that watertower!!!

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 02-25-2004 08:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by gypsydavew33
Oh, and I'd love to hear more about that watertower!!!
The wireless information from by ISP can be found here -- there's also a coverage map if you live in the area of NW Chicago.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ycrazyy is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ycrazyy Find more posts by ycrazyy Add ycrazyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ycrazyy
Big Perm

Just to add yet a bit more to this thread...

I am an avid TiVo fan and have been for quite a few years now. I bought my first TiVo S1 unit a few years ago and have since bought quite a few more. Out of 4 stand-alone units, only 2 of those are S2 units and neither are equipped with HMO. The reason? The cost... I cannot bear to shell out yet another $150 on top of the ridiculous amount I have already spent on hardware, lifetime subscriptions (3 of the units), and the montly sub, it just gets to be too much. I would like nothing more than to have HMO on my two S2 units if for nothing else the show-sharing ability.

However I have recently switched to DirecTV and I know for a fact that I will not be buying anymore stand-alone units ever again. DirecTV is the only way that TiVo will survive with the current pricing. I can get a 35hr box (that actually records 35 hours at best quality), has dolby digital, 2 tuners, for $99! Not only that, I only have to pay $5/mo for up to eight of these in my house! (not $5 x 8, just $5 for 8). With TiVo stand-alone units costing $13/mo it seems ridiculous. Why does DirecTV offer this great pricing (for a service that TiVo is still involved in) when TiVo just keeps putting their hands in your pocket and taking your money.

I feel that the only worthwhile option for TiVo users is to get a DirecTV/TiVo combo box. I would sell my stand-alone units except for the fact that they do have lifetime subscriptions which for me are not worth giving up (and the possibility of subscribing to HMO, which is not available on DirecTV boxes).

The bottom line: TiVo, WAKE UP! You are going to start losing customers no matter how good your product is unless you change your pricing!

Sorry for the rant folks, guess it's been building up.

SA Series2 150hrs w/HMO
Hughes HDVR2(3) 80hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO
Samsung SIR-4040R 141hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CrispyCritter is offline Old Post 02-29-2004 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CrispyCritter Find more posts by CrispyCritter Add CrispyCritter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

I find it absolutely amazing how many arguments in this thread I completely agree with....until I reach the conclusion.

Yes, it's all about price. In order to survive, and maybe some day even make a profit (it never has), TiVo has to get as many TiVo's out there as fast as it can. That's a given. And that's precisely what TiVo has been trying to do throughout. It's been selling TiVo's at or below its cost for years. On top of that, it's been offering rebates constantly; those rebates come out of the subscription prices since it loses money on the hardware. TiVo's been reducing prices on hardware as fast as it can. It hasn't been able to advertise for years since the budget has gone to reducing prices. (They finally just floated a new stock offering in order to raise money for a bit of advertising.)

What does this mean for HMO? Well, HMO has to pay its own way; TiVo can't afford to subsidize it. This means high prices for HMO. Doesn't this mean TiVo loses out on some HMO sales? Absolutely. But maximizing HMO sales (by lowering prices) will do little for TiVo's survival goal: getting as many new customers as possible. TiVo has to instead keep new TiVo prices as low as possible. Until TiVo shows it can survive, the price of HMO is secondary (though I do expect it to come down some time in the next year, unless TiVoToGo gets bundled with it.)

And the situation with a proposed reduction in subscription rate for a second TiVo is even worse! TiVo will do it eventually, I'm sure, but it doesn't seem reasonable now. Suppose TiVo has $50 to spend on sales incentives now. Should they spend it on reducing rates for a second TiVo service, something that benefits only customers who already know about TiVo and already like TiVo? Or should they spend it on direct rebates on new units, that benefits old customers while at the same time making an original TiVo purchase that much more attractive for a customer who doesn't know the wonders of TiVo yet; a customer who can be the center of even more sales through word-of-mouth? And this doesn't even count the very real cost to TiVo of reducing service costs to all those customers who are "foolish" enough to be currently willing to pay full service price for the second (or third, or fourth in my case) TiVo.

So all you people who say the issue is price. you're 100% correct. But in order for TiVo to survive, it's the price of the new units that has to be driven down (especially with the cable company DVR's coming out), not the price of HMO.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joker81 is offline Old Post 03-09-2004 02:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for joker81 Find more posts by joker81 Add joker81 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joker81

They should really do a 12.95 for the first unit and $7 a unit after that. This is only for monthly fees. So if you have lifetime on one tivo you still would pay 12.95 for an additional tivo.

There couldn't be a lifetime reduction because then everyone would buy a second tivo lifetime it then put it on ebay with life time.

I dunno why I even bought HMO except maybe to get 4.0 faster. Haven't used it that much.

I have a modded Xbox that does everything that the tivo doesn't do (and it probably should be able to).

Im just bought 2 more series 2 to try and fix them and resell them with bigger HDs.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ukaussi is offline Old Post 03-09-2004 10:47 PM
ukaussi
TiVoholic

The latest rumor is that TiVo will include HMO with the purchase of new TiVo units at some point this summer. This makes a lot of sense as Replay has included most of those features for free since they introduced them and it will go a long way toward making the new units more appealing to new customers.
Indeed, I asked my wife if she still wanted the subscription on the TV in the bedroom and she asked if we could transfer shows between units. I told her we could but it would cost about $150 ($100+$49) and she looked at me like I was crazy

The only issue is what TiVo will do for those people who paid for HMO.
I realize that it could be viewed as "tough luck", similar to buying a graphics card for $400 just after it is released only to find it for $200 a few months later. The problem here is that it isn't really the same type of situation as TiVo will be annoying its paying subscribers who paid for HMO and a TiVo isn't an expendable unit you just throw away or sell to get the latest version.

Should be interesting to see how they smooth HMO customers over with this, maybe give them a few months subscription free or some kind of rebate for lifetime subscribers. Maybe they could offer some kind of free hard drive upgrade ?!

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 03-09-2004 11:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by ukaussi
Should be interesting to see how they smooth HMO customers over with this, maybe give them a few months subscription free or some kind of rebate for lifetime subscribers. Maybe they could offer some kind of free hard drive upgrade ?!
I'm very skeptical about this alleged "rumor" to begin with - it sounds like "inside information" from a Best Buy sophomore ... but it would be nice! I'm also skeptical that anything would be offered as compensation to existing HMO customers if they were to do this (and did I mention my skepticism regarding the underlying "rumor"?).

But, having said all that: If a form of compensation were offered, the simplest one would be free TivoToGo!

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

davidsigep is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 03:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for davidsigep Find more posts by davidsigep Add davidsigep to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davidsigep

The natives are getting restless

I think this is going to be a real issue for TiVo in the VERY near future. Don't get me wrong, I love my TiVo. But to save $12.95, I could easily love someone else.

The HMO option should cost $0 and be included in the monthly. People with lifetime subscriptions could have been charged a small fee to add it on (but personally, I think the $300 they paid is enough).

The simple fact is that the HMO option doesn't do anything revolutionary, and $12.95 is a ridiculous amount of money just to pay for program data.

Now, I know that someone will post and say, "You're not paying for program data, you're paying for the license to use the software." Technically, sure. Realistically, that's not how ANY customer looks at it. I've had several TiVo-loving friends recently balk at the $12.95 they're paying a month. They're getting tired of it; their old TiVo 1s aren't getting any new features anymore. On top of that, they're hearing about Comcast offering new STBs with DVRs built in in certain markets for much cheaper.

It's an issue. TiVo needs to do something, and it needs to do it quickly. The unfortunate truth is that customers are adding up how much it costs. The biggest barrier to purchasing TiVo isn't the $149–$199 for the TiVo.

And, people who were hooked onto TiVo now want multiple units in the house, but they're dead set against paying another $13. But now that they've seen it, they want it. In comes Comcast or Apple or Microsoft with the solution for multi-view at a better rate, what do you think's going to happen? Even as a TiVo fan, I'd be hard pressed to stay.

I sincerely hope that TiVo's listening because they need to do something quickly or they're going to lose their edge in this. The software in the DVRs from the cable company might not be as good, but if they price it at $5–10 a mo., while TiVo sticks with its present model, I think TiVo's screwed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not TiVo-hating. I've been with TiVo since 1/2000 and would love to see them succeed. But, come on.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ycrazyy is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 10:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ycrazyy Find more posts by ycrazyy Add ycrazyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ycrazyy
Big Perm

well it looks like TiVo listened to this thread and looked at the poll... thanks a lot TiVo! i just took advantage of the HMO for $59 deal, and this is MUCH better than the $99 for HMO (granted i don't get my $40 back for a month, but i can live with that). so for everyone who got the e-mail, go check it out!

SA Series2 150hrs w/HMO
Hughes HDVR2(3) 80hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO
Samsung SIR-4040R 141hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 03:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

This is the pricing schedule I think is reasonable for TiVo and fair for the consumer:
(Note that any service could be bundled with a product, ideally no TiVo would be sold without including a minimum of Basic service which should also be available for older systems currently subscribing monthly)
Standard service Series 2 - $249 or $13/month
Standard service Series 1 - $199 or $9/month
TiVo Basic (ideally available on any TiVo) - $99 or $5/month
HMO (which should be available on any series 2, basic or standard service) $49 or $2.50/month
Web based scheduling only (available on any system, series 1 would have 1 day delay instead of 15min) $19 or $1/month

I would also like to see a multi system discount, perhaps a 10% discount of your total bill per unit when you have more than 2.

1 TiVo = Full price, 2 TiVos = 20% discount on the total bill (monthly or one time payment), 3 = 30% discount, max of 40% for 4 or more.

If you purchase 2 lifetimes at the same time $249*2-20%=$398
If you purchased one lifetime last year for $249 and are just adding a second the new sub would cost $249-20%=$199

Last edited by MighTiVo on 03-16-2004 at 11:49 PM

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged