TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO - overpriced / paying twice ?! <<<
HMO pricing - what do you think is best ?
This poll is closed.
Current pricing - $99 + $49 each additional + $13/month EVERY unit 15 11.45%
$59 + $0 each additional + $13/month EVERY unit 27 20.61%
$59 + $49 each additional + $13/month on 1st unit only 89 67.94%
Total: 131 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (3): « Prev 1 2 [3]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bigg is offline Old Post 03-18-2004 06:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

Why pay monthly? I am going to get a TiVo of some kind, and I have NEVER considered the RIP-OFF $13/mo plan. $450 startup isn't too good, but it is what it is to have good TV.

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wills3 is offline Old Post 03-21-2004 07:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wills3 Find more posts by wills3 Add wills3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wills3

I've got a basic question. If you add the second TiVo and pay the subscription fee (at least initially) add on the HMO. If you cancel the subscription would the HMO stay activated and operational?

For me, that would allow me to pass shows to the bedroom (seldom used).

Thanks!

Last edited by wills3 on 03-21-2004 at 10:55 PM

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Eoghann is offline Old Post 03-21-2004 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Eoghann Visit Eoghann's homepage! Find more posts by Eoghann Add Eoghann to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eoghann
Grumpy Young Man

You know this thread makes no damn sense to me at all. HMO costs $99 for the first unit and $59 for the second.

Compared to the costs of owning a Tivo in the first place, thats an insignificant sum of money. So why on earth are people fussing about it?

The $13 monthly fee (or lifetime option) is not part of the HMO cost. Its part of the cost of Tivo. Lumping it in with HMO is misleading in the extreme.

Would it be nice to see a discount on owning multiple Tivo's? Sure it would. Is it economical for Tivo? They don't seem to think so and I certainly can't contradict them.

Of course you want to pay less (everyone does), that doesn't mean it actually makes sense for the company to charge less.

Its easy to throw out a charge less, sell more and make more money argument, its also totally meaningless without knowing overheads, cashflow and having a good assessment of what level of increased sales there would really be. We don't have any of that.

In fact all we have is the less than earth shattering fact that we like paying less.

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wills3 is offline Old Post 03-21-2004 11:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wills3 Find more posts by wills3 Add wills3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wills3

Easy bub -

I am willing to pay the HMO costs. I simply don't wanna have to shell out $13/month for services that I do not expect to use on my second TiVo.

We primarily watch in our family room and once in a while I would like to pass the show upstairs after the kids go to bed. NOT worth the extra bucks in any way. Simply looking for a loophole to fulfill my needs.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Eoghann is offline Old Post 03-21-2004 11:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Eoghann Visit Eoghann's homepage! Find more posts by Eoghann Add Eoghann to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eoghann
Grumpy Young Man

quote:
Originally posted by wills3
We primarily watch in our family room and once in a while I would like to pass the show upstairs after the kids go to bed. NOT worth the extra bucks in any way. Simply looking for a loophole to fulfill my needs.

Then I'd suggest checking out Radioshack (or somewhere similar) for a signal sender/reciever.

Radioshack has one that includes a remote extender as well for around $99.

That will allow you to control your Tivo from the bedroom and watch it on your bedroom tv.

Thats not what HMO is about really so its not practical to price it competatively with that feature.

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jackson8888 is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 06:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson8888 Find more posts by Jackson8888 Add Jackson8888 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson8888

Not worth the $60

Even though Tivo currently has reduced the price for the HMO to $60, I'm still offended that My Tivo has all of the capabilities for streaming audio from my computer, but Tivo is holding that capability hostage until I send them another $60. I have a lifetime subscription and that should include the streaming audio option.

In addition, in reading this forum, the HMO software is pretty primitive for streaming audio.... it's cumbersome to select files, and not all types of music files are supported. So, at least two people who paid the additional dollars for HMO have had to write additional software plugins in an attempt to make the software live up to their expectations.

If Tivo maintains this policy of nickle and diming us to death, they will quickly be replaced by numerous other technologies....... hear the footsteps Tivo? Your days are numbered unless you wake up and smell the coffee.

HMO should not cost an additional $60 to $100.

PS: I ran the forum's spell check on this message and it says the word "Tivo" is misspelled.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 06:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Not worth the $60

quote:
Originally posted by Jackson8888
If Tivo maintains this policy of nickle and diming us to death, they will quickly be replaced by numerous other technologies.......
PS: I ran the forum's spell check on this message and it says the word "Tivo" is misspelled.

Not only that, it missed "nickle"!

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AlaninAZ is offline Old Post 04-07-2004 12:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AlaninAZ Find more posts by AlaninAZ Add AlaninAZ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlaninAZ

I already have a set-up where I can watch my single S2 Tivo located in my family room from my bedroom via remote cabling and IR repeater/sensor.

I did consider the dual Tivo model but its expensive and not very well integrated in my opinion. I do have ethernet to both locations so this would have been easy but I could not justify the total cost. I do have Home Media option so I'm not against paying for Add on Tivo features - I just didn't see multi-room viewing the way Tivo planned it to be worthwhile.

What I would like to see is a dual/multiple tuner tivo with more storage that I could access as as I do now from multiple locations. Isn't it possible to make a Tivo with a slot for a later upgrade for a 2nd tuner (this would be easy to slip passed the wife as a later <$100 upgrade!). Similarly a Tivo ready for a (Tivo proprietary encoded?) HD for program storage upgrade... isnt this stuff obvious modularity that could be fairly easily implemented?

If Tivo made a simple 2nd location program sharing interface wired or wireless network linked back to a master Tivo that transports audio/video from and IR controls back to a master Tivo - I would pay $100 for that device per room (w/ no additional service expense).

I'd be willing to upgrade my Tivo to get the ability to concurrently record two channels - but I want this to be seamlessly integrated - not a manual operation between two machines....

I know Tivo is after more revenues - but making a WOW product is a good way to get there too on total volume - just sticking your most loyal customers with incremental charges just guarantees almost everyone reaches a threshold of dissatisfaction based on total cost...

I love my Tivo - but I don't think this is a good model to keep pushing....

Alan

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brian6170 is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 12:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brian6170 Find more posts by brian6170 Add brian6170 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brian6170

Thumbs up HMO should come standard with the TIVO Units

Why should I pay $350 for the unit, then another $100 for the HMO? If TiVO wants to gain market share, then it needs to offer more than the Cable companies, or at a lower price. No, it's not worth the price for me. It feels like they are Nickel and Dime'n me. I do NOT like that. Currently I will not be buying another TiVO unit since I can just rent one from the cable company for less.

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged