TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> TiVoToGo Survey <<<

Pages (3): « Prev 1 [2] 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CaptainBadAss is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 11:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainBadAss Find more posts by CaptainBadAss Add CaptainBadAss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptainBadAss

Talking

All I know is, every time I clicked a response, I was thinking,

"I WANT IT!"
"I WANT IT!"
"I WANT IT!"
"I WANT IT!"
"I WANT IT!"

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TerpBE is offline Old Post 02-18-2004 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TerpBE Find more posts by TerpBE Add TerpBE to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Can anyone confirm/deny that if you burn to DVD, you can watch it in a standalone DVD player? Based on what I read, you might be able to burn it to DVD, but only play it on a computer with the Tivo dongle. This would be a make-or-break for me. If I can't burn as a "regular" DVD, I'd never buy it. If I can, I would.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Popasmurf is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 01:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Popasmurf Visit Popasmurf's homepage! Find more posts by Popasmurf Add Popasmurf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Popasmurf

quote:
Originally posted by TerpBE
Can anyone confirm/deny that if you burn to DVD, you can watch it in a standalone DVD player? Based on what I read, you might be able to burn it to DVD, but only play it on a computer with the Tivo dongle. This would be a make-or-break for me. If I can't burn as a "regular" DVD, I'd never buy it. If I can, I would.

It is my understanding from previous posts, that you can burn them and watch them on a standalone player.

From transcript of confrence call:

quote:
Question: (Can't understand it all, but is asking if after using the security key to get video onto the pc and burn it to DVD, can it then be played on any device without needing key?)

Answer: Yes you can, the same as with the Pioneer.

Link

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:

Current thinking is burning a DVD would likely require the dongle. Playing back the DVD would not, nor would it be limited to the PC it was burned on (you could play it in the car, on the plane, in the office, on a train, on a box, with a fox...).

Sorry if the survey was confusing on this point.

Pony

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 01:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:

The TiVo press release specifically said that the DVDs it created would be playable in normal standalone players. Although TiVo recordings are NOT DVD compliant, so be prepared for there to be a long transcoding time associated with the Save To DVD process.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

quarkman97 is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for quarkman97 Visit quarkman97's homepage! Find more posts by quarkman97 Add quarkman97 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quarkman97
New and Improved!

Did anyone else think the survey was longer than usual?

Not that I'm complaining, but it was something I noticed while taking it.

Yeah, I also did the "man, I hope I get to bea beta tester..."

If and when this feature is implemented, it will give the SA Tivo a distinct advantage over the DirecTivo IMO and maybe push some more lemmings off the cliff into getting a Tivo.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

shady is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for shady Find more posts by shady Add shady to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shady

At CES this year, there were a number of iPod like devices for video.
That would be the ultimate TiVo to Go product for me.

Just plug in one of these hard drive based "mini TiVos" into the USB port, and select which programs I want to dump onto it. I can then hop on a plane with my very own enternainment system (and a bag of batteries).

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

quarkman97 is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for quarkman97 Visit quarkman97's homepage! Find more posts by quarkman97 Add quarkman97 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quarkman97
New and Improved!

Amen, brother!

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

The only problem with that setup is that most of those portable video players are designed to play back MPEG4 files with MP3 audio. TiVo records in MPEG2 format with MP2 audio.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pgogborn is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 03:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pgogborn Find more posts by pgogborn Add pgogborn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pgogborn
TiVo Forum Special Member

On question 21. "If you wanted to burn DVDs of programs, what would you prefer?"
I answered "Use TiVoToGo and transfer programs to my computer, which can burn DVDs" on the assumption that I would have access to better editing facilities on my computer than on a TiVo DVR with built-in DVD burner.

On question 24. Is the selected computer [if you were to use TiVoToGo] a laptop computer or a desktop computer?
I answered Laptop, on the assumption that I would spend most of my time using TiVoToGo viewing programs on the road, but the time spent using TiVoToGo to edit programs, I would use a desktop.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 04:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

On TiVoToGo-Go:

quote:
Originally posted by kenerups
I can see it now. The little tivo guy/gal cage dancing on top of a bar.
Sounds like the Hello Kitty USB Hub. [Click for details.]

Replace Hello Kitty with TiVo Guy and make the figure animate for network instead of keyboard activity, and you've got a new geek item for the TiVo Store. If the TiVo Guy could vocally report to you on what your TiVo is doing, that would be extra cool.

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wordmike is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 05:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wordmike Find more posts by wordmike Add wordmike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wordmike

I completed the survey as well. Can't wait for the final product!

Mike

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 05:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

quote:
Transfer speed would depend on the speed of your home network

Do I hear 802.11g support in the future?

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kiwisoup is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 06:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kiwisoup Visit kiwisoup's homepage! Find more posts by kiwisoup Add kiwisoup to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kiwisoup

Talking

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LTParis is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 07:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LTParis Visit LTParis's homepage! Find more posts by LTParis Add LTParis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LTParis

Of course I took part in it. My dream is a nice media server that I can hook up my current Series2 40, and would purchase a second Series2 40 for my bedroom if I can stream my video archives at will.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

I would like to connect the the USB port on a TiVo to a USB Hub and have one connected to the 10/100 network and the other connected directly to a PC.

I would like to transfer to/from a PC in twice the real time.

I would love to build a massive storage PC with a simple CPU. I would love to "push/send" data from TiVo to the PC so, I can leave the PC running in the garage/basement.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 09:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom
I would like to connect the the USB port on a TiVo to a USB Hub and have one connected to the 10/100 network and the other connected directly to a PC.

I would like to transfer to/from a PC in twice the real time.

I would love to build a massive storage PC with a simple CPU. I would love to "push/send" data from TiVo to the PC so, I can leave the PC running in the garage/basement.

1) there are 2 (TWO) USB ports on the back of the Tivo.

2) Using a Hub like that doesn't give you more bandwidth on the USB Bus. So the 2 devices would end up having to compete for the available bandwidth.

3) at about 12 Megabit you will get faster than Best Quality Realtime.. but not by much. With a USB 2.0 Interface (if they turn it on for units that can indeed support it) it would be much faster for file transfers.

and.. umm..... errr..... yeah who doesn't want a huge horkin Data Store for their household data? :-)

KC

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoshNJ is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 10:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoshNJ Find more posts by JoshNJ Add JoshNJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoshNJ

Said by TiVo survey:

"Have you ever actually taken video content from your TiVo DVR and put it on your computer? **"

** Disclaimer: This question is purely for informational purposes.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drew2k is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 10:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drew2k Find more posts by drew2k Add drew2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drew2k
!revetahW

I didn't see that question as a big deal. It's ok to use analog out on the TiVo to put video content on your PC.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

VinceA is offline Old Post 02-19-2004 06:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for VinceA Find more posts by VinceA Add VinceA to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VinceA
Advanced Member

I think they just wanted to know how many people are already going through the trouble of doing it now. The disclaimer is there to put some people's minds at ease so they don't think it's a 'witch hunt'

BTW, are you the same JoshNJ from the Broadband Reports forums? I'm guessing yes since your avatar there is the TiVo guy

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged