TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> TiVoToGo Survey <<<

Pages (3): « Prev 1 2 [3]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cwoody222 is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 01:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
I took it also. I'm surprised that they didn't include the Pioneer or Toshiba models in the list of DVR units.

How do I get on the subscription list for the newsletter? I've tried several times to subscribe, but it doesn't ever seem to take.

You'd think it'd be easy. It's not...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=155538

I got the newsletter but didn't even see the survey until now so thanks. I took it.

Who made those TiVo security keys? Tonka?! Yuck!

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TerpBE is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TerpBE Find more posts by TerpBE Add TerpBE to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TerpBE
Go Terps!

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
Current thinking is burning a DVD would likely require the dongle. Playing back the DVD would not, nor would it be limited to the PC it was burned on (you could play it in the car, on the plane, in the office, on a train, on a box, with a fox...).

Sorry if the survey was confusing on this point.

Pony

Thanks for the response. This sounds awesome!

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ukaussi is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 03:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ukaussi Visit ukaussi's homepage! Find more posts by ukaussi Add ukaussi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ukaussi
TiVoholic

My usage for TiVoToGo if it did what I wanted:-

- Burn Kids programs to DVD to show later on a standalone DVD player in house and in the car. (I have no use for playing them back on the PC or laptop)
- Archive programs to show later on one of my TiVo units
- Possibly play home movies on TiVo after transferring from PC

I would also like to see the ability to utilize the TiVo's USB port for:-
- USB hard drive for extra storage
- USB DVD burner.
The later is important as I already purchased 2 series 2 TiVo's for the house (and may get the Motorola 6208/6408 HD cable DVR which has firewire port for extra hard drives)) and don't see myself getting another just to burn DVD's (may change my mind if price cheap enough) so plugging in a DVD Burner to your existing TiVo would be great.

By final 2 cents is that any additional cost for TiVoToGo should be subscription based if TiVo is to succeed with the mass market (same as cable DVR's)

I also think TiVo needs to get in with one of the big cable companies (Cox, Comcast) and take over the TV guide on the new DVR/Cable box combo's

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 03:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Humm then I could have a PC with 4X300GB hard drives (Maxtor 5A300J0)....at $254.50 each $1000 plus a cheap PC parts for about $150

1.2TB of video!!!!

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoAddiction is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 05:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoAddiction Find more posts by TivoAddiction Add TivoAddiction to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoAddiction

I like the idea of using a computer as a datastore for TiVo. The only catch I could see is that if you end up with a couple of terrabites of data. TiVo's menu wouldn't be that great for handling several hundred (maybe thousands) recordings. Of course this is assuming that they don't make any changes to the current GUI.

It would be so cool to have a video library, where you could sit back on the couch and pull up anything you've ever recorded. If this is possible I'd hope they would eventually add features for creating a storage network (more than one PC) and a function to automatically archive a show to the storage network.

....end dream sequence

==TiVoAddiction==

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GimmeMP3 is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 06:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GimmeMP3 Find more posts by GimmeMP3 Add GimmeMP3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GimmeMP3

Forgive me for being the dissenting voice here, but I think the number one problem with this is that currently, it won't be available on DirecTV "Series2" TiVos. I don't know what the breakdown is regarding DirecTV TiVo vs. Series2 subscriptions, but I'm going to make the assumption that it's 50/50. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The problem here is that you're designing features for half your subscribers. I understand that DirecTV with TiVo (HDVR2 et al) are not technically Series2. I understand that it's up to DirecTV and not TiVo to turn the features on. I understand that this has been rehashed 100 times. But the primary issue is that you're developing and marketing features that much (most?) of your user base can't use.

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zevida is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 08:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zevida Find more posts by Zevida Add Zevida to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I took the survey and I love the idea.

I would be very interested in even just being able to store shows on my computer. Currently no DVD burner and don't even know if my old computer can handle it, but I would start looking into an upgrade the second TiVoToGo became a definite.

:0)

Me want TiVoToGo!

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 09:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by GimmeMP3
Forgive me for being the dissenting voice here, but I think the number one problem with this is that currently, it won't be available on DirecTV "Series2" TiVos. I don't know what the breakdown is regarding DirecTV TiVo vs. Series2 subscriptions, but I'm going to make the assumption that it's 50/50. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The problem here is that you're designing features for half your subscribers. I understand that DirecTV with TiVo (HDVR2 et al) are not technically Series2. I understand that it's up to DirecTV and not TiVo to turn the features on. I understand that this has been rehashed 100 times. But the primary issue is that you're developing and marketing features that much (most?) of your user base can't use.
Nothing that Tivo does will be available for DirecTV customers unless DirecTV deigns to allow access. Sure, Tivo could just stop its development efforts so that those who bought the wrong system won't have to watch others take advantage of new features ... but why should all development stop because DirecTV chooses to block its users from the good stuff?

Buy a standalone, or knock some sense into your provider.

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

d_anders is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 09:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for d_anders Find more posts by d_anders Add d_anders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d_anders

quote:
Originally posted by GimmeMP3
But the primary issue is that you're developing and marketing features that much (most?) of your user base can't use.

Given your comments, I don't think you understand how much DirecTV controls what goes on the DirecTiVo boxes. I'm sure TiVo would love to offer more to the DirecTiVo base, but it's not their call. TiVo probably comes up with a lot of ideas that they pitch to DirecTV, but in the end, it's Direct TV's call...

Based on what I've read from the licensing agreement with TiVo and comments made on this board, any or all additional features to be added on current or future units of DirecTiVo is almost in the complete control of Direct TV.

TiVo can't just develop and release new features for DirecTiVo boxes. Ok, maybe develop, I guess, but without knowing if or when DirecTV will allow them to be released, how much can TiVo risk to spend to develop new features without knowing for sure that they will be able to capitalize on them?

What do you expect TiVo to do? What can you suggest that they do, given the little control they have with the DirecTiVo units?

They have control over the SA base, and they are trying to make the best of it.

Given the growth of the media centers and media hubs for entertainment centers, I think it's crazy that DirecTV doesn't take advantage of the HMO technology...If Cable Companies DVRs get a head of the curve on them, they could lose subscribers...

Does DirectTV have forums like this where they have employees actively monitor and participate? If they do, then you should be getting more folks from the DirecTV forum on this site and get them call and write more.

Given how well the HMO petition has been received, I'm sorry to say that it doesn't look all that great....but at least you can enjoy dual tuners, great picture for the amount of disk used, etc.

So given all this, I'll ask again, what do you suggest that TiVo can do given their situation?

Last edited by d_anders on 02-20-2004 at 09:28 AM

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tonyquan is offline Old Post 02-20-2004 03:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tonyquan Find more posts by tonyquan Add tonyquan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonyquan

quote:
Originally posted by d_anders

Does DirectTV have forums like this where they have employees actively monitor and participate? If they do, then you should be getting more folks from the DirecTV forum on this site and get them call and write more.

In the satellite TV forums (dbsforums.com, dbstalk.com) very few DirecTV employees participate. Those that do are usually fairly low level, customer support people (good if you have a question about plans, pricing, upgrades, etc) but not about what software is going on TiVos...

DirecTV definitely likes to play its cards close to the vest.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

megazone is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 08:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for megazone Visit megazone's homepage! Find more posts by megazone Add megazone to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I took the survey and spread the word - I co-maintain the 'TiVoLovers' Live Journal community, so I posted it there - and I also posted it to alt.video.ptv.tivo.

Someone already had mentioned it in the Orkut TiVo community.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 02-21-2004 08:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomo_kun Find more posts by tomo_kun Add tomo_kun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

quote:
Originally posted by megazone
I took the survey and spread the word - I co-maintain the 'TiVoLovers' Live Journal community, so I posted it there - and I also posted it to alt.video.ptv.tivo.

Someone already had mentioned it in the Orkut TiVo community.

Thats YOU who posted it. I also noticed somone posted about an orkut TiVo community.

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged