TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Opinions on Free HMO trial <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
psc_Tivo_addict is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 11:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for psc_Tivo_addict Find more posts by psc_Tivo_addict Add psc_Tivo_addict to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
psc_Tivo_addict

HMO Too Expensive

With the increased competition in the DVR arena, i.e. cable companies and computer companies and the general technology convergence. I think Tivo will have to offer the HMO free to ad value to the service and help them compete. Don't get me wrong I love my Tivo's, But considering I pay Almost $30 a month just for the programming, and Time Warner offers a DVR for only 8.95 a month.
Yes I agree it's not as good as a Tivo. But I have to tell you considering there is no hardware investment. It's good enough and like any other technologies it will improve. Certainly Tivo must know this. I certainly think the home media option is worth something but certainly not $148.00 for 2 Tivos. I would consider either a $79.00 per household fee, or and addition $2 per month per Tivo. But in the end it's all about adding value. It should be free for people owning more than one Tivo.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivortex is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 02:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tivortex Find more posts by Tivortex Add Tivortex to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tivortex
I like cheese

quote:
Originally posted by drewbenson

2- However, when I tried it, I started to think about my 200 CDs of audio I've got on my PC, and since my Tivo is hooked to my home stereo, I thought that could really be worth something. Much to my chagrin, though, the audio thing wouldn't deal with WMP files (from Windows Media Player). Since there's zero chance I'm going to convert all my files to mp3 or rerip them all, I dismissed this HMO audio/music option as worthless.

So let me understand this. YOU were a dumbass and bought into Microsoft's proprietary compression codec WMP, with it's "user pleasing" DRM, instead of the universally used MPEG3 and now somehow it's TiVo's fault you can't do jack with your music files ? BWAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!!

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

melgar is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 07:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for melgar Find more posts by melgar Add melgar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
melgar

Anyone know what these dedicated devices for under $99 are? My main desire for HMO is for playing the mp3's on my PC over my network. Is there a way to connect a network, via ethernet to your typical pre-amp or stereo receiver?

Thanks...

quote:
Originally posted by hutchca
I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

I have only 1 tivo so show sharing isn't an option.
The only feature I would use is the Music and Photos and that's not worth the $99 price tag.

There are better dedicated devices to play music, pictures AND VIDEOS over the network and they are around $99 or less.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skanter is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 09:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for skanter Find more posts by skanter Add skanter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skanter
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by melgar
Anyone know what these dedicated devices for under $99 are? My main desire for HMO is for playing the mp3's on my PC over my network. Is there a way to connect a network, via ethernet to your typical pre-amp or stereo receiver?

Thanks...

Perhaps, but I don't think you'll see all the MP3 info on your TV screen...

unknown

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

melgar is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 01:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for melgar Find more posts by melgar Add melgar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
melgar

I don't need the mp3 info on the screen, just the ability to play the mp3 on the pc and route it to my home stereo via my ethernet nework.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skanter is offline Old Post 05-15-2004 02:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for skanter Find more posts by skanter Add skanter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skanter

quote:
Originally posted by melgar
I don't need the mp3 info on the screen, just the ability to play the mp3 on the pc and route it to my home stereo via my ethernet nework.

You'd be surprised how nice it is to navigate your MP3s with remote from listening position on couch, rather than going to the computer -- depending on how your room is set up. Very cool...

unknown

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bobby Soprano is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 03:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby Soprano Find more posts by Bobby Soprano Add Bobby Soprano to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bobby Soprano

After playing with HMO for a few days ... I will say this:

It's unreliable ... sometimes my server shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Half of the times that it does, the mp3's either freeze, or play extremely choppy. I have no problems on my network with any other connected devices, only TIVO.

If I try to publish and view a directory with a certain amount of music or photos in it ... it crashes my computer. What the *magic number* of files is ... I haven't figured out, because I got tired of rebooting my machine.

Remote scheduling doesn't work for me either, giving me an error that it can't find the program data for my DVR ... and to call.

JavaHMO ... I haven't been able to get running, after way too much putzing with it.

After having the pleasure of turning many friends on to TIVO ... I would be embarrassed to show them the HMO. It's just too flaky (for me anyway) ... and I wouldn't pay 2 cents for it.

Oh .. BTW ... I still love my TIVO ... just not HMO.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skanter is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 07:14 AM
skanter

quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Soprano
After playing with HMO for a few days ... I will say this:

It's unreliable ... sometimes my server shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Half of the times that it does, the mp3's either freeze, or play extremely choppy. I have no problems on my network with any other connected devices, only TIVO.

If I try to publish and view a directory with a certain amount of music or photos in it ... it crashes my computer. What the *magic number* of files is ... I haven't figured out, because I got tired of rebooting my machine.

Remote scheduling doesn't work for me either, giving me an error that it can't find the program data for my DVR ... and to call.

JavaHMO ... I haven't been able to get running, after way too much putzing with it.

After having the pleasure of turning many friends on to TIVO ... I would be embarrassed to show them the HMO. It's just too flaky (for me anyway) ... and I wouldn't pay 2 cents for it.

Oh .. BTW ... I still love my TIVO ... just not HMO.

I've had none of the problems you describe. In fact, HMO has operated perfectly on my system. You might do some PC troubleshooting. Are you using a wired or wireless network? A wireless could be the problem.

On the other hand, I could not get JavaHMO to work correctly on my system.

unknown

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jmX is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 01:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmX Find more posts by jmX Add jmX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmX

BobbySoprano, the Tivo HMO software for the desktop pc is pretty useless I found. I too couldnt get it to use my fairly sizable amount of mp3s, it'd crash every time.

I switched to JavaHMO, and while it took some effort to actually get working, it paid off in the end. The HMO service would be 100% totally and utterly useless to me if it hadnt been for JavaHMO.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bobby Soprano is offline Old Post 05-19-2004 11:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby Soprano Find more posts by Bobby Soprano Add Bobby Soprano to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bobby Soprano

quote:
Originally posted by skanter
I've had none of the problems you describe. In fact, HMO has operated perfectly on my system. You might do some PC troubleshooting. Are you using a wired or wireless network? A wireless could be the problem.

On the other hand, I could not get JavaHMO to work correctly on my system.

That's the nature of the beast I guess (computers & software). What works on one machine flawlessly, will have another user tearing his hair out. I AM on a wireless network, but have absolutely no problems with any other machines, or even xbox live ... which is even further away than the TIVO. I also show a *very good* signal strength when I check the setup.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bobby Soprano is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 12:02 AM
Bobby Soprano

quote:
Originally posted by jmX
BobbySoprano, the Tivo HMO software for the desktop pc is pretty useless I found. I too couldnt get it to use my fairly sizable amount of mp3s, it'd crash every time.

I switched to JavaHMO, and while it took some effort to actually get working, it paid off in the end. The HMO service would be 100% totally and utterly useless to me if it hadnt been for JavaHMO.

Like I said ... I tried to get JavaHMO running ... and everything looked fine EXCEPT ... I couldn't see it running on the TIVO no matter what I did. I've got LOTS of software installed on this particular machine, and I'm not about to start disabling all kinds of other java stuff just to get JavaHMO running. Also ... even though I have more than enough RAM ... I don't know if I want to allocate 50 megs to something that I probably wouldn't be using that often.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skanter is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 12:33 AM
skanter

quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Soprano
That's the nature of the beast I guess (computers & software). What works on one machine flawlessly, will have another user tearing his hair out. I AM on a wireless network, but have absolutely no problems with any other machines, or even xbox live ... which is even further away than the TIVO. I also show a *very good* signal strength when I check the setup.

You're right. Trying to figure out this stuff can be frustrating.

As I said, Tivo HMO on my XP wired network works flawlessly and fast.
The photos come up in about a second, and my 40G of MP3s play immediately.

I tried javaHMO, and it -kind of- worked, but the MP3s and photos were much slower. The feature I wanted, audio organizer, did not work despite my sending logs to the developers, and the weather and movies worked for one day but then stopped. JavaHMO seemed to be affecting my whole system so I decided to take it off. I might try it again in the future as more features are developed. I certainly hope Tivo is developing more features
for HMO, as it is pretty basic at this point.

unknown

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

thehepcat is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 08:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for thehepcat Find more posts by thehepcat Add thehepcat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thehepcat
MF'N Yankees

well I'm thoroughly frustrated. I keep getting two errors on the TiVo Server.

1. The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
2. TiVo Connect Beacon is not available!

The problem is that TiVoServer.exe, TiVoPublisher.exe, & TivoBeacon.exe are all running processes.

I'm just glad this is a free trial.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skanter is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 08:43 AM
skanter

quote:
Originally posted by thehepcat
well I'm thoroughly frustrated. I keep getting two errors on the TiVo Server.

1. The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
2. TiVo Connect Beacon is not available!

The problem is that TiVoServer.exe, TiVoPublisher.exe, & TivoBeacon.exe are all running processes.

I'm just glad this is a free trial.

Maybe a call to Tivo tech support...?

unknown

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tv_danny is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 04:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tv_danny Find more posts by tv_danny Add tv_danny to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tv_danny

Enjoyed the HMO trial. Unlike others, really had no problems setting up. Like others, really underwhelmed with the feature set, especially given the price add.

o Pictures and music -- limited formats. Ok performance, but nothing special here;

o Remote scheduling -- cool, but much easier to do on the Tivo itself; I guess there are times when doing this remotely would be useful, but I have better things to do in the day than to think about what to record on Tivo -- I got Tivo to simplify my life, not to add to the daily tasks;

o Multi-room viewing -- don't have multiple Tivo's -- though a better way of transferring video information through to different TV's is clearly a need. I don't think having multiple machines + multiple subscriptions is practical.

BTW: Just picked up a different Media Center device -- a Go Video networked DVD player -- $115 shipped from eCost : look for D2730 at GoVideo site for details.
Cool device; price is right, and streams video + pictures + music in lots more formats than Tivo (w/o any tie to a monthly sub..)

Bottom line: make HMO a standard feature, don't charge for multiple Tivo's, and use this feature to enhance attractiveness over the cable supplied DVR's.

Don't get me wrong... still a big Tivo fan -- had a couple of additional sales to my credit of friends/family... but Tivo still needs to work on the value-add from this thing over other solutions to keep this puppy rolling....

>

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xab is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 01:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xab Find more posts by Xab Add Xab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xab

Can I get the HMO trial if I just have the Tivo Plus trial on my new Toshiba SD-H400?

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoed4Life is offline Old Post 05-22-2004 11:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoed4Life Find more posts by TiVoed4Life Add TiVoed4Life to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoed4Life

I just tried out HMO for the first time via the free trial. I got the e-mail days ago, but just kinda let it be (since I was too lazy to set up my TiVo again after moving..until last night).

Anyway....initially I was having issues. I kept trying to manually set up the TiVo to see the IP address of my work laptop PC. NOTHING would work!, and I was almost ready to say *Boston accent that I do not have* 'Fuggit about it!' But being the patient person I am, I went to the TiVo site for clues. It states:

quote:

If you have Virtual Private Networking (VPN) software such as Cisco VPN or IBM Netstructure installed on your PC, you may need to adjust your settings or turn off your VPN software in order to use Music & Photos. This is necessary because the VPN software masks the actual IP address of your PC and makes it impossible for your DVR to see TiVo Desktop.

If you have a software-based firewall such as Black Ice, Norton Internet Security, or McAfee Personal Firewall installed on your PC, it may be necessary to adjust your settings to allow the TiVo Server to broadcast the beacon signal to your DVRs. The following ports must be open to allow your PC to communicate with your DVR:

TCP Port 2190

UDP Port 2190

TCP Ports 8080-8089

Yes, I have the oh-so-convenient VPN software and firewall utilites on my work computer.

So I just walked across the room and downloaded the Desktop on my personal laptop, and everything went smoothly. I was suprised to see that It even had listed "Paige's Music on Ispo" and "Paige's Pictures on Ispo", which I saw nothing similar in my previous attempts. *Again, I thought I had to manually add the IP address*

I'm running it wirelessly, and the picture transfer is not slow at all for me.

I dont download MP3s and I rarely even use my personal PC. The Picture sharing feature is nice, but I doubt I would even use it. I have all my WishLists and Season Passes set for all my shows on my ONE and only TiVo so I probably wouldnt use Remote Scheduling much at all. So, for $99, I think I'll pass on HMO.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged