TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Next Windows Version of TiVo Desktop? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ACraigL is offline Old Post 06-02-2004 10:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ACraigL Find more posts by ACraigL Add ACraigL to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ACraigL

Next Windows Version of TiVo Desktop?

Any buzz on an updated version of TiVo Desktop? I mean, version 1.0 has been out for sometime. Anything new on the horizon?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

Re: Next Windows Version of TiVo Desktop?

quote:
Originally posted by ACraigL
Any buzz on an updated version of TiVo Desktop? I mean, version 1.0 has been out for sometime. Anything new on the horizon?

I'm beginning to think that the PC version of TiVo Desktop was just kind of a proof of concept. The TiVo developers have since released the plugin and beacon API, as well as the TiVo interface documentation which leads me to believe they want 3rd parties to develop desktop software so they don't have to. We already have 3rd party software for sale (eg: MoodLogic) and for free (JavaHMO) as well as a number of plugins for TiVoDesktop (WMA support, email, Windows Media Library).

Unless the interface changes dramatically I doubt we'll see any more updates to TiVo Desktop from TiVo.

edit: Updated to include links since everyone else is doing so

Last edited by morac on 06-04-2004 at 08:43 AM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrianNg is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 08:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrianNg Find more posts by BrianNg Add BrianNg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrianNg

APIs where?

Where can I get these APIs?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 08:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Re: APIs where?

quote:
Originally posted by BrianNg
Where can I get these APIs?

http://tivo.com/developer/

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 01:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

Is the reason why we have vers 1.7 or 1.8 on the Mac is because of native zeroconf support?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 07:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Some of the Macintosh revisions were to handle changes in iPhoto (and maybe iTunes). With the Macintosh version of TiVo Desktop, it works closely with iTunes and iPhoto -- so if something in either of those applications changes, it might require a change to TiVo Desktop.

Some other changes were to deal with a "security" issue, but I'm not sure what it was...

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mikedaly is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 08:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mikedaly Find more posts by mikedaly Add mikedaly to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikedaly
You want what when?

There are a couple more 3rd party applications which implement the TiVo APIs that haven't been mentioned here. (I haven't used any of them, just thought I'd mention them):
J River Media Center
Adobe Photoshop Album

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgc is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgc Find more posts by dgc Add dgc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgc

To make the 3rd party list more complete, there's the one I started; byRequest. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/byrequest.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

d_anders is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 09:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for d_anders Find more posts by d_anders Add d_anders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d_anders

Re: Re: Next Windows Version of TiVo Desktop?

quote:
Originally posted by morac
Unless the interface changes dramatically I doubt we'll see any more updates to TiVo Desktop from TiVo.

I tend to agree with your sentiment, but I certainly hope for HMO's sake that isn't true. Given TiVo's keep it simple philosophy, only us techie oriented folks are taking advantage of the improvements brought about with the API...

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

morac is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for morac Find more posts by morac Add morac to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morac
Advanced Member

Re: Re: Re: Next Windows Version of TiVo Desktop?

quote:
Originally posted by d_anders
I tend to agree with your sentiment, but I certainly hope for HMO's sake that isn't true. Given TiVo's keep it simple philosophy, only us techie oriented folks are taking advantage of the improvements brought about with the API...
Well yes and no. Yes only programmers and the like will be able to understand and use the APIs and/or interface documentation, but the programmers then release their programs to the public as either pay products or free downloads. So the end user ends up with something they can use.

A person doesn't need to understand how MoodLogic, Adobe, JavaHMO or any other 3rd party program works in order to use them.

I think TiVo should focus on improving the TiVo side of the HMO and expanding the PC-TiVo interface. If they do this, the PC side will follow quickly.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joeonsunset is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 08:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joeonsunset Visit joeonsunset's homepage! Find more posts by joeonsunset Add joeonsunset to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joeonsunset

lol... well they should focus on improving SOMETHING anyway. I'd love to see any functional improvements in ANY Tivo software. Oh, maybe even an update to the Tivo base OS! Something other than more ads on the main screen... like, oh, those padding improvements that people have been begging for forever? Throw me a bone!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged