TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> What should a new customer do <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
randell is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for randell Find more posts by randell Add randell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randell

What should a new customer do

Right now I have an old school tivo with my comcast cable. But I want to switch to directivo. Trouble is there are so many confusing offers and devices out there. I looked at the FAQ and tried to find a thread with good info, but the search wasn't very fruitful...
So here is the situation.
I have one tv. I want to get a series 2 tivo, with a good sized drive, that can record two channels at a time. It should have at least the 80 GB hard drive, maybe the bigger one. Seems simple. But there are lots of confusing things...
Like driect tv won't sell me a good enough dtivo. So i have to get it form like circuit city or best buy. But if I get it form them, I have to pay for the dish to get the free install. If I get the free install, and dish from direct tv. I think I have to hook up their reciever for at least a month. Though I can do that, I am not sure that meets the requirements of their contract for free install. And the real problem, I can't seem to find out what software is on most of the dtivo's I see advertised. They don't say, and when I asked the sales guy at best buy who had claimed to have one, it became obvious he had lied about having one, cause he didn't even understand what I was talking about.

By the way, I love me Tivo, but the IR blasting is jsut too inconsistent, and the drive is too small, and I want to be able to record two things at once...

Also, the owner of the place I rent, wants me to mount the dish on a fence... It's sturdy and all, but not all that wide. Do you think they can do it...

Thanks all for your help.

Randell

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gsslug is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gsslug Find more posts by gsslug Add gsslug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gsslug

Re: What should a new customer do

quote:
Originally posted by randell
I have one tv. I want to get a series 2 tivo, with a good sized drive, that can record two channels at a time. It should have at least the 80 GB hard drive, maybe the bigger one. Seems simple. But there are lots of confusing things...
Like driect tv won't sell me a good enough dtivo. So i have to get it form like circuit city or best buy. But if I get it form them, I have to pay for the dish to get the free install.

You may have to pay more to get a unit with a larger hard drive. Watch your local newspaper for ads. I see them all the time but I don't pay attention to the details because I'm not in the market. I have seen that you can get a complete setup w/DTivo for as little as $49 but it most likely has only a 40GB dirve. There are also several online vendors that will set you up. So do some Googling. Like with most things we buy as soon as we get it home we see it advertised for a better price somewhere else. Places like Good Guys have a 30 day price guarantee so if you get it from them or some other dealer that offers the 30 day price guarantee you should be OK. I paid $199 for mine so the bottom line is you have to look for the best deal at the time and jump in. Otherwise you'll never get one.
quote:
If I get the free install, and dish from direct tv. I think I have to hook up their reciever for at least a month. Though I can do that, I am not sure that meets the requirements of their contract for free install.

I had to sign up for a year which I think is standard. However you only have to use the service. DTV doesn't care what receiver you are using so hooking up a DTivo satisfies their requirements.
quote:
And the real problem, I can't seem to find out what software is on most of the dtivo's I see advertised. They don't say, and when I asked the sales guy at best buy who had claimed to have one, it became obvious he had lied about having one, cause he didn't even understand what I was talking about.

As far as software goes the software that comes on the unit may not be the latest but it will be updated automatically once you have it hooked up to a phone line. So don't worry about what software is on it.

quote:
By the way, I love me Tivo, but the IR blasting is jsut too inconsistent, and the drive is too small, and I want to be able to record two things at once...

Well getting a DTivo with a large hard drive will solve your problems.
quote:
Also, the owner of the place I rent, wants me to mount the dish on a fence... It's sturdy and all, but not all that wide. Do you think they can do it...

Just remember that if the fence rocks in the wind you may not get a good signal on windy days. It might be worth it to invest in a steel pole and sink it in concrete. You can always dig it up and take it with you when you leave.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bodosom is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bodosom Find more posts by bodosom Add bodosom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bodosom
Just another tivotee

I got a DTivo on-line for $39. After shipping etc. it wound up being about $75 and included installation. It was slightly cheaper in my case because I got the 18" for free (it's necessary to get my locals) so I didn't have to buy a switch to support the dual tuners. You need to read the installation offer carefully. I understand quite a few folks have gotten unpleasant surprises after failing to read the fine print. At the very least they need to be willing to pull both cables to the DTivo.

I've seen dishes installed in a sorts of places. You just want to be sure the platform is stable under wind load (which can be noticeable) and that it's out of harms way (you don't want someone to be able to stand in front of the dish).

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

Solidsignal has an awesome deal going on right now. Check it out here. The larger drive TiVo's are a lot more than the 40 hr, though. Do you have any computer experience? Changing out the original drive for a 160 GB (that you can get for ~$80) is a 30 minute job...

They include a dish for $20, a multiswitch if you need it for free, and free installation.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randell is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for randell Find more posts by randell Add randell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randell

hmm, I looked into the cheaper directtv tivo things... They are really cheap, and have very small hard drives. Also, someone told me they were series 1. I am looking for a bigger hard drive, and series 2.
So far the only thing I have found that I like is the smasung sirs4120R. It is $300 at circuit city. That is a very big difference from the cheap ones I see all over the place with small hard drives. So is the only difference the bigger hard drive and the series 1 vs series 2?

Also, I keep hearing people talking about some kind of switch... What si the switch for?

Randell

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Thespis is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thespis Find more posts by Thespis Add Thespis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thespis

Any DirecTivo you can buy retail currently is a series 2. Series 1's are hard to come by and desired for their hackability. (Is that a word?)
The switch everyone is talking about is a multiswitch. It's used when you want to use a multi-satellite dish or multiple receivers on one dish.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

beanpoppa is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for beanpoppa Find more posts by beanpoppa Add beanpoppa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beanpoppa

Don't worry about the size of the drive in the DTivo. The 40hr DTivo will hold about 30-40hours of video at the best (and only) quality. Unlike a Stand Alone (old school) 40 hour Tivo, which only holds about 15 hours of video at best quality, the DTivo's record the satellite feed directly, which is compressed by high-end equipment on DTV's end. I upgraded my first DTivo to 120 hours right after I got it, but didn't bother with the other 2 because 40 hours is enough. They hold more shows than my old SA 80 hour Tivo did.

If you do decide that you want more space, weeknees has some nice drop-in upgrade options that are still cheaper than buying a bigger drive DTivo. If you can turn a screwdriver, you can upgrade your Tivo. If you are more adventurous, you could buy your own HD and do it yourself to save even more.

All DTivo's available now are Series 2 hardware. However, DTV has not enabled any of the Series 2 features (USB ports, HMO, folders, etc) so they are functionally the same as Series 1's. That may change in the future, but is looking less and less likely as time goes on.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gsslug is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gsslug Find more posts by gsslug Add gsslug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gsslug

quote:
Originally posted by beanpoppa
However, DTV has not enabled any of the Series 2 features (USB ports, HMO, folders, etc) so they are functionally the same as Series 1's. That may change in the future, but is looking less and less likely as time goes on.

I don't know about that. Competition with Dish and cable and the fact that everyday more and more people are abandonding their land lines in favor of cell phones will put pressure on DTV to have an alternative to landline phone hookup.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randell is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:01 PM
randell

So even the dtivo boxes sold by hughes and samsung, don't have the USB's enabled... I would have thought that at least the usb would be independent of dtv. Why does dtv get to make the call on that, how are they even invovled...

Randell

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

quote:
So far the only thing I have found that I like is the smasung sirs4120R. It is $300 at circuit city.

Did you even bother to look at my post above? They have your SIRS4120R for $204. Also, a multiswitch is included if you need one, and the dish is $19.99.

The boxes only work for DirecTV, and they dictate the functionality. If it were up to TiVo, the USB ports would be active, and HMO would work on DTV boxes - but it is not up to them.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randell is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:45 PM
randell

Sorry, yeah I did look at your post. I was still trying to figure out what the major difference between the expensive and the inexpensive tivo's is. I was just quoting a price I remembered off the top of my head at the time. Even at ~$200, that is at least $100 or $150 more then what is seen in lots of places. If that extra money is only for a bigger hard drive, that would be crazy. But in this world we live in, I guess it is possible.
I was looking forward to the usb for the tivo connection, and the folders. The HMO I could live without. but now with what I am hearing, I may have to rethink dtv as my provider.
They also, want me to pay $100 to get a whole season pass so I can watch the one or two football games my college (Purdue) plays that end up on pay per view. Comcast lets me buy those one or two games by themsleves, for like $12 a pop. That is a big difference. It is starting to sound like dtv is not really all that concerned about it's customers. Which was also the impression I got when I called them for info. Rather disturbing.

Randell

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jcd0312 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jcd0312 Find more posts by jcd0312 Add jcd0312 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcd0312

quote:
If that extra money is only for a bigger hard drive, that would be crazy. But in this world we live in, I guess it is possible.

If you want the bigger HD, you're going to have to pay for it. You could always do what was suggested above and get the 35 hour unit and upgrade the HD yourself. It's really pretty easy.
quote:
They also, want me to pay $100 to get a whole season pass so I can watch the one or two football games my college (Purdue) plays that end up on pay per view. Comcast lets me buy those one or two games by themsleves, for like $12 a pop.

I don't think that's correct. I assume you're talking about ESPN Gameplan? I'm pretty sure that you can buy single Saturdays a-la-carte without havig to buy the whole season just like you can with your comcast.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randell is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:16 AM
randell

If espn gameplan could be a la carte, that would really help. The dtv people I talked to on the phone, basically didn't know, but assumed that it wasn't. Anyone out there know for sure?

and yeah, I am thinking of getting the cheap one and upgrading... I had assumed that there was some differences other then disk space between the cheap and the more expensive dtivos.

Randell

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

paulfife is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for paulfife Find more posts by paulfife Add paulfife to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
paulfife

quote:
and yeah, I am thinking of getting the cheap one and upgrading... I had assumed that there was some differences other then disk space between the cheap and the more expensive dtivos.

Nope, no difference at all, other than the bigger drive.

Although as others have said the DirecTiVos are much more efficient with disk space than the SAs. I'm amazed that I haven't really seen much need to upgrade my 40Gig drive yet.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jcd0312 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jcd0312 Find more posts by jcd0312 Add jcd0312 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcd0312

quote:
If espn gameplan could be a la carte, that would really help.

I'm about 99.9% sure. I rarely order it since my team is usually on without it if they are at all and I usually go to a bar to watch the game anyway. I believe it was $14.99 per day last year, but we're too far out from the season yet so there's nothing specific posted on their webite (DTV).

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:04 AM
Gomer Pyle

quote:
Originally posted by paulfife
Nope, no difference at all, other than the bigger drive.

Even the different brands have the same guts, just different boxes. All are made in the same plant, side by side. There are basically three units: Stand Alone, DTiVo, and HDTiVo. They just come in different marketing flavors (excluding Series 1 units, which you can't get new any more).

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randell is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 08:55 PM
randell

Okay, I finally got someone at directv who knew the gameplan story. I just sent them an e-mail, and they responded. They said in the past, a-la-carte wasn't offered, but that last year it was. So that is finally answered... I had sent them an e-mail before I had gottena ny responses here...

Now on to some final details. The dish... If I understand it right, the triple lnb dish isn't needed unless you want HD channels. Most places will give me the single lnb dish for free, and charge about $20 for the triple. Since I don't have an HD tv, and don't intend to get an HD tivo, as far as I can tell, I only need the single lnb dish. But how many outputs does that dish have... since the Tivo needs two...

Thanks for all the help so far... I got further here in a few days then I did in all the other sources I tried for the past month. I think I am almost ready to make the order... Which is very exciting. I can't wait to tape two shows at once...

Randell

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 08:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cktb2793 Find more posts by cktb2793 Add cktb2793 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cktb2793

quote:
hmm, I looked into the cheaper directtv tivo things... They are really cheap, and have very small hard drives. Also, someone told me they were series 1. I am looking for a bigger hard drive, and series 2.
So far the only thing I have found that I like is the smasung sirs4120R. It is $300 at circuit city. That is a very big difference from the cheap ones I see all over the place with small hard drives. So is the only difference the bigger hard drive and the series 1 vs series 2?

Also, I keep hearing people talking about some kind of switch... What si the switch for?

Randell

I just got 2 of the 100 hour Samsung's today at my local Sound Advice (Tweeters) for $199 each, a third receiver free, and free installation by installers that actually work directly for Sound Advice.

Last edited by cktb2793 on 06-30-2004 at 08:48 AM

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 08:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cktb2793 Find more posts by cktb2793 Add cktb2793 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cktb2793

quote:
Originally posted by Gomer Pyle
Solidsignal has an awesome deal going on right now. Check it out here. The larger drive TiVo's are a lot more than the 40 hr, though. Do you have any computer experience? Changing out the original drive for a 160 GB (that you can get for ~$80) is a 30 minute job...

They include a dish for $20, a multiswitch if you need it for free, and free installation.

Stay away from solidsignal.com find out why in this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=182419

and this one:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=146280

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

innocentfreak is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 08:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for innocentfreak Find more posts by innocentfreak Add innocentfreak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
innocentfreak

As I also posted in one of those threads I had a similar experience with valueelectronics.com so it appears not to be just solid signal. I am not sure but right now it seems a lot of people are dropping the ball. I do have an open order with solidsignal and hopefully everything will go smoothly.

My DVD Collection

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged