TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> "factory" password on old HDR112s <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kenr is offline Old Post 09-18-2000 08:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kenr Find more posts by kenr Add kenr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenr

Talking "factory" password on old HDR112s

I have an HDR112 (manufactured late in 1999) and have found the "factory" password does not work on this unit. Has anyone had "factory" work on these older units? Anyone figure out a common password for these units?

I know how to change the password, but I'm not in the mood to crack the case open yet until I get my new "B" drive.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-18-2000 09:15 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dny238

Talking

I had to crack mine, setup the Bash prompt and then run crypto to fix it.
Haven't heard any of any other passwords begin announced.
Rob

------------------
Rob Bruce
rbruce@tactile.com

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ADent is offline Old Post 09-19-2000 06:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ADent Find more posts by ADent Add ADent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ADent
TiVo Forum Special Member

Talking

Mine was built in Oct 99 (Date one sticker near power cord plug) with 1.2.0 software (I bought it in 8/00) and the factory password did not work.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-19-2000 06:02 PM
entropy

Talking

My 112 doesn't have the "factory" password either. I wonder two things. First, was the "factory" password added with 1.3? (Of course I will test this eventually, I keep forgetting to get null modem adapters.)

Second, how can we go about cracking the password on older machines? It would be useful to know what it is, but I don't know how to avoid a power cycle between passwords, which would be hell on the machine and require a messy hardware hack. Anyone got any ideas (or a spare TiVo they want to sacrifice?)

~ Kiran &lt;entropy@io.com&gt;

------------------

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kenr is offline Old Post 09-19-2000 10:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kenr Find more posts by kenr Add kenr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenr

Talking

Perhaps if the person who originally found the "factory" password could tell us how he did it, the same method could be used on the 1.2(.1) machines.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bonehead is offline Old Post 09-19-2000 10:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonehead Find more posts by bonehead Add bonehead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonehead
TiVo Forum Special Member

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by kenr:
Perhaps if the person who originally found the "factory" password could tell us how he did it, the same method could be used on the 1.2(.1) machines.

Just search through this forum. When the password was originally posted, he also mentioned where he found it.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-19-2000 10:46 PM
toots

Talking

Where is the password kept?

Just reinstalled my backup drive. I originally enabled the password after I removed the drive, so my question is whether my password's going to change after putting the original drive back in.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 09-20-2000 01:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

Talking

It was in a script called factory-test.tcl if I remember correctly. The command to set the password (found in that file) is "crypto -u -srp factory".

On 1.2.1 machines, the command "crypto -u -srp RANDOM" is used. The RANDOM causes it to use a random string of letters and numbers. There's no way to find that password, just reset it.

Password is stored either in the PROM or some kind of memory on the crypto chip. Either way it's set by the unit, not by the hard drive.

------------------
Otto, Supreme TiVoWarrior - Moderator - AVS Forum - Tivo Underground
"If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will!" -- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Otto (edited 09-19-2000).]

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-20-2000 01:47 AM
dny238

Talking

Read the FAQ on how to change the password back to Factory, or whatever you want. I cracked the case and used Dylans disk to alter one of the boot files. It wasn't difficult.
Rob

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kenr is offline Old Post 09-20-2000 02:39 AM
kenr

Talking

Perhaps the FAQ wording can be tightened up a bit and state that 1.2.1 units will not have the password set to "factory" unless by some chance the random password gets set to "factory". It would save some of us some time, convincing us to skip that step and crack the cases right away.

[This message has been edited by kenr (edited 09-19-2000).]

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged