TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Who's going to be first to discover the backdoor code in 3.0? <<<

Pages (6): « First ... « Prev 3 4 5 [6]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
philhu is offline Old Post 05-03-2002 11:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for philhu Find more posts by philhu Add philhu to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philhu

Another Deccie here

Remember the old saying:

Ignorance is bliss, bliss is ignorance

I was on the PDP-11 RSTS timeshare development team. I did the code that allowed 64 and 128 block clustersize disks, and the init routine to allow one to format an RX-50 8" floppy disk! My claim to fame!

Phil

POST #101 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tom_h is offline Old Post 05-04-2002 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tom_h Find more posts by tom_h Add tom_h to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tom_h
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Another Deccie here

quote:
Originally posted by philhu
Remember the old saying:

Ignorance is bliss, bliss is ignorance

Phil

I think I still have the "bliss is ignorance" button somewhere.

A RSTS 11/40 running v4b was the first machine I ever used. We swapped 10 users through 8K of memory, and we each had 5K of storage on the shared RK05 disk. Had to punch the rest of your stuff on paper tape or cards.

As timesharing OS's went, it was a good one.

POST #102 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DarkHelmet is offline Old Post 05-04-2002 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DarkHelmet Find more posts by DarkHelmet Add DarkHelmet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DarkHelmet
TiVo Fanatic

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Otto
Just for giggles I reversed the byte order in my program to see how fast it would find it with the wordlist I was last using ("30BACKDORTIV251 ", 6 chars). Answer: about 5 minutes.

Heh, I can beat that..

peter@daintree[2:02pm]~-176> cc -O2 -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -o shacrack shacrack.c -lcrypto
peter@daintree[2:02pm]~-177> time ./shacrack "30BACKDORTIV251 "
Using dictionary '30BACKDORTIV251 ', length 16
NEW LENGTH 1
NEW LENGTH 2
NEW LENGTH 3
NEW LENGTH 4
NEW LENGTH 5
NEW LENGTH 6
MATCH BDx4 = '3 0 BC'
1.733u 0.007s 0:01.75 98.8% 5+179k 0+0io 0pf+0w

That's 1.7 seconds using your dictionary. (This is on a 1.2GHz Athlon, nothing too extraordinary)

Using my original full dictionary: ' 0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
MATCH BDx4 = '3 0 BC'
--> 4 minutes, 48 seconds.

The other dictionary that I nearly used takes longer because it would have to scan the entire alphabet for the first character. I ended up using the digits first because I figured it was quicker to rule out he digits as the first character. I just reran it with " ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789" and it took 29 minutes 40 seconds.

This program compares unswapped, 2-way endian swap and 4-way endian swap. My original version crunched most of the 7-char space, but that was before I added the two byte-swap alternatives. ie: the program times above include checking three possibilities per "key", not just one.

I haven't really tried all that much to optimize it yet either.

Hughes GXCEB0T (3.1.0c2 - 143 hours + turbonet)
Sony SAT-T60 (3.1.0c2 - 149 hours + turbonet)

POST #103 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 05-04-2002 05:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by DarkHelmet

Heh, I can beat that..
That's 1.7 seconds using your dictionary. (This is on a 1.2GHz Athlon, nothing too extraordinary)

Well, a) I am running Windows, b) my code was hardly optimal considering I was using a DLL that probably loaded and unloaded every bloody call, c) actually my dictionary was "BACKDORTIV30251 " if you want to get technical, meaning that 3 0 BC was near the end of the generated list. Oh, and d) who cares?

POST #104 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 05-04-2002 05:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

Re: Another Deccie here

quote:
Originally posted by philhu
I was on the PDP-11 RSTS timeshare development team. I did the code that allowed 64 and 128 block clustersize disks, and the init routine to allow one to format an RX-50 8" floppy disk! My claim to fame!

That would be quite a trick, considering the RX-50 was a funky 5-1/4" floppy drive introduced with the Rainbow 100. RX-01 or RX-02, maybe...

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #105 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DarkHelmet is offline Old Post 05-04-2002 07:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DarkHelmet Find more posts by DarkHelmet Add DarkHelmet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DarkHelmet
TiVo Fanatic

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Otto

Well, a) I am running Windows, b) my code was hardly optimal considering I was using a DLL that probably loaded and unloaded every bloody call, c) actually my dictionary was "BACKDORTIV30251 " if you want to get technical, meaning that 3 0 BC was near the end of the generated list. Oh, and d) who cares?

Heh. Nobody's fault but your own for running windows. (And no, I'm not using linux either)

peter@daintree[6:45pm]~-188> time ./shacrack "BACKDORTIV30251 "
Using dictionary 'BACKDORTIV30251 ', length 16
MATCH BDx4 = '3 0 BC'
10.387u 0.015s 0:10.46 99.3% 5+179k 0+0io 0pf+0w

I'll bet that a 50MHz PPC chip takes quite a bit longer. If my tivonet card ever arrives, I'll do a cross compile and try it out of morbid curiosity.

POST #106 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tom_h is offline Old Post 05-05-2002 02:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tom_h Find more posts by tom_h Add tom_h to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tom_h
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: Re: Another Deccie here

quote:
Originally posted by stevel

That would be quite a trick, considering the RX-50 was a funky 5-1/4" floppy drive introduced with the Rainbow 100. RX-01 or RX-02, maybe...

Actually I'm fairly certain I saw an RX50 included in some of the later "micro" versions of the '11, the pro-350 had one for sure. Pretty sure the KDJ-11 based '11's also had them as at least an option, quite late in the game.

Although I usually saw those running RSX or Ultrix rather than RSTS, but I dont doubt a port was done.

You kiddies ignore us old folks hijacking the thread to reminisce about old lumpy pieces of crap that a $20 modern video card could lay waste to...

POST #107 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 05-05-2002 07:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

Well, yes, the Pro 300/350 had the RX-50, as did the DECmate II and the Rainbow 100, all introduced at the same time. And yes, the drive did make its way into some other products, but it was a truly weird drive (like a lot of DEC stuff) - two spindles (took two disks), but only one head which moved back and forth between the two disks.

The RC25 was a similar idea, with one fixed platter and one removeable (Winchester-style), but only one spindle, so you had to spin down both disks in order to swap out the removeable one. Don't get me started on the TU-58 tape drive...

Then again, the DEC TK-50 grew into DLT, which is neat stuff.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #108 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

martinp13 is offline Old Post 05-06-2002 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for martinp13 Visit martinp13's homepage! Find more posts by martinp13 Add martinp13 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
martinp13
Official Texas TIVO

So, now that it's been found (thank you ALL!), does anyone know what it means? The old backdoors codes all "meant" something... TiVo backwards, "B D" meaning backdoors... what would this new "BC" mean?

Backdoor Charlie?

TC-Con 05/Las Vegas : Come on, you KNOW you want to go! Check it out!

"We're out of our elephant..." - uncdrew's client
"My implants are frozen!" - One of the bimbos who slept on a glacier in The Amazing Race 6

POST #109 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DarkHelmet is offline Old Post 05-06-2002 10:30 PM
DarkHelmet
TiVo Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by martinp13
So, now that it's been found (thank you ALL!), does anyone know what it means? The old backdoors codes all "meant" something... TiVo backwards, "B D" meaning backdoors... what would this new "BC" mean?

Backdoor Charlie?

Backdoor Code.

POST #110 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mishagray is offline Old Post 05-21-2002 09:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mishagray Visit mishagray's homepage! Find more posts by mishagray Add mishagray to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mishagray
Gadget afflicted

Go to the "Search By Title" screen and enter the code as the title you are looking for. Follow it with the Thumbs Up!

List your Blog/moblog/livejournal/blogger acct here: The Official TC Blog/Moblog List!

POST #111 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dcampbe1 is offline Old Post 06-07-2002 08:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dcampbe1 Find more posts by dcampbe1 Add dcampbe1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dcampbe1

quote:
Originally posted by embeem
If it's anything like the previous releases putting in a network card will automatically enable the backdoors anyways.

Hi embeem,

What's involved in putting in a network card? Will a Linksys PC wireless card work? If it will, I would be able to access the Internet via my Linksys Wireless Router.

POST #112 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged