TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Airnet drivers & instructions - online now. <<<

Pages (10): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jafa is offline Old Post 07-29-2002 02:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jafa Visit jafa's homepage! Find more posts by jafa Add jafa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jafa
TiVo Forum Special Member

Airnet drivers & instructions - online now.

Hi all,

I have finished the AirNet installation instructions and I have made a new CD image for AirNet installations.

http://www.silicondust.com/airnet/airnet.html

Enjoy.

Nick

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nelgin is offline Old Post 07-29-2002 03:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nelgin Visit nelgin's homepage! Find more posts by nelgin Add nelgin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelgin

Could you put it on a website that works please

Regards
Nigel

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jafa is offline Old Post 07-29-2002 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jafa Visit jafa's homepage! Find more posts by jafa Add jafa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jafa

It works for me, what is the problem that you are seeing?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nelgin is offline Old Post 07-29-2002 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nelgin Visit nelgin's homepage! Find more posts by nelgin Add nelgin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelgin

Hrm, works now. was getting "The page cannot be displayed" - most odd.

Oh well, thanks. Should have my Airnet here in a couple of days - already purchased by wireless access point. Going to get the stuff ready so I can get the airnet installed as soon as it's delivered!

Regards
Nigel

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nelgin is offline Old Post 07-29-2002 04:22 AM
nelgin

OK, I've read the instructions and I have a few questions.

1) Step 3. You state that your regular PC hard disk must be installed..Why? If I'm not going to do a backup (I already have one) why would I need it installed?

2) Step 10. You say that you should enter ,#401 for v3 users. Since I have DirecTivo, it is running 2.5.2 - does this mean I cannot get updates via the airnet or do I need some other code?

3) Step 5. Tivoflash - Might be nice to have a link to what it is and what it does - I've never heard of it before.

Thanks,
Nigel

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jafa is offline Old Post 07-29-2002 04:49 AM
jafa

Hi,

Step 3 - If you are not doing a backup then you don't need a PC hard disk installed. Personally I do a backup evey time i touch my tivo so that if i have to restore then i won't loose any recordings.

Step 10 - For a DTivo and SA pre-V3 it will automatically use the network adapter for the daily call unless you explicitly configure it not to (there is an option in the installer). For a SA with V3 you need to set this dialing prefix in addition.

Step 5 - Tivoflash will reflash the rom in your tivo (DTivo only) so that it won't complain that it doesn't like the AirNet driver. This modification will not remove the need for your tivo to make its daily call.

Nick

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nelgin is offline Old Post 07-29-2002 05:19 AM
nelgin

Ever since sticking a 120gig hard disk in this thing has recorded more stuff that I can possibly watch, a big purge might be in order anyway

Thanks for the quick responses.

Regards
Nigel

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GregW is offline Old Post 07-30-2002 10:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GregW Find more posts by GregW Add GregW to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregW

Nick,

Thanks for the AirNet drivers. I installed my card tonight and it's working great. I have everything installed with WEP plus the cover is on and it's about 25 feet from my access point and no external antenna.

Great Job!!!!

Thanks again,
Greg

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jafa is offline Old Post 07-30-2002 10:27 AM
jafa

Cool!

What card do you have?

Nick

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nelgin is offline Old Post 07-30-2002 11:18 AM
nelgin

I got the Zoomair 4105, the one with the external antenna. I'll maybe sell the PCI adaptor to someone . Anyway, this thing is really pissing me off. I can't get my laptop to recognise it, linux would need me to compile a whole set of drivers and my PC just hangs if I stick it all in a PCI slot. Tomorrow my Airnet arrives so I just hope it all works in there.

I'll see if I can document the process and maybe take some photos as I go along. I've already moved my TiVo and have a drillbit ready!

The nice thing about this network card is the antenna comes with a cable so you don't have to make a large hole...If you'd be happy to host it all on your website then I'll document it all.

Regards
Nigel

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nelgin is offline Old Post 07-30-2002 12:17 PM
nelgin

All I can say is...thank god for Windows ME System Restore. My pcmcia slots were really screwed up. Recovered back a week and it seems to be working fine now. I know the WAP works and the ZoomAir works, now just need to make sure that the Airnet works...and that my AP isn't too far away.

Regards
Nigel

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cmoscardini is offline Old Post 07-31-2002 12:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cmoscardini Find more posts by cmoscardini Add cmoscardini to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cmoscardini

Has anyone tried this with a lucent or orinoco card yet? I have a bunch of extra cards so this would be the best option for me. If not, any word on when future driver updates would support the card. If I can get this working, I'm going to give up my phone line all together.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GregW is offline Old Post 07-31-2002 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GregW Find more posts by GregW Add GregW to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregW

I have the Netgear MA401NA.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NuthinBetter is offline Old Post 07-31-2002 01:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NuthinBetter Find more posts by NuthinBetter Add NuthinBetter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NuthinBetter

lucent/orinoco cards

They won't work as per the developers -- they use a proprietary chipset, and the only chipset supported right now is the "Prisim 2 or 2.5" chipset.

I had one sitting in a box too...

The UNIX Guru's View of Sex:#
unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jafa is offline Old Post 07-31-2002 02:37 AM
jafa

Hi AJ,

I have just started playing with Orinoco support...

So far I have it detecting the card, configuring, and running in non-WEP mode.

If you are interested in alpha drivers in a few days then you will be welcome.

Nick

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nelgin is offline Old Post 07-31-2002 02:43 AM
nelgin

You're smart

Now, if only I could use my palm pilot to enter letters when searching for programs to record....

Regards
Nigel

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nelgin is offline Old Post 07-31-2002 08:17 AM
nelgin

Like a dream! Pulled the disk, put them in my PC, booted of the CD, did the flash thing, disks in TiVo, boot it up - shut it down, disk back in the PC, network install - shut it down. Airnet in the TiVo, disks in the TiVo, network card in the TiVo...boot it up...off it pings...telnet...ftp. It's a dream come true!

One thing to note in the instructions, it might be worth putting a small pencil mark on top of the network card to help align the pins up. You need to be careful not to push the Airnet card off the edge connector so if you attach it from the front of the box then you can get your thumbs behind the airnet while aligning with your pencil marks. Be sure to give the Airnet an extra push just to be sure it is secure.

Oh, don't forget to connect the fan or you'll be frying chips (and not the ones that go with fish either!).

Great work, thank you.

Regards
Nigel

Additional: Tivoweb is installed and I have my linux box proxying for me too. If only they put this stuff in the original box. I'm off to find some more toys.

Last edited by nelgin on 07-31-2002 at 09:49 AM

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

krichard is offline Old Post 07-31-2002 11:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for krichard Find more posts by krichard Add krichard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krichard

having issues after install

I installed the Airnet with a Zoom 4105 card and it seems to be working except I cannot change the dialing prefix to #401 because I get a "no dialtone" error. I can ping the tivo and telnet in and get a #bash prompt. I have V3, anyone know what could be going on here?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boyz is offline Old Post 07-31-2002 02:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for boyz Find more posts by boyz Add boyz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
boyz

Prism 3 Chipset Cards

I setup my Airnet on my two TiVo's yesterday using Linksys WPC-11 v3 cards which use the Prism 3 chipset.

Out of two cards I had available, one wouldn't work with Airnet until I'd updated it to the latest firmware from the Linksys website.

They're both now updated to the latest firmware and are working fine.

Last edited by boyz on 07-31-2002 at 02:32 PM

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boyz is offline Old Post 07-31-2002 03:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for boyz Find more posts by boyz Add boyz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
boyz

Jafa,

Is there any way that the airnet driver can output to the logfiles the speed that the wireless card is currently working at? I've tried using airnet_debug.o with the level 3 debugging and although it gives lots of information it doesn't report the actual wireless connection speed.

My access point shows which wireless devices are connected (Linksys WAP-11) but not what speed they are connected at. It would be handy to be able to see the actual speed to evaulate the operating range.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged