TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Disturbed with “Ed” Storyline <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
A.C. is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 11:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for A.C. Find more posts by A.C. Add A.C. to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A.C.

Angry Disturbed with “Ed” Storyline

I was watching one of my favorite shows tonight, and I have to say I was very disturbed by one of the storylines. For those of you that didn’t watch it, or don’t watch it, here’s the jest of it.

The father of one of the characters, (who happens to be 250 lbs over weight), has a heart attack. Both the father, and the character are overweight. The father’s doctor talks the boy to come in for a physical. During the physical, and doctor suggests that if the boy (high school age) doesn’t do something to change his habits soon, he will be dead. Here’s where it gets bad. The doctor suggests the new buzz procedure in medicine, gastric bypass surgery.

What’s going on here??? Why is this being advocated? Here we go again with people not taking responsibilities for their actions. Eat too much and don’t exercise, NO PROBLEM. Just have surgery, and you’ll be fine…. Give me a break. This is just the thing we don’t need to be teaching. Our society is in a downward spiral when it comes to accountability and taking responsibility for ones actions. Now Hollywood has LEAPED, head first onto the bandwagon. Where is this all going???

SLV-688HF
Ohio State Alum Go Buckeyes!!!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

biker is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 12:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for biker Find more posts by biker Add biker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biker
Advanced Member

The actor had it done in real life.

Last edited by biker on 12-12-2002 at 01:05 PM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dthmj is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 01:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dthmj Find more posts by dthmj Add dthmj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dthmj
Kickball, real sport

He actually had it done in September and as of last week had lost 70 lbs.

I'm sure they had to write in a reason for his weight loss in the story line - and my guess is they decided to go with the truth.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maui is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 01:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maui Find more posts by Maui Add Maui to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maui
The Eternal Newbie

Well, I have no problem with it since it is the truth.

And I refuse to make any comments about the actor having it done because like he said in tonights episode. I really have no idea what it must be like.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AJRitz is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 06:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AJRitz Visit AJRitz's homepage! Find more posts by AJRitz Add AJRitz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AJRitz
Malcontent

A.C. - I have a relative who had this procedure, and you're WAY off in thinking that gastric bypass is a treatment for "people not taking responsibilities for their actions". Gastric bypass is a treatment for people for whom obesity is an illness in and of itself. Saying that gastric bypass is a cop-out for people who can't control themselves indicates a serious misunderstanding of the surgery and its aftereffects. Once the surgery is done, the patient MUST severely restrict food intake - certain foods are to be avoided entirely and portion sizes are strictly monitored. Failure to follow the plan can cause VERY serious medical complications.

What I'm tired of, A.C., are people who have no clue about the subject on which they are commenting insisting on denigrating people who are different from themselves.

I thoroughly approve of Mrs. AJRitz! - Graymalkin, pendragn

Read my blog

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grecorj is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 08:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grecorj Visit grecorj's homepage! Find more posts by grecorj Add grecorj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grecorj
TiVo Forum Special Member

I, too, have a relative who had this procedure done recently. As AJRitz said, this isn't something for someone who just wants to "lose a few pounds" and "take the easy way out".

IIRC, Al Roker had this surgery done recently. He had been dieting/exercising for all his life and was still severely overweight.

--------------------------------------------

My other comment is: how difficult must it have been for the actor to do those scenes about his weight??

Looking for news about TiVo? Try TiVoNews

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Agatha Mystery is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Agatha Mystery Visit Agatha Mystery's homepage! Find more posts by Agatha Mystery Add Agatha Mystery to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Agatha Mystery
bite me

Teenagers are now having this procedure done. It's beginning to happen. There was even a show with Connie Chung on yesterday that discussed the same thing.

Kids can have major health problems due to obesity. The surgery is a last ditch effort after all other avenues have been tried and failed. It's physically hard on your body (my sis-in-law had it done). It's also dangerous (my co-worker's mother died). I don't think it's anything to be taken lightly. The surgery has been promoted in other avenues (Al Roker, Carnie Wilson, etc) and they can devote more to Mark's storyline about his health this way. At least they're being truthful about what's going on, instead of making a story that would explain his reality.

My blog

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nataylor is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nataylor Find more posts by nataylor Add nataylor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nataylor
Curiously Strong

And what's up with people with broken bones getting casts? If you go skiing, you must know that breaking a leg is a serious possibility. Now you expect medicine to come along and fix you up? I say take responsibility for your actions and live with your broken leg!

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

A.C. is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 09:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for A.C. Find more posts by A.C. Add A.C. to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A.C.

quote:
And what's up with people with broken bones getting casts? If you go skiing, you must know that breaking a leg is a serious possibility. Now you expect medicine to come along and fix you up? I say take responsibility for your actions and live with your broken leg!

You obviously have no clue what I'm talking about, but thanks for playing!!

I've read all of the posts so far and I think people are missing what I'm trying to saying. I can sympathize with a person that is so far over weight that life is more of a chore than something worth living. And I also know all about the aftermath of a procedure like this. I too have watched the Dateline specials and seen Al talk about all the restrictions, possible complications, and life altering mearsures that must be taken after this surgery. I'm aware of all that stuff.

If they had to write this into the storyline because Mark is actually having this done, well, I'm not sure what to think about that. My problem is that here is you have a character, who is in high school, who's having this procedure done (remember, I had a problem with the storyline, not the person in real life). What is that saying to today's youth??? If you do have an overweight child, or had one, is this the message you want them to hear?

Not knowing how old the actor is in real life, (probably in his 20's), I have a hard time seeing this as the last possible alternative. There are many people in this world that have been way over weight, and beaten obesity. But let's be honest, it takes...no demands....a COMPLETE lifestyle change; and lets face it, that's hard...very hard, and most people aren't willing to make that kind of commitment, (my accountability and responsability point). Is having the surgery more or less of a lifesytle change than trying to lose the weight? Probably not, but it sure takes a lot less work and dedication to complete (upfront work). Why do I say this? Because if a person does opt for the surgery, then they have no other alternative than to follow the strict restrictions that follow. If not, they probably will die or have major comlications.

That's why I say it's the easier way out when the ultimate goal is to live longer. Your choices are, to change everything you know, work harder than you ever have in your life, or have this procedure, and deal with a ton of restructions having no idea how you'll like it simply because you've never dealt with it, yet.

That's why I say it's an accountability issue. Personally, I would never, EVER opt for this procedure. Simply because there are people out there, Jerod, for example, that have lost the weight and kept it off. It's hard to do, damn hard, but it can be done.

SLV-688HF

Last edited by A.C. on 12-12-2002 at 09:39 PM

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hunter Green is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hunter Green Visit Hunter Green's homepage! Find more posts by Hunter Green Add Hunter Green to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Just for another data point, my father died of that operation. He had no acute problems at the time he went in.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fmowry is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 10:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for fmowry Find more posts by fmowry Add fmowry to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fmowry
How YOU Doin?

"Once the surgery is done, the patient MUST severely restrict food intake - certain foods are to be avoided entirely and portion sizes are strictly monitored.
Failure to follow the plan can cause VERY serious medical complications. "

If they would have followed a stricter diet to begin with, they wouldn't have the problem in the first place. And I'm not talking an ounce of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm talking a halfway sensible diet and some activity besides changing video games and using a remote. I'm well aware of the surgery. Watched the Carnie Wilson surgery. Heard her many times being interviewed.

I guess fat guys like Roker somehow mysteriously defy the laws of physics. Calorie surplus, gain weight, calorie deficit, lose weight. Granted some people have different resting metabolic rates than others but that fact remains that most thyroid problems are the result of obesity, not the cause. Americans aren't mysteriously getting fatter from some conspiracy, and we don't have rampant diabetes because of the effects of global warming. I'm sorry to say it's out of control food consumption and lack of activity (let alone exercise) folks. Eating out of control is an illness as much as laziness is.

1980 - average size of a Coke 12 oz
2002 - average size of a Coke 24 oz

Multiply that by the # of Cokes a day and you can see why we're getting fatter.

Ed is a lawyer. The storyline should have been the kid sues McDonalds for his own inability to not eat food that makes you fat.

Actually I have no problem with the storyline. I just hope they address how the kid got that way (if they didn't already) and the dangers involved. I haven't watched the show yet.

I'm with you A.C. A total change in lifestyle is required and I think this show could leave younger people to think that surgery is the way to go (and easier) despite the extreme lifestyle changes. It will force them to change whereas diet and exercise won't.

nataylor,
You're example is flawed in that a broken bone is an accident. Nobody accidentally eats themselves into obesity.

Frank

Last edited by fmowry on 12-12-2002 at 10:07 PM

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

A.C., IIRC, during that same discussion between Mark and Mike, it was mentioned that none of the dieting had ever worked. Although it was brief, as minor character parts usually are, I came away with the impression that they had tried, and tried to deal with this problem. At that point in time, Mark is 250 lbs over weight, and having serious high blood pressure problems. Now, his father's heart attack indicates a problem for Mark is coming.

For the amount of time available, I think they did a good job of presenting this story line. All the pieces are there to support the conclusion.

Thinking back, we've seen previous attempts by Mark to deal with his weight, unsuccessfully.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fmowry is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 10:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for fmowry Find more posts by fmowry Add fmowry to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fmowry
How YOU Doin?

It is TV afterall so I guess since people are doing this in real life, it's about time a character who has had weight problems in previous episodes does the same. Logical and makes for a better storyline. Besides since he had it in real life it would be harder to explain the severe weight loss from dieting.

Now a flesh eating disease on the other hand....

Did they ever explain on the show how the nurse on ER lost so much weight (she had the procedure too). I don't recall. I thought they never even addressed it.

Frank

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LilMomma is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LilMomma Find more posts by LilMomma Add LilMomma to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LilMomma

I am so sorry for your loss Hunter Green.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cathy/Vik is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cathy/Vik Visit Cathy/Vik's homepage! Find more posts by Cathy/Vik Add Cathy/Vik to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cathy/Vik
Mrs BiggestNerdEver

quote:
Originally posted by A.C.
Here we go again with people not taking responsibilities for their actions. Eat too much and don’t exercise, NO PROBLEM. Just have surgery, and you’ll be fine….
Did you turn off the show as soon as the term was mentioned or were we watching totally different shows????

The character talked about some of the potential bad things from this operation. IE: not being able to eat much AT ALL the REST of his life, daily vomiting, dying from the operation

And this is where tv guide comes in handy...
They had a little blurb on the fact that the actor has recently had this surgery. They were going to have to address the sudden weight loss *somehow* so they used real life. I think that shows guts on the actor's part.

Ok, I don't have TiVo, but I LOVE TV!!

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 12-12-2002 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

quote:
Originally posted by Cathy/Vik
I think that shows guts on the actor's part.

Before anyone takes this down, I also think it took guts for him to take of as much clothing as he did last night.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bryanmc is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 12:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bryanmc Visit Bryanmc's homepage! Find more posts by Bryanmc Add Bryanmc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryanmc
Will work for money.

Just stopped in here, don't really watch the show, but the same thing (if not similar) was addressed on Everwood.

It was an older man, but Dr. Brown offered this procedure as a possible solution to the man's weight problem.

Just found it interesting that 2 different shows are talking about this.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

njdtivo is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 12:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for njdtivo Find more posts by njdtivo Add njdtivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
njdtivo

AC, obesity is a disease which for many can be as difficult to control as your intolerance and know it all attitude.

Perhaps before you make further ill informed statements you should do some reading concerning recent medical findings concerning the roles of genetics and biochemistry in severe obesity. No Dr. is recommending this surgery lightly, and no patient is undergoing this surgery without serious thought.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

A.C. is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 12:46 AM
A.C.

quote:
And this is where tv guide comes in handy...
They had a little blurb on the fact that the actor has recently had this surgery. They were going to have to address the sudden weight loss *somehow* so they used real life. I think that shows guts on the actor's part.

I TOTALLY agree with you on that part. Along with feeling comfortable enough to show his almost naked self from the waist up on national TV. For the entire country to see that must have taken a lot of guts.

I don't have a problem with the fact that the REAL LIFE person is having this done. I would hope that every possible effort was made to loss the weight prior to the surgery. What I have a problem with is the storyline, and what it's saying to our youth. To mention in passing that he's tried to loss weight in the past doesn't cut it. TO ME the storyline is saying to our youth (remember the character is in high school), that effort, determinitaion, accountability, and responsabilty don't hold the level of importance that they should. If they had to write it into the show, fine. I don't have a problem with that. I wish they would have taken a little more time to deal with it, (which they might do). I wish that they could have shown that this has to be an ABSOLUTE last resort, (probably asking too much for an hour long show once a week). Just my .02 cents.....

SLV-688HF

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

A.C. is offline Old Post 12-13-2002 12:53 AM
A.C.

quote:
Originally posted by njdtivo
AC, obesity is a disease which for many can be as difficult to control as your intolerance and know it all attitude.

Perhaps before you make further ill informed statements you should do some reading concerning recent medical findings concerning the roles of genetics and biochemistry in severe obesity. No Dr. is recommending this surgery lightly, and no patient is undergoing this surgery without serious thought.

Aren't you making some strong assumptions? How do you know I myself aren't 200 lbs. over weight???

I realize the roles of genetics and biochemisty play in sevre obesity. And I am hardly being intolerant, nor do I claim to know it all.

AGAIN..understand. I don't have a problem with the procedure, if it is absolutely the last option. I just didn't like how it was presented in the story line of a high school age character.

SLV-688HF

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged