TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> HOWTO: limited, "semi-soft" padding <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ccwf is offline Old Post 09-20-2002 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

HOWTO: limited, "semi-soft" padding

This is a technique I have been using for the past couple of weeks which successfully implements a very limited amount of the soft padding functionality that people (myself included) would so dearly like. However, it is harder than and less intelligent than "real" soft padding, as will be explained below.

The technique is to schedule recordings multiple times in a block in the Season Pass Manager, prioritized from most padded to least padded.

• recording with (regular, i.e., "hard") padding
  • if desired, recordings with intermediate amounts of padding
  • unpadded recording
Note: The same show on the same channel cannot have multiple season passes, so use wishlists to schedule it again with different amounts of padding.

The end result is that padding will be automatically added if and only if it will not conflict with a recording of higher priority.
  • With respect to higher-priority scheduled recordings, the multiply scheduled recording block functions like limited soft padding. The multiply-scheduled recording is padded when there is no conflicting higher-priority program, and it is recorded without padding when a higher-priority program conflicts with the padding.
  • With respect to lower-priority scheduled recordings, the multiply-scheduled recording functions is equivalent to hard padding. Lower-priority recordings cannot prevent padding from being used in the multiply-scheduled recording, so padding can in the multiply-scheduled recording can interfere with lower-priority recordings.
Consequently, this technique is most useful for middle to low-priority recordings. In fact, it is redundant for the highest priority recording since it then always functions as hard padding.

Warning: Overuse of this trick can cause the number of entries in the season pass manager to explode, which seems make a number of TiVo operations take longer.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Demandred is offline Old Post 09-20-2002 11:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Demandred Visit Demandred's homepage! Find more posts by Demandred Add Demandred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Demandred
#58 Growlithe

What a good idea. Here's a real-world implementation of this I just thought of. Survivor often runs a few minutes over. (the person who gets voted out gives "final thoughts". We also record CSI, so we usually catch that. But if for some reason CSI is not shown that night, we miss it.

If I set up 3 season passes, one for Survivor, no pad, one for Survivor, 5 min pad, and one for CSI, I could always catch the "final thoughts".

I'd put them in this order:

CSI
Survivor, with pad
Survivor, no pad

If CSI was on, it would record CSI, and Survivor with no pad.

If there was no CSI, it would record Survivor with pad.

Cool!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dd9 is offline Old Post 09-21-2002 01:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dd9 Find more posts by dd9 Add dd9 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dd9
TiVo Forum Special Member

Pretty good idea for SA units - but not combos.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

barclay is offline Old Post 09-21-2002 02:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for barclay Visit barclay's homepage! Find more posts by barclay Add barclay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barclay
Advanced Member

I do this on my combo for baseball. One wishlist adds an hour of padding, and the one below it adds no padding.

It works very well, since TiVo won't try to record the same program on both tuners (well, normally). So if there's a 3-way conflict for the hour of padding, I don't get it, but I still get the majority of the game.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged